Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
_MG_3968-Pano-X3.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another one from Hawkstone park. Originally part of a slate and copper mine, the narrow passageways lent themselves to the walk that was created by the Hill family.
These steps appear to have a post hole which I assume kept a roof up at one time? Probably when it was still a mine.
Anyway I thought the B&W treatment suited this one, although I have a similar colour one tomorrow (where there was a bit more moss), so be sure to let me know which you prefer.

_DSC4190 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
East Coker is a village in Somerset, and also the title of one of T S Eliot’s Four Quartets. His family came from the village, and he was buried in the church.

Now the light falls
Across the open field, leaving the deep lane
Shuttered with branches, dark in the afternoon
Where you lean against a bank while a van passes,
And the deep lane insists on the direction
Into the village, in the electric heat
Hypnotised.

The lanes around the village really are ‘deep’ - steep-sided holloways - and ‘dark’ (shadowed on the sunniest of days). They ‘insist on the direction’ because once you start to walk to walk through one of these sunken lanes, you have to keep following it until you reach the village…

car_coker_hollow.jpg

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
East Coker is a village in Somerset, and also the title of one of T S Eliot’s Four Quartets. His family came from the village, and he was buried in the church.

Now the light falls
Across the open field, leaving the deep lane
Shuttered with branches, dark in the afternoon
Where you lean against a bank while a van passes,
And the deep lane insists on the direction
Into the village, in the electric heat
Hypnotised.

The lanes around the village really are ‘deep’ - steep-sided holloways - and ‘dark’ (shadowed on the sunniest of days). They ‘insist on the direction’ because once you start to walk to walk through one of these sunken lanes, you have to keep following it until you reach the village…

car_coker_hollow.jpg

I grew up just down the road in a small village called Thornford - off there this evening! Great shot :)

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
Another one from Hawkstone then. This one in colour.
Not sure which I prefer this or yesterday's B&W.

_DSC4185 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Both are nice but I like the view of the stairs in the B&W photo better but prefer the colour photo if that makes sense; I would think that colour on an overcast day would give it a more interesting feel and let the rich colours pop a little more.

My two cents.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.