Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

perez987

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2021
Spain
Reactions: macinfo and Sven G

stefanwa

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Took the risk and installed latest beta with latest OCLP 1.6 nightly sequoia branch on my MBP2016 (MacBookPro13,3) - so far it's working fine with root patches. Manually installed the 15.0 KDK bevor rebooting the installer.

Reactions: MacRumors3590

zero.x23

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
MacBookPro11,2 - Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro

Installed beta 8 with the last nightly OCLP build. First boot showed a scrambled login screen. Booted into Safe mode, applied patches, and then it booted fine. Note, patching took a lot longer than it used to with Sonoma, but it was progressing, not stuck. Didn't need to download anything manually, nor connect any cables for connectivity. Wi-Fi worked and connected automatically to known networks. Most things work as before except the two I noticed so far:

- iPhone Mirroring doesn't work with my iPhone 13 Pro.
- Continuity Camera doesn't work either - it used to work with later Sonoma builds

Update: both of these are known problems at this point. iPhone mirroring requires Apple silicon.
Did work Facescanning or Facedetecting in Photos App?

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
^^^ Yes, the MBP11,3 now works with the latest Sequoia OCLP nightly developer build; which is available here (just install the app, OpenCore and then the root patches; no workarounds needed):

Last edited:
Reactions: macpro_mid2014

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Yes. I would venture a guess that that issue is at the heart of it. It should be resolved down the road.
Widgets do not work (still) on myMPB and MacMini (both Haswell). Screen is unresponsive and I have to reboot the computer every time I click on Edit Widget.
I am going to test now the FeatureUnlock -> Enabled (I was having some issues with freezes and unresponsive display when enabling it). Let's see...

Reactions: chris1111

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Widgets do not work (still) on myMPB and MacMini (both Haswell). Screen is unresponsive and I have to reboot the computer every time I click on Edit Widget.
I am going to test now the FeatureUnlock -> Enabled (I was having some issues with freezes and unresponsive display when enabling it). Let's see...
FWIW,, I have that set to partial on a rMBP 10,1 as that is required to get screen mirroring to an Apple TV to work.
Very polished and functional so far with b8.

Last edited:

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
I have solved this issue with Sentinel
Looks like an interesting and useful little app; BTW, here is an article on Ars Technica about the new Gatekeeper changes in macOS Sequoia:

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
The terminal command for any app also still works last time I checked:
Code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /path-to-quarantined-file
It is also not that big a deal if you are only using a few apps that require hoops-jumping, as you just have to go to Privacy and Security settings and allow the app once after attempting to open it. If you need more, a search at Github for
Code:
Disable-Gatekeeper-macOS-Sequoia
will also give you some repos that allow you to disable gatekeeper entirely during the testing and dev phases by adding a profile in Privacy and Security settings. According to one git, it is apparently (true or not) created by dhinaK, one of the lead devs of OCLP FWIW, if you know what you are doing. I am not linking to it as I can not vouch for it or review the code and gatekeeper is there for a reason ;).

Last edited:

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012

The widgets I’ve got on the desktop all work that I enabled on Sonoma before upgrading but can’t get in menu to add more (which I think happened early on in Sonoma) but you could do it reverting patches tried another mid 2014 MacBook Pro still getting green screen errors in safari , Apple TV etc .

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
the latest Sequoia-Nightly of 1.6.o - adding integration of the MetallibSupportPkg system - rocks the show.

My old MacBook Pro 10,2 fully accelerated - running like a charm on Sequoia.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 17.07.16.png

Last edited:

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Anyone know how to get around the "macOS Sequoia Beta is not compatible with this Mac" message?

Situation: Attempting to do a clean install of Seqoia beta 8 on rMBP10,1. Erased the Mac using disk utility. Copied installer to the top level (empty) SSD folder, and ran it from there while booted into Catalina on external SSD. WiFi seems to be unavailable, and my ethernet dongle is not working so can't use that. Otherwise I'd use Recovery mode to reinstall macOS and upgrade from there.

I had downloaded the beta 8 installer from Mr Mac's site, and made the USB key using OCLP 1.6.0n on a supported Mac, specifying the correct target host model, so OCLP should be installed.

I did try booting the USB installer directly, no luck, got either the Stop sign 🚫 or the same message as above when using it from the Recovery mode option. I'm not sure what to try next, so all ideas gratefully received, thanks!

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
Anyone know how to get around the "macOS Sequoia Beta is not compatible with this Mac" message?

Situation: Attempting to do a clean install of Seqoia beta 8 on rMBP10,1. Erased the Mac using disk utility. Copied installer to the top level (empty) SSD folder, and ran it from there while booted into Catalina on external SSD. WiFi seems to be unavailable, and my ethernet dongle is not working so can't use that. Otherwise I'd use Recovery mode to reinstall macOS and upgrade from there.

I had downloaded the beta 8 installer from Mr Mac's site, and made the USB key using OCLP 1.6.0n on a supported Mac, specifying the correct target host model, so OCLP should be installed.

I did try booting the USB installer directly, no luck, got either the Stop sign 🚫 or the same message as above when using it from the Recovery mode option. I'm not sure what to try next, so all ideas gratefully received, thanks!

You need an bootable USB built and installed with OpenCore to boot, have you tried to run the OpenCore Patcher to do this on your Catalina external SSD?

Reactions: ronton3

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try and understand the workflow there.
It is nothing new and nothing fancy. The workflow is the same as OCLP always has been. You just install the sequoia branch OCLP EFI to your usual EFI partition or the USB EFI and start the install from USB. We have the same Mac. That works here. If you have separate partitions of Sequoia and Sonoma, you can use the Sequoia branch EFI for both. Good luck..

Reactions: LutzRFrank

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
It is nothing new and nothing fancy. The workflow is the same as OCLP always has been. You just install the sequoia branch OCLP EFI to your usual EFI partition or the USB EFI and start the install from USB. We have the same Mac. That works here. If you have separate partitions of Sequoia and Sonoma, you can use the Sequoia branch EFI for both. Good luck..
Hmm, thanks. I think I must have messed up making the USB key with OCLP + Sequoia installer. I'm redoing it now and will try again.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Still no joy, version is incompatible message whether I boot Catalina ext ssd with oclp installed > built and copied to disk, or run the installer from finder targeting the internal SSD's copy of the installer. Maybe I need to run the installer from Catalina, will try that.... Nope, put installer in Applications of the Catalina drive, no dice.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I've tried several permutations and can't get past the version incompatibility message. But at least WiFI is working again on the Catalina ext SSD boot. I'll go to plan B and use Recovery to install Catalina on the internal SSD and go from there.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
I've tried several permutations and can't get past the version incompatibility message. But at least WiFI is working again on the Catalina ext SSD boot. I'll go to plan B and use Recovery to install Catalina on the internal SSD and go from there.
I am probably missing something here, but would assume the issue is with Catalina. When I started testing Sequoia I did the install from a Sonoma Partition on the same SSD to a newly created partition in the same container and the sequoia branch EFI shared between the Sonoma and Sequoia partitions , and that worked first time. No USB, just the "Install Sequoia beta" from the applications folder on Sonoma. But a USB Sequoia installer stick with the Sequoia OCLP EFI should also work.

Last edited:

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Yes, probably a Catalina limitation running from the external SSD. Since I nuked the internal drive (i.e. was not installing in a separate partition like you're doing in your setup) my options were limited. Catalina is currently reinstalling on the nuked internal drive, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to rebuild back up to Sonoma from there.

I'll probably curb my impatience and wait for the Sequoia public release and public OCLP 1.6.0 release before attempting Sequoia again!

Reactions: houser

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
'll probably curb my impatience and wait for the Sequoia public release and public OCLP 1.6.0 release before attempting Sequoia again!
Ok. FWIW, my multi boot with Sonoma and Sequoia works very well so far. Very similar in performance for the two.
Close to flawless on both. A little curious why you are still using Catalina as base? Something something backups?

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021

Imac2713.2/3802----My experience is similar to yours, erased partitions, then TimeMachine(I am glad I listened to precautions), when I began OCLP 1.6n USB builder and pressed the Sonoma and found Sonoma and Sequioa, I tried Sequioa and got the same "macOS Sequoia Beta is not compatible with this Mac" message and tried many different solutions to no avail, finally I selected Sonoma which was excellent, and now I am looking at the Sequioa 15.1 beta download in software update.

Reactions: rehkram
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.