Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Pretty cool... another P&S?
Thanks gkarris, the LX3 is kind of a P&S. It's a compact camera that does have pretty extensive manual features if you want to use them, including RAW ability. This shot was in program (auto) mode although I did knock the exposure down to not blow out the highlights in the clouds.

Anyway, they bring those sheep in to graze the grass on a hill behind where I work. There were some cool clouds that day so I stopped off to snap a few pics on my way home.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I don't always have time to sit around waiting for things to happen, but it generally pays dividends when I do. It's very rewarding to plan the shot in advance and watch it falling into place.

I was standing around, camera on tripod, in a small town.
Guy: "You look as if you're waiting for something to happen".
Me: "Yes".
Guy: "Well, what?"
Me: "I don't know... It hasn't happened yet".
Guy: "Ah, fair enough"... and wanders off... ;)

Nothing much happening at Gawthorpe Hall, either...

gawthorpehall.jpg

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
New Quarter, new classes. This one is from Lighting class. We had one hot light set up and were taking shots with a single light, then using the reflector to add light to the other side. This was the first one I took when I turned the camera on :p C&C always appreciated!

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Well, jmdfd415, there's not much else to say besides fantastic shot. ;)

Let the night life begin!

IMG37423_resized.png

Canon Rebel XT
ISO 400
f/5.6

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
*clickable* I posted this a couple weeks back in one of the photo contest on here but I like it so much I figured I would post it on here to get a little more feedback.

Camera: Nikon D80
Exposure: 1/3200 sec @f/2.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Promaster 17-50mm f2.8

I already shared my thoughts on this one in the contest thread. I think it's a terrific shot and gave my reasons there. All I could add would be the one thing you might consider to amplify its effect even more. If you cloned out the couple walking in the distance, it would ratchet up the tension another notch by further isolating the guy on the bench. Something to consider. :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Here's a picture I took in Lanzarote. I particularly like this shot because the baby bird in the background adds a lot of character - it looks as if it's about to step up for its lunch :D

Attachments

• P1000304.jpg
    P1000304.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 108

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I already shared my thoughts on this one in the contest thread. I think it's a terrific shot and gave my reasons there. All I could add would be the one thing you might consider to amplify its effect even more. If you cloned out the couple walking in the distance, it would ratchet up the tension another notch by further isolating the guy on the bench. Something to consider. :)

Hmmm didnt even think of that for some reason haha. I might give it a shot later and see what comes of it.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
I was standing around, camera on tripod, in a small town.
Guy: "You look as if you're waiting for something to happen".
Me: "Yes".
Guy: "Well, what?"
Me: "I don't know... It hasn't happened yet".
Guy: "Ah, fair enough"... and wanders off... ;)

Nothing much happening at Gawthorpe Hall, either...

gawthorpehall.jpg

Was this with a tilt shift lens?

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2009
Another from the other day. Went out today to try another spot I know about but it didn't pan out the way I wanted it to.

Lemme know what you think.
3425817534_daf72153cd_o.jpg

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Nice one. Is that LA?

Another look at a calla lily:

CallaLily2.jpg
Thanks! Yup, it's LA. All of these trips to Griffith Observatory have had a couple redeeming shots. :) Amazing detail on the pollen, by the way.

Atomicfission92, I like the general feel and composition, but the sky seems to drag any sort of possible mood down. Perhaps you could try it in better lighting?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Was this with a tilt shift lens?

No, just the kit 18-70 on a Nikon D200. I was shooting from an elevated garden, which put me at just the right height to keep the verticals straight(ish). And I finished the job (only a minor tweak) in Photoshop.

I posted this a couple weeks back in one of the photo contest on here but I like it so much I figured I would post it on here to get a little more feedback.

Erm, once you say you "like your picture so much", you've rather pre-empted any further comment. ;)

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Moon Rise

Went out to catch the moon rise tonight. All of a sudden it was there...

I started off shooting manual, at ISO 100 F8 1/40, but with the color of the moon, and the haze i guess there just was not quite enough light for that.

Anyway it was very red until it was well up in the sky.

Questions: When using a tripod should one use the lens VR or IS?
In low light situations when focusing manually, is here a trick to insure the focus?,

With my lens one focuses past infinity, which is not a good thing, especiall when added to my need for progressive eyeglasses,

F5/6 1/25 ISO 100 200 mm 4f-5.6f vr off, tripod

Click on the thumb to get a more accurate color rendtion, as the thumbnail is pretty dull.

Attachments

• 20090409_0104 moon.jpg
    20090409_0104 moon.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 118

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Phrasikleia, how did you get your shots that close? my 100 mm can never get that, it will reach its MFD :( , did you cropped it?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot...

Driftwood log, Taft, Oregon. Another from the little Lumix LZ8.

P1010835.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 5.2mm

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Not too sure if this will interest anyone, but I get a daily quote, via email, of the words of Jiddhu Krishnamurti. Todays offering, below, is a concise summation of how (maybe even why) I take photos. :)

I wonder if you have ever walked along a crowded street, or a lonely road, and just looked at things without thought? There is a state of observation without the interference of thought. Though you are aware of everything about you, and you recognize the person, the mountain, the tree, or the oncoming car, yet the mind is not functioning in the usual pattern of thought. I don't know if this has ever happened to you. Do try it sometime when you are driving or walking. Just look without thought; observe without the reaction which breeds thought. Though you recognize color and form, though you see the stream, the car, the goat, the bus, there is no reaction, but merely negative observation; and that very state of so-called negative observation is action. Such a mind can utilize knowledge in carrying out what it has to do, but it is free of thought in the sense that it is not functioning in terms of reaction. With such a mind - a mind that is attentive without reaction - you can go to the office, and all the rest of it.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
My dog, in one of her stranger moments...

melody02.jpg

She is quite old now, in rapidly declining health, and this is likely to be her last weekend with us :(
I just wanted to say, I feel for you. It's tough letting go of a faithful companion after a lot of years of tail-wagging and unconditional acceptance and love. I've been there. It's never easy, but the most loving gift you can give her is to let her go when it's time. She's done her job... and done it well. Now, it's your turn...
Peace be with you, cliff.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB

This is a shot I've been eying up every morning during my commute for about 2 months now. Every day I pass this point, look out the window and go "damn, that would make a great picture'

So this morning I grabbed my camera bag, got off my bus 2 stops earlier then ussual and finally grabbed it.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I just wanted to say, I feel for you. It's tough letting go of a faithful companion after a lot of years of tail-wagging and unconditional acceptance and love. I've been there. It's never easy, but the most loving gift you can give her is to let her go when it's time. She's done her job... and done it well. Now, it's your turn...
Peace be with you, cliff.

Thanks. We go to the vet for the last time tomorrow at 10:30. I've had this kid for nearly a third of my life, and there will be a dog-sized hole in it for a while.

On the positive side, I am looking forward to having floors that stay clean for more than 5 minutes or so for the first time in 16 years...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia, how did you get your shots that close? my 100 mm can never get that, it will reach its MFD :( , did you cropped it?

A calla lily is a very big flower. The bloom can reach about 15cm in length. My 60mm has a minimum focusing distance of 20cm. So I did crop, but only about 25 percent of the frame.

Another one from my marigolds set:

MarigoldsWithFence.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.