Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
advertising crafts downtown St.johns nl.

It looked familiar. So I started digging in the rubbish in the closet. Found a postcard with almost the same image. The font of 'wild things' is different and the address ('124') is also on there. I remember it was a fun shop.
Thanks for poking in my memory.

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Outhouse

looks lonely

Attachments

• (439) July 29.JPG
    (439) July 29.JPG
    919 KB · Views: 87

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
It looked familiar. So I started digging in the rubbish in the closet. Found a postcard with almost the same image. The font of 'wild things' is different and the address ('124') is also on there. I remember it was a fun shop.
Thanks for poking in my memory.

your welcome,this format is great fun to look, admire and learn.

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
A self portrait

As taken with a 70mm on a gorilla pod(on the ground).
4000340279_a7e744d5a2_o.jpg

Yes that is my ugly mug after a week in the bush.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks for the suggestions of names for my new photo-workshop venture. 'Shepherding' is one I hadn't thought of; workshops could be 'sheep at half the price'. 'Beer', too, says a lot of good things (none of them, alas, about photography). Maybe I should just be brutally honest, and brand the sessions as 'Standing around doing nothing'... :p

And Kamerynn, you'd be very welcome; County Durham's not so far away...

boatripple.jpg

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

This is a rework of a popular photo of mine (according to Flickr stats).

The truth is, I never really liked it that much. I was going through a stage of experimenting with HDR and uploaded it one day and ultimately it received quite a bit of attention - picture of the day blogs, prints and it can be licensed through Getty.

So I decided to revisit the RAW file from that day and rework it. There was a ton of luck involved with this photo. Right place at the right time right? I just happened to be taking a photograph of the incoming storm (had yet to be a spike of lightning, just clouds lighting up) when as soon as I pressed my shutter I thought I noticed the sky light up. Of course with my mirror up on my camera I didn't see it in person. So I pressed review and there it was! I had never before photographed lightning before, so catching a spike by luck was, well, very lucky!

The RAW file was pretty dark (because of the dark storm) so I added some exposure - but that's about it...

View it large for a better view

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008

Pizza from Cheeseboard in Berkeley, California

Fresh corn, chile passilla, onions, feta and mozzarella cheese, garlic olive oil, key limes, cilantro.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Steam-Powered Logging Machine. Heritage Park, Buckley, Washington.

This machine was used to move logs in the Mt. Rainier foothills in the early 1900s. It was called a "Steam Donkey".

steamwench.jpg

From History of Northwest Logging

Steam was first introduced to the logging operation in the form of a small steam donkey. The donkey would consist of a steam boiler and steam engine connected to a winch all mounted on a 'sled' called a 'donkey sled'. The donkeys were moved by simply 'dragging themselves' with the winch line. The process evolved rapidly, but donkeys were used for both yarding ( moving the logs from when the tree was cut to an assembly point) and also 'skidding' (dragging the log down the skid trail to the river.). Thus the loggers soon had 'yarders' and 'road donkeys', the latter being the name applied to donkeys strategically located along the skid road to drag the logs from point to point toward the river.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

Pizza from Cheeseboard in Berkeley, California

Fresh corn, chile passilla, onions, feta and mozzarella cheese, garlic olive oil, key limes, cilantro.

When I'm in Berkeley, I live about two blocks from that place. One of only a couple of decent pizza joints in the Bay Area, in my view.

Here's one from me after a long dry spell (taken a little over an hour ago):

BlueMorningMountains.jpg

Oh, and Doylem, regarding the classes: what took you so long?! You'll make a great teacher.

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Jiggs Dinner

includes peas pudding, potato,cabbage,carrot,turnip and salt meat usually served on sunday noon.

Attachments

• (287) July 25.JPG
    (287) July 25.JPG
    863.6 KB · Views: 92

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
4099735760_fab916eaec_b.jpg

f6.7 iso 100 f/l 29mm Nikon D-80
Manitoulin is a beautiful place. I have grandmothers in Sudbury and Sualt Ste. Marie, and I went to University in the Sault. So I know the area well and enjoy seeing your shots from up there (though they make me wish I could live there again).

I really love this one Phrasikleia:
BlueMorningMountains.jpg
Really stunning!!

Here is my own mountain shot(though not as impresive):
3989018468_83489f6772_o.jpg

I don't think I've posted this one before(I hope). I need to get to editing more of my pics from last weekend as I'm running out of half decent material! I guess this thread is doing what it is supposed to as it's keeping me shooting and processing :)

TBKConsulting

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
From awhile back ...

Some pics from Vacation at both Costa Rica and St. Johns ... the 1st 2 from Costa Rica while on a sunset cruise, the last one of Red Cloud docks on St. Thomas as we motored off to St. Johns ...

Attachments

• 020-SV400081.jpg
    020-SV400081.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 520-SV400069.jpg
    520-SV400069.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 570-St.jpg
    570-St.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 98

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
When I'm in Berkeley, I live about two blocks from that place. One of only a couple of decent pizza joints in the Bay Area, in my view.

BlueMorningMountains.jpg

I love this shot. Makes me think I'll never ever climb mountains, but they sure are pretty! Wow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.