Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
love is in the air

loveairrum.jpg

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
St.john's newfoundland Canada

Fun street called "George Street"

Attachments

• (605) July 31.JPG
    (605) July 31.JPG
    896.9 KB · Views: 132

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
The weather cooperated for the first time in years.

Cincinnati, OH - 11/21
DSC_0127.JPG

Nikon D50/18-200 VR
22mm
1/10 sec/f3.8 (handheld)
iso 200

Ballonarama! I had planned on going this year, and showed up at 6:30. I guess it's only 4-6, so I missed it this year:( You'd think they would let it go on later into the night.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
First day out with my first DSLR. Unfortunately it was a very cloudy day so I just did some white balance touch up in LR to compensate.

4126270097_e6feb6dd87_b.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Lovely light and great sky.

Welcome to the land of visual sacrifice. You brought the primary horizontals parallel to the frame, but the vertical lines of the museum, of which there are many, make it a bit slanted.

Dale

Thanks, Dale. You may be right, but, perhaps because I've been looking at photos too much today, I'm not seeing the troublesome verticals on this one. Which ones spoil it for you? I'll try to fix it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks, Dale. You may be right, but, perhaps because I've been looking at photos too much today, I'm not seeing the troublesome verticals on this one. Which ones spoil it for you? I'll try to fix it.

Too many pictures? Never!

You don't need to redo this at all. I was just pointing out that photos are seldom perfect. People see different things in the same image. I had training in drafting in High school and that has made sensitive to vertical alignment in photography. Your photo is, as I said, very nice. I really do envy the understanding and control that you and John have over exposure.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Too many pictures? Never!

You don't need to redo this at all. I was just pointing out that photos are seldom perfect. People see different things in the same image. I had training in drafting in High school and that has made sensitive to vertical alignment in photography. Your photo is, as I said, very nice. I really do envy the understanding and control that you and John have over exposure.

Dale

Well, thanks, but I think exposure is really a small part of the equation. I try to "expose to the right," and I choose my apertures very carefully, but the real trick is finding (or planning for) the right light. Good post-processing can do a lot to fix a poor exposure, but no amount of it can fix poor lighting. I think what makes Doylem's pictures so special is his ability to capture light that is particularly revealing for a given composition. I'm not denying the importance of a good exposure, but I think it follows several more important considerations.

And you're right: there's no such thing as too many (good) pictures. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I very much hope that you and those close to you are safe in the face of this adversity.

Thanks. I'm fine... though when there's this much rain you soon find out where the roof leaks...

Just sorted out a name for my new business doing landscape photography workshops. Drumroll... Magnetic North Photography...

We've got the domain names sorted out, a website to build, venues checked out, a schedule ongoing. Could be fun... :)

A shot of Cockermouth before the floods hit (more rain expected tonight: cold comfort to all the people who won't be going back to their homes any time soon)... :(

cockermouthabstract.jpg

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks. I'm fine... though when there's this much rain you soon find out where the roof leaks...

Very glad to hear it.

Has Wordsworth's house survived intact? I've not seen any mention on the TV reports.

CanadIan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Very nice colors!! Your white balance is a little blue, but very nice

Thanks for the nice comment. Darned white balance, guess I got lazy.

It is a real shame to see such a historic location ravaged by flooding. It is obviously a remarkable meteorological event if it is doing damage to places that have stood unmolested for so long.

Have you gone out to try to capture the results of the flooding. It would be interesting to see before>during>after shots. This is a chance to hone your disaster photography skills, though no one would ever ask for such a thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.