Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
A little curious why you are still using Catalina as base? Something something backups?
Because it's the last macOS supported version for rMBP10,1 which lives on an external SSD. Actually it's the old 512 GB OEM drive in an OWC Envoy enclosure that I bought when I installed the OWC 1 TB drive.

Reactions: houser

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Yes, probably a Catalina limitation running from the external SSD. Since I nuked the internal drive (i.e. was not installing in a separate partition like you're doing in your setup) my options were limited. Catalina is currently reinstalling on the nuked internal drive, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to rebuild back up to Sonoma from there.

I'll probably curb my impatience and wait for the Sequoia public release and public OCLP 1.6.0 release before attempting Sequoia again!

Consider following approach:
Edit: added some information, and work flow clarifications.

Install Catalina, download latest Sequoia installer onto Catalina -> install latest OCLP 1.6n ->create a new *Volume* (not partition) with disk utility and name said volume whatever you wish, e.g., Sequoia ->open downloaded installer package and launch it. It will place Apple installer application in Catalina's application folder. -> Launch the Apple installer located in Application folder. It will go through standard installation process and you should be able to install the Sequoia without problems. I was able to install Sequoia on iMac 13,2 when USB thumb Drive installation caused "... this mac is not compatible ..."; method worked for me on several occasions with different iteration sof Mac OS X Sequoia installed on internal fusion HDD and external USB.

Hope this may help.

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Imac2713.2/3802----My experience is similar to yours, erased partitions, then TimeMachine(I am glad I listened to precautions), when I began OCLP 1.6n USB builder and pressed the Sonoma and found Sonoma and Sequioa, I tried Sequioa and got the same "macOS Sequoia Beta is not compatible with this Mac" message and tried many different solutions to no avail, finally I selected Sonoma which was excellent, and now I am looking at the Sequioa 15.1 beta download in software update.
That is very interesting to hear. I think maybe @houser got it working without problems on the same SSD, separate partition, because it would naturally share the same EFI, and both are recent versions. Maybe, but I really don't know.

Reactions: ronton3

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Consider following approach:

Install Catalina, download latest Sequoia installer onto Catalina -> install latest OCLP 1.6n ->create a new *Volume* (not partition) with disk utility and name said volume whatever you wish, e.g., Sequoia ->open downloaded installer package and launch it. It will place Apple installer application in Catalina's application folder. -> Launch the Apple installer located in Application folder. It will go through standard installation process and you should be able to install the Sequoia without problems. I was able to install Sequoia on iMac 13,2 when USB thumb Drive installation gave caused "... this mac is not compatible ..." message; method worked for me on several occasions, when USB thumb drive installer failed with " ... not compatible with this mac..".

Hope this may help.
Thanks everybody, great feedback. Now I've got Catalina back on the main drive I've got a few options to consider.

Reactions: houser

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
I updated 13.2/3802 OTA to 15.0, when the patcher starts it downloads "metal lib" before patching begins. I am now in the trees again.

The changelog has many interesting updates and now says 2.0.0. Thanks again to the Devs for early 3802 support.

Last edited:

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Just downloaded the latest nightly OCLP dated today. It's been relabeled "version 2.0.0 (Nightly)". Sequoia beta is appearing for downloading, and Sonoma 14.7 is not.
Downloaded it too and metal support for 3802 is now in the main nightly.
Patched a rMBP 10,1 and it works for Sonoma as well as Sequoia b8 and updates for Sonoma and Sequoia appear as they should, including 14.7.

It is still a little hard to believe that we have been lucky to see this degree of legacy support for our old Macs.
Sincere thanks as always to the fabulous Devs!

Last edited:

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
Latest Nightly is 2.0.0 - adding a few more. Great work of the Developers.

But seems no chance for my 2009 iMac as he is 21.5" - non Metal GPU 🥲 (NVIDIA GeForce 9400 .. no easy replacement in sight)

An update to this **early** *preview* of Sequoia support is now out, adding support for 3802 Metal graphics.

- MacBook8,1 - MacBook10,1 (2015 - 2017 MacBook)
- MacBookAir7,x (2015 - 2017 MacBook Air)
- MacBookAir8,x is **unsupported** because of T2 compatibility issues.
- MacBookPro9,x - MacBookPro14,x (2012 - 2017 MacBook Pro)
- Macmini6,x - Macmini7,1 (2012 - 2014 Mac mini)
- iMac10,x - iMac18,x (Late 2009 - 2018 iMac)
- iMac10,x - iMac12,x require Metal GPUs.
- MacPro3,1 - MacPro6,1 (2008 - 2017 Mac Pro)
- MacPro3,1 - MacPro5,1 require Metal GPUs
- Dual CPU MacPro3,1 models are **unsupported**.
- Xserve2,1 - 3,1 (2008 - 2009 Xserve)
- Requires Metal GPUs
- Dual CPU Xserve2,1 models are **unsupported**.

Last edited:

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
The widgets I’ve got on the desktop all work that I enabled on Sonoma before upgrading but can’t get in menu to add more (which I think happened early on in Sonoma) but you could do it reverting patches tried another mid 2014 MacBook Pro still getting green screen errors in safari , Apple TV etc .
I am able to play free episodes on AppleTV+, Youtube. With Netflix, I get error S7006.
After removing all data and log in again, it still does not play. I can play it on Firefox...

The Widgets created on Sonoma were blank when I updated to Sequoia. They remain blank after a couple of reboots, therefore I removed them booting in SafeMode.

Last edited:

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
rMBP10,1 2012 updated from Catalina to Sequoia 15.0 b8 + OCLP 2.0.0 nightly successfully.

Many auto reboots, took a while. Had one glitch regarding unable to find install-to drive which was a tad concerning. Only option presented was to start in target disk mode, no thanks!

So I did a forced power-off and restarted. Install process continued without further errors.

Looking very good at this point.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I am able to play free episodes on AppleTV+, Youtube. With Netflix, I get error S7006.
After removing all data and log in again, it still does not play. I can play it on Firefox...

The Widgets created on Sonoma were blank when I updated to Sequoia. They remain blank after a couple of reboots, therefore I removed them booting in SafeMode.

Random all widgets working fine that I left on from Sonoma with no issues but I can’t play anything unless it’s in Firefox, chrome, but photos, messages home secure video play without any graphical errors I was reading a discussion on the green screen where alot of people got green screen glitches from Big Sur beta 3 onwards and think mines related to that tried two MacBook Pros 2014 both experience same error but both ok with widgets but again they are the same specs maybe I was lucky I didn’t experience these errors in Big Sur.

Last edited:

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
rMBP10,1 2012 updated from Catalina to Sequoia 15.0 b8 + OCLP 2.0.0 nightly successfully.
>>>
Looking very good at this point.
Glad to hear it fellow 10,1 user ;)
So far also less fans compared to Sonoma, but early days and don't want to jinx it ;)
But agree, looking good...

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011

I can create widgets and play ATV+ DRM content on both devices: MM7,1 and MBA 7,2 without any problem or did I missunderstand something?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-07 um 16.37.52.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-07 um 16.37.52.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: MacRumors3590

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I can create widgets and play ATV+ DRM content on both devices: MM7,1 and MBA 7,2 without any problem or did I missunderstand something?
I'm having issues with my Haswell machines, including the MM7,1. The MacBookAir7,2 is my wife's and I don't dare touch it until the developers bless us with the OCLP 2.0.0 release. 😂

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
I'm having issues with my Haswell machines, including the MM7,1. The MacBookAir7,2 is my wife's and I don't dare touch it until the developers bless us with the OCLP 2.0.0 release. 😂
What kind of issue do you have with your MM7,1? I canˋt realize any difference to Sonoma 14,6,1 with Sequoia b8.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Anyone had OTA update success from 14.7 using OCLP 2.0.0.0n to Sequoia beta 8 on MBP 15" 13,3 (w/ touchbar)?

cybazaar

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
MacBookPro11,2 - Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro

Installed beta 8 with the last nightly OCLP build. First boot showed a scrambled login screen. Booted into Safe mode, applied patches, and then it booted fine. Note, patching took a lot longer than it used to with Sonoma, but it was progressing, not stuck. Didn't need to download anything manually, nor connect any cables for connectivity. Wi-Fi worked and connected automatically to known networks. Most things work as before except the two I noticed so far:

- iPhone Mirroring doesn't work with my iPhone 13 Pro.
- Continuity Camera doesn't work either - it used to work with later Sonoma builds

Update: both of these are known problems at this point. iPhone mirroring requires Apple silicon.

Update: Continuity camera is working again with the 2.0.0 nightly build.

Not sure if iPhone Mirroring could be made to work on Intel Macs.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
That will definitely need T2 chip
I know it is needed now, and according to what I have read, the T2 chip (and the moving target it is, T3, T4 etc) will probably never be emulated in a useful way on Intel. !t's "too complex and too performant." to quote a good post on Reddit. But if anybody could do it, I would not bet against the OCLP devs ;)
The Apple ARM chips are currently the best there is, and when Apple closes the door on anything but their own silicon, the hackintosh and OCLP crowds will have to think again. I am sure Dortania will have some interesting thoughts on this at some point.

Regardless, we will probably need to be ready to buy a new Mac or transition to Linux on our old Intel Macs in 5 years
if we want security updates. Which considering it all, is not bad going for Macs that will be close to 20 years at the time. Unless someone comes up with a way for security and webkit updates etc. for the last Intel version of MacOS which maybe appears more likely than T2 support. ... and to close the loop probably not likely either.

Last edited:

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
I know it is needed now, and according to what I have read, the T2 chip (and the moving target it is, T3, T4 etc) will probably never be emulated in a useful way on Intel. !t's "too complex and too performant." to quote a good post on Reddit. But if anybody could do it, I would not bet against the OCLP devs ;)
The Apple ARM chips are currently the best there is, and when Apple closes the door on anything but their own silicon, the hackintosh and OCLP crowds will have to think again. I am sure Dortania have some interesting thoughts on this at some point.

Regardless, we will probably have to be ready to buy a new Mac or transition to Linux on our old Intel Macs in 5 years.
Which considering it all, is not bad going for Macs that will be close to 20 years at the time.
Unless someone comes up with a way for security and webkit updates etc. for the last Intel version of MacOS which appears more likely than T2 support and to close the loop probably not likely either.
Fully agree… in the meantime I am happy to run my 2009 iMac 10,1 21.5“ on Sonoma and my MacBook Pro 10,2 on Sequoia (no T2).
Thinking the iMac is already getting pretty old that’s not too bad 😇

Very thankful what the patcher team was/is/will be able to do

Reactions: Larsvonhier

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
OTA Updated 12" MacBook 9,1 (not Air or MBP) from 14.7 to Sequoia 15.0 (24A5331b). Preinstalled 2.0.0.0n to EFI before starting. Final stage required NVRAM reset (space bar at OCLP start) followed by reboot and then Safe boot (Shift key) to get to desktop andf run root patch to correct display resolution and enable Wi-Fi. Seems to be OK but not tested all functions. Good job devs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.