Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Yikes. Let this be a lesson to everyone to slow their roll here a bit. It's highly unadvisable that anyone should be making ROMs or flashing them who doesn't explicitly know what they are doing. These are really early days in the life of this procedure and there are probably a lot of potential problems lurking.

Hope you get your system back erer. You might help your case by first explaining what exact system you have that's now bricked.

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
Yikes. Let this be a lesson to everyone to slow their roll here a bit. It's highly unadvisable that anyone should be making ROMs or flashing them who doesn't explicitly know what they are doing. These are really early days in the life of this procedure and there are probably a lot of potential problems lurking.

Hope you get your system back erer. You might help your case by first explaining what exact system you have that's now bricked.

Thank you.it was a good lesson for me. My mac pro is 5.1 2010 6 core cpu. has 4 2tb hdd and one pci wıth a NVME 960 on it. I was sick of hearing rattles from HDD than I was hoping to use NVME disk fast and quite.

I did not modify my rom here, someone made it for me. I made crsutil disable than back up orıgınal wıth romtool and flashmodıfed bootrom. restart

than nothıng ıs comıng pram reset ıs not workıng Command R ıs not workıng screen ıs commıng as whıte than turn dark..

I downloaded cd 1.9 wrıte a cd nothıng but the firmware of that is too old 07f 03b, ıf some one send me a newer fd fıle I would try wıth that

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Do you know what firmware you had prior to backing up your original? Was it MP51.0085.B00?

Edit: and I assume you meant you ran csrutil -disable (not crsutil -disable) and confirmed SIP was disabled.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I don't know anything about the firmware restore CDs so hopefully someone else can help you if indeed that could even help in this case.

But just in terms of general troubleshooting you should connect a USB keyboard (not bluetooth), remove all drives and cards (especially the NVMe) from the cMP, verify that the video card is seated properly and connected firmly to your monitor. Put in a MacOS 10.13 USB install stick if you have one or a known working SATA drive with MacOS already installed on it.

Reactions: crjackson2134

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
thıs was the file I flashed

Attachments

• mp51_with_NVMe.bin.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 252

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
after I made a recovery cd remove other hd from system and remove nvme system booted again

I have checked the rom it is still 85
[doublepost=1528041976][/doublepost]this is the dump I made now could you please check it
[doublepost=1528042032][/doublepost]there is NVME in it

Attachments

• Untitled.bin.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 200

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I don't have the know-how to check your ROM. Hopefully lightbulbfun or someone else super knowledgable can look at it for you.

Great that your system is booting again. Did you actually use the firmware recovery CD? Or you're just saying you burned it but didn't boot from it?

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Legally, you can not get previous releases since Mac App Store always offer you the most current version (but you can always risk downloading torrents/etc).

So, it's a good practice archive previous full installers. I have been doing this for some time.

HINT: Sign in as a Mac Developer to gain access to older releases of macOS. There is nothing illegal about downloading or installing old os versions.

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
I don't have the know-how to check your ROM. Hopefully lightbulbfun or someone else super knowledgable can look at it for you.

Great that your system is booting again. Did you actually use the firmware recovery CD? Or you're just saying you burned it but didn't boot from it?
No I don’t think it booted from cd it just boot to high sierra
[doublepost=1528042737][/doublepost]I think it is just not booting with pci ssd installed with it no go
Same as before
[doublepost=1528043072][/doublepost]Confirmed with pcie card in it does not boot

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Here something from the "Apple Technician Guide";

Mac Pro Firmware Updates

Firmware is software written into memory circuits, such as flash memory, that will hold the software code indefinitely, even when power is removed from the hardware. Firmware on Intel Mac computers is designed to be updated if necessary through a software update.

EFI firmware updates update the Boot ROM, and SMC updates update the System Management Controller firmware. The SMC manages fans and other environmental parameters that are independent of the Boot ROM.

Firmware symptoms can be easily mistaken for hardware issues (e.g., overheating issues, fan noise issues, etc.). Always check both EFI and SMC firmware versions and update if necessary before replacing any hardware components.

The following lists describe the type of symptoms that may be resolved by updating the EFI and SMC firmware.

Symptoms that may be resolved by updating EFI firmware:

• Cannot eject media (various conditions)

• No video on start up

• Blue system failure screens in Windows XP/Vista

• Not waking or sleeping when expected

• Bad media taking too long to eject (including holding mouse button down at startup taking minutes to eject)

Symptoms that may be resolved by updating SMC firmware:

• Fan related behavior (excessive speed or noise)

• Loud audible clicking from some fans

• Thermal shut down or warnings

• Diagnostics reporting failures

• Sleep/wake issues

• Intermittent shut down

• SMC causes bad/missing ambient sensor to cause the computer to go to sleep

• Hangs, black screen on restart from Windows

• Quick power cycle causes Memory Processor Board Diagnostic LEDs and CPU Overtemp LEDs to illuminate solidly

Important: Since the SMC firmware is stored on both the backplane board and processor board, it is important that the version of SMC firmware is the same on both boards.

And this is what Apple say (

Restoring firmware with a Firmware Restoration CD
To restore your computer's firmware, you must first create a CD using the disk image named "FirmwareRestorationCD.dmg" by following these steps:

1. Open Disk Utility (located at /Applications/Utilities).
  2. Click the Burn icon or select the "Burn…" menu item from the Images menu.
  3. Navigate to where FirmwareRestorationCD.dmg is located, and click the Burn button.
  4. Insert a blank recordable CD.
  5. Click the Burn button to create the Firmware Restoration CD. The files are burned to the disc.

Next, use the Firmware Restoration CD to restore your Firmware:
  6. Make sure that the computer you are trying to restore is plugged into an AC outlet.
  7. Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).

On Macs that don't have a sleep LED, tones are used instead. Hold down the power button until you hear 3 long tones, then 3 short tones, then 3 long tones.

On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.
  8. Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.

A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.
The computer will restart automatically after the firmware is updated.

Just what I found here and now.

/Per

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
OK great, so yes it seems that the NVMe driver injected to the firmware doesn't like your PCI card or NVMe. So the next step is what brand/model of PCIe adapter and NVMe drive do you have?

Edit: Also, what exact version(s) of MacOS are installed on your NVMe drive and your SATA hard drive?

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
OK great, so yes it seems that the NVMe driver injected to the firmware doesn't like your PCI card or NVMe. So the next step is what brand/model of PCIe adapter and NVMe drive do you have?
Lycom dt 120 and 960 evo
[doublepost=1528043929][/doublepost]I
Lycom dt 120 and 960 evo
i am now doing PRAM reset I will install pci after and try
[doublepost=1528044549][/doublepost]
Lycom dt 120 and 960 evo

after simple pram reset pcie is recognized now I will install High sierra to see it booting
[doublepost=1528046069][/doublepost]On
Lycom dt 120 and 960 evo

[doublepost=1528044549][/doublepost]

after simple pram reset pcie is recognized now I will install High sierra to see it booting
one thing though ssd is slower on x16

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Didn't you try a PRAM reset before and it didn't help? But it fixed it this time? That's weird. But if you were trying to do it with a Bluetooth keyboard before it's possible it didn't take. I've had much better success with PRAM resets with a wired USB keyboard.

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
Y
Didn't you try a PRAM reset before and it didn't help? But it fixed it this time? That's weird. But if you were trying to do it with a Bluetooth keyboard before it's possible it didn't take. I've had much better success with PRAM resets with a wired USB keyboard.

Yes prob I pressed wrong keys

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No

no go screen is turning black nothing happens
[doublepost=1528039093][/doublepost]What about a firmware recovery cd?
How should I make one?

I think you should go for the firmware restoration CD. Better not to touch the Mac until the CD is ready. You may have only one chance to do that.

Technically, you should able to use the firmware restoration whenever the firmware is corrupted. However, there was a report about a user shutdown the Mac during firmware upgrade. And on the next boot, he can get the super drive tray out, but since he has no idea that's for firmware restoration. He shutdown the Mac again. Since then, it seems the logicboard is really dead, and he can't even get into the firmware restoration mode anymore.

From memory, there is only very very few case on the next that really need to use that firmware restoration. Most likely because the firmware update system is very solid and there was no official firmware update for a long long time. So, only very few users have to apply that restoration.

We have no idea if that single case really kill the logic board during firmware upgrade / fail to apply firmware restoration. But you better not to touch the Mac until the CD is ready. Then hold the power button until the DVD tray is ejected. put the CD in, close the tray, then hope it work as expected.

I just perform a 5,1 hack about 10 days ago. The 4,1 go straight to 0084.B00 after firmware flash. So, I expect the firmware restoration CD will give you that (or even 0085.B00).

I won't say it's a good news to you, but at least your cMP still POST. Which means the firmware check is done, and the logic board should be functioning. In this case, the firmware itself should be good, but just wrong parameter / driver in there causing no boot (e.g. unable to locate the boot drive). So, you should able to apply the firmware restoration as per normal procedure. No need to go for the hardware chip flash route yet.

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
I think you should go for the firmware restoration CD. Better not to touch the Mac until the CD is ready. You may have only one chance to do that.

Technically, you should able to use the firmware restoration whenever the firmware is corrupted. However, there was a report about a user shutdown the Mac during firmware upgrade. And on the next boot, he can get the super drive tray out, but since he has no idea that's for firmware restoration. He shutdown the Mac again. Since then, it seems the logicboard is really dead, and he can't even get into the firmware restoration mode anymore.

From memory, there is only very very few case on the next that really need to use that firmware restoration. Most likely because the firmware update system is very solid and there was no official firmware update for a long long time. So, only very few users have to apply that restoration.

We have no idea if that single case really kill the logic board during firmware upgrade / fail to apply firmware restoration. But you better not to touch the Mac until the CD is ready. Then hold the power button until the DVD tray is ejected. put the CD in, close the tray, then hope it work as expected.

I just perform a 5,1 hack about 10 days ago. The 4,1 go straight to 0084.B00 after firmware flash. So, I expect the firmware restoration CD will give you that (or even 0085.B00).

I won't say it's a good news to you, but at least your cMP still POST. Which means the firmware check is done, and the logic board should be functioning. In this case, the firmware itself should be good, but just wrong parameter / driver in there causing no boot (e.g. unable to locate the boot drive). So, you should able to apply the firmware restoration as per normal procedure. No need to go for the hardware chip flash route yet.
Thanks for the feedback my Mac is good now seems I needed a PRAM reset after it was ok.
I could open cd tray by eject key on the kb but my modified rom was ok
[doublepost=1528072097][/doublepost]
Thanks for the feedback my Mac is good now seems I needed a PRAM reset after it was ok.
I could open cd tray by eject key on the kb but my modified rom was ok
My next upgrade is another nvme as data disk and extra 580 it will be a good machine as 2010 Mac Pro I love it

Reactions: h9826790
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.