Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gammarART

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018
Saarbrücken
Warning:
This is an alternative product, it is different with your original hard disk. In addition, please turn off the sleep function of the system after installing the operating system.

The sleep function doesn't work with the Sintech Adapter?

juan99999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2015
Read in the description from a eBay offer.

IMO that information is outdated. Especially all the stuff about windows.

Prior to purchasing I messaged them and they confirmed that it worked with the 970. Like I said, I've had zero issues. Your mileage may vary. Your risk is $18. If you have specific issues about the adapters, I'd suggest that you email them.

sdshannon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Oakland
IMO that information is outdated. Especially all the stuff about windows.

Prior to purchasing I messaged them and they confirmed that it worked with the 970. Like I said, I've had zero issues. Your mileage may vary. Your risk is $18. If you have specific issues about the adapters, I'd suggest that you email them.

Been tracking along, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger for my MacPro with a 1Tb 970 Evo. Amazon will have the adaptors in stock later this month too. My question to you is IF I were to use a heatsink which would you rec? appreciate it!

juan99999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2015
Been tracking along, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger for my MacPro with a 1Tb 970 Evo. Amazon will have the adaptors in stock later this month too. My question to you is IF I were to use a heatsink which would you rec? appreciate it!

Most people recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-M-2-...af16ebcc46356d436eefa9a53cacf2&language=en_US

I read earlier in the thread that for the 970 a heat sync wasn't required so I decided against it and have had the SDD running pretty hardcore (rebuilding previews in Lightroom for 150K images).

You can wait for Amazon but it seems that it's the manufacturer themselves selling it on eBay and shipping out of NJ. I wasn't patient enough to wait lol

Reactions: sdshannon

RxJemm

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
unfortunately, I used my stock MP 6,1 256GB ssd to create a wonderful Fusion Drive for the wife's iMac 17,1 imac. So this means I will not get the firmware bootloader updates? What happens if you install the OS on an USB external drive, will the firmware update take?

Thanks

cgscotto

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018
Athens, OH

https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-M-2-...af16ebcc46356d436eefa9a53cacf2&language=en_US

I read earlier in the thread that for the 970 a heat sync wasn't required so I decided against it and have had the SDD running pretty hardcore (rebuilding previews in Lightroom for 150K images).

You can wait for Amazon but it seems that it's the manufacturer themselves selling it on eBay and shipping out of NJ. I wasn't patient enough to wait lol

I ordered a second adapter (just to have a backup) from ebay and shipping from N.J. Received it very quickly, no waiting.

I ordered the heatsink quoted above, in black not nickel, from Amazon. I have two of them. The first one I ordered direct from the manufacturer's website, and had to pay an extra $16.00 to have it shipped from Slovakia.

It is very easy to install once you know the trick of getting the clips on, which is to install them over the indents (there is a video on Youtube).

Reactions: sdshannon

juan99999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2015
unfortunately, I used my stock MP 6,1 256GB ssd to create a wonderful Fusion Drive for the wife's iMac 17,1 imac. So this means I will not get the firmware bootloader updates? What happens if you install the OS on an USB external drive, will the firmware update take?

Thanks

My understanding is that you won't be able to upgrade the bootrom without doing the upgrade using the original drive... Buy her another adapter and a 256GB 970 which will be faster and currently run $87!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-250GB/s?k=Samsung+970+EVO+250GB

Last edited:

RxJemm

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
My understanding is that you won't be able to upgrade the bootrom without doing the upgrade using the original drive... Buy her another adapter and a 256GB 970 which will be faster and currently run $87!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-250GB/s?k=Samsung+970+EVO+250GB

Well the Mac Pro's SSD is now in her iMac, which I don't intend to go back into again! :eek:

- also I prefer to keep her iMac perfectly Apple-stock due to the headache in getting into that machine and then sealing it back up again. Let me see what happens when 10.14.1 comes out..

May have to get a cheap 128GB Apple ssd!

Last edited:

nglevin

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2018

Can confirm on my 6,1, the 970 Pro runs cool enough and the coating beneath label serves as a good enough heatsink that you won't have to worry about that.

It fits better in the machine than the 960 with a heatsink did. Worthwhile upgrade in my book.

iMactouch

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2017
Wunstorf, Germany
Reads are about the same, but writes are a bit better

Hmm, with my Apple SSD SM0512G (this is the 512GB SSUBX Apple SSD) I am getting:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-30 um 22.51.36.png

Write is faster, but read not.

sdshannon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Oakland

thanks so much! I went ahead and ordered it. I have one more question. I'm pretty know to the whole SSD blade style connectors. I was wondering if you could point me to an enclosure for the SSD I'm pulling from my mac pro. I can only find the OWC branded enclosures but they go for 90-100 bucks! im not sure what to look up for something a little more generic. thanks again!

juan99999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2015
thanks so much! I went ahead and ordered it. I have one more question. I'm pretty know to the whole SSD blade style connectors. I was wondering if you could point me to an enclosure for the SSD I'm pulling from my mac pro. I can only find the OWC branded enclosures but they go for 90-100 bucks! im not sure what to look up for something a little more generic. thanks again!

When I looked the OWC were the only ones I found. You probably don't want the original drive in an enclosure as you'll need it to update the bootrom for future OS's/ potential better compatibility.

If you need an external SSD I'd just buy one... or get one for the Samsung...

sdshannon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Oakland
When I looked the OWC were the only ones I found. You probably don't want the original drive in an enclosure as you'll need it to update the bootrom for future OS's/ potential better compatibility.

If you need an external SSD I'd just buy one... or get one for the Samsung...
I see, I was gonna throw it in an enclosure so I could use it as a bootable drive just in case I had issues down the road. Would the computer not update the bootrom from an external?

cgscotto

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018
Athens, OH
OS 14.1 was officially released today. I previously updated the firmware on my 6,1 to 127.0.0.0.0. and 14.1 beta using the original Apple SSD. Does anybody know if the official release keeps the firmware at 127.0.0.0.0 or does the update install new firmware? I am updating my 6,1 with the NVMe installed, so far it is installing without problems. I noticed that my MacbookPro, which had 14.0 installed did receive a firmware update when I installed 14.1. It did not have the beta version of 14.1 installed, so the firmware update may be the same one installed with the beta. The nMP just finished updating to 14.1, and the firmware is still 127.0.0.0.0.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
10.14.2DP1 has the same 127.0.0.0.0 BootROM for MP6,1:

Code:
$IBIOSI$ MP61.88Z.0125.B00.1809171517
Copyright (c) 2005-2018 Apple Inc.  All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP61
  EFI Version:  127.0.0.0.0
  Built by:     root@saumon
  Date:         Mon Sep 17 15:11:58 PDT 2018
  Revision:     127 (B&I)
  ROM Version:  F000_D00
  Build Type:   Official Build, Release
  Compiler:     Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)

Reactions: cgscotto

RxJemm

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
Of course with no Apple SSD on hand to update the boot rom, I am out of luck. Interestingly, the machine tried to flash the boot rom, and then kept rebooting itself. A hardware reset by holding down the power button stopped that loop.

I am going to try to remove the 960 Evo SSD and boot from a USB drive with 10.4 and see if the update will take..

FunnyGee

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Would the computer not update the bootrom from an external?
No, tried it today with an original Apple ssd in an external OWC-case. The update on the external drive left the bootrom untouched. A clean install left the bootrom untouched too.

Maybe it is possible to clone 10.4 to the internal drive without a new bootrom. 10.4 works ok form the external drive with the old rom.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm preparing to setup a 970 Pro SSD-blade in my system (using the Sintech adaptor). Question is what kind of SSD-cooler to get - Seeing as the machine warms up quite a bit I don't feel comfortable installing without a cooler.

Looking at the Raidsonic Icybox IB-M2HS-701 which I could get quickly from a local shop. Would a cooler with a length of 80mm and a height of 5mm fit into the machine?

sdshannon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Oakland
hey there, so I got the 970pro and the adapter, made the bootable drive and when I start up it won't mount, when I try to erase using AFPS, then try to start the instal it won't show up as an option. any ideas?

UPDATE:
I had the container selected not the physical drive

Attachments

• IMG_6864.JPG
    IMG_6864.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6862.JPG
    IMG_6862.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:

sdshannon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Oakland
got her up and running! I put that heat sync on it just for peace of mind. thanks so much for the input from everyone! it takes a village to keep a older Mac running her best!

Attachments

• IMG_6894.JPG
    IMG_6894.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 356
  • DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 364

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Is it just me or does the EBKW logo look like a sad face when installed upright? :)

What boot-rom version does your machine have installed?
Got all the bits here now too including this very heatsink, just need to find the time to mess with my system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.