Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I can confirm using OCLP 2.0 nightly even on 14.7 will produce same error im by no way clever enough to fix it however I installed big sur on a partition and copied some files back across which produced low quality video instead of green screen glitch
cc9f5dc07a86a9d59f30f9b799568bec.jpg

cybazaar

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
Fully agree… in the meantime I am happy to run my 2009 iMac 10,1 21.5“ on Sonoma and my MacBook Pro 10,2 on Sequoia (no T2).
Thinking the iMac is already getting pretty old that’s not too bad 😇
It’s amazing how well my 2013 MBP still works, and looks. You couldn’t tell it was 11 years old. The hardware is beautiful and has stood the test of time. It’s a shame that Apple wouldn’t stand behind their hardware with software support for longer. If anything it would only add to the company’s credibility and lore. If a dozen or so freelancers can do this with no support from Apple, Apple could do it very easily with little additional cost.

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
New theme Flavours-Curvy Containing 60 Linux Distro, Windows11 Windows10 icons
Theme attaching here

Setting up theme Flavours-Curvy

Misc -> Boot -> HideAuxiliary: false
Misc -> Boot -> PickerVariant: chris1111\Flavours-Curvy
Misc -> Boot -> PickerAtributes: 145
Misc -> Boot -> Picker Mode -> External
Misc -> Boot -> Timeout -> : 5
Misc -> Boot -> ShowPicker: true

Flavours-Curvy.png

This is what it like on my Mac BookPro

08130302.png

Attachments

• Flavours-Curvy.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 25

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
id faciam periculo meo - I worked out the meaning from behind - my peril, before 'faciam' (from an old saying - cucullum non facit monacum - the hood does not make a monk). Nice to know we have folks on this forum that send us scrurrying for a translator. Apologies for the digression.
Digression: Many Greek and Roman proverbs / allegories were translated or written in Latin (respectively); those stood the test of time despite Latin being described as "dead language". An admonition in first person "I will do it at my peril", when referring to experimentation. Allegorically, "cucullum non facit monacum" or "caveat emptor" would deliver the same message.

Oxygen-X1

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Now the question again:

Is it now possible, after the many new OCLP updates of the last few days,
for the full graphics acceleration of the nVidia GTX 780M (4GB) to work in an iMac late 2013 (27 inch)?

What is the current status of this Keppler-based nVidia GTX 780M graphics card?

Thanks for the information on this.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
OTA Updated 12" MacBook 9,1 (not Air or MBP) from 14.7 to Sequoia 15.0 (24A5331b). Preinstalled 2.0.0.0n to EFI before starting. Final stage required NVRAM reset (space bar at OCLP start) followed by reboot and then Safe boot (Shift key) to get to desktop andf run root patch to correct display resolution and enable Wi-Fi. Seems to be OK but not tested all functions. Good job devs.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Only glitch I have found is that Facetime camera is not working. The LED is not lit and the camera produces a ghostly gray image. However, installing and starting Camo Studio enables the internal camera for Camo but not Facetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: OKonnel

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I installed Sequoia yesterday, works like a charm, except for Bluetooth, had problems with it on Sonoma, crashes the system sometimes or makes the system sluggish, my new Magic trackpad does not work, worked on Sonoma but Bluetooth was and still is unstable.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Just picked up a 2015 MacBook. got it for $30.00 because the person reset it to sell it, and only had a phone type charge block with a usb a to usb c cable..... and battery got dead enough it wouldn't turn on. asked me if I wanted it, claimed it works, told him for $30.00 I'll take the gamble, since I cannot see it on. ended up getting it, let it charge for a bit with that charger and it actually works.

has Big Sur on it. thinking about doing Ventura, Sonoma or sequoia on it. could be a good coffee shop laptop..... if it gets stolen being in Chicago, only out $30.00

Oxygen-X1

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Just picked up a 2015 MacBook. got it for $30.00 because the person reset it to sell it, and only had a phone type charge block with a usb a to usb c cable..... and battery got dead enough it wouldn't turn on. asked me if I wanted it, claimed it works, told him for $30.00 I'll take the gamble, since I cannot see it on. ended up getting it, let it charge for a bit with that charger and it actually works.

has Big Sur on it. thinking about doing Ventura, Sonoma or sequoia on it. could be a good coffee shop laptop..... if it gets stolen being in Chicago, only out $30.00
Yes is a great Deal. my Congratulation

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I must give you a "thumbs down" for the good report---- because I made a promise to myself that I would stay on Sonoma on my aging 2015 MacBook pro as it's running close to perfect--- now you gave me an excuse to update to Sequoia---curse you.... 🤣🤣
The issues I seem to be running into more these days are:

Some of the older software I use, that is updated less frequently, don't play with anything past Ventura in a way I'm happy with when considering things stable. Since I don't want to do Ventura and always be notified of a newer version of macOS available, and risk being forced to upgrade to it. I have decided to stick with Monterey and Linux. I don't have any personal gripes with Sonoma other than this because I've tried it and overall like it, but the programs I've found to solve the issues as alternatives have macOS releases, but they are QT based and since I like KDE, it makes more sense to run them there. Plus since some of the games I have on Steam, and GOG are still 32-bit without updates to run in a 64-bit Only OS, Linux makes more sense for that as well as it's an up to date OS that supports 32-bit for the time being. Mojave would be OK for macOS, but things are just dropping more and more support.

So these particular issues would prevent me from buying a new supported mac. it's a lot of money to put into a computer I wouldn't have full control over.

Based on what I've read on this thread, it sounds like Sequoia may fix some of the shortcomings of Sonoma, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Plus no one here seems to do the specifics I do, or use the software I do, so it's an unreliable source for support.

EDIT: Here is some context as to why I ended my post with the comment about not being a reliable source for support in all cases for me.

Most People don't have to use the accessibility feature "Zoom" unless they have vision loss. So because I need it people wouldn't experience the same graphical experience . Second, the program that really shows issues with Zoom enabled is, Amadeus Pro. Under Sonoma, it's really jerky when the audio timeline scrolls, it's a Sonoma issue, not OCLP, as there have been reports of the issue on supported macs and I also had the issue in a Sonoma VM with the Apple GPU enabled under Monterey, so fully supported config. The alternatives I've found to this program, are:
Audacity
OcenAudio

Both are QT based, and cross platform. Amadeus has been a great program but doesn't get updates much anymore and, it does work under Sonoma, it's just graphically unstable. So, this is more of a macOS upgrade issue over OCLP at this point, but OCLP comes into play if I want to do it on this iMac late 2015, 17,1.

Last edited:

cab_007

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2020
I took the plunge after nightly OCLP 2.0 came out, first on an external SSD - to make sure the upgrade works. Discovered that there were things in Privacy & Security that I had to accept and reboot to allow things to work more flawlessly (???). Installed on my internal SSD (along with post patching) and after installing the Sentinel profile to allow disabling of GateKeeper (to install older, non-Apple certified apps), I had ran into issues with Xcode (15.4) which was no longer supported and after getting a "Window Server quite unexpectedly), I reinstalled the post patches, rebooted and things looked better. I discovered Apple released Xcode 16 RC which installed flawlessly I'm back to redoing/reinstalling my MacPorts filesets (things broke with port migrate as Xcode 15.4 wasn't compatible and the migrate was 1/2 way through).

If you use MacPorts, I recommend you take care of Xcode (16 RC) beforehand starting the migrate.

Other than the minor snags noted above and of course the disclaimer for those rMBP (10,1) wanting to take a similar plunge, be sure to take a backup before the plunge and Good Luck!!!

Reactions: rehkram

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
So the RC:s for Sequoia as well as iOS 18 is now in software update. On my rMBP 10,1 nothing happens when attempting to update OTA. Maybe busy servers. Maybe wait for the final download.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
using the oclp 1.50 version?
You really need to specify what exact model of Mac we're discussing because it could be one of a few models.

Assuming it's a retina MacBookPro10,1 to install Sequoia beta 8 at the moment you would need to use the OCLP 2.0.0 nightly. Or wait until the release of the public versions of macOS 15.0 and OCLP 2.0.0

Reactions: cab_007

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Just upgraded a headless (broken flex cable so removed display) 2016 MBP (13,3) used as desktop to Sequoia from 14.6.1 with no immediate problems using OCLP 2.0.0.0n. Wi-Fi and BT seem fine.

Reactions: hvds and rehkram
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.