Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Lensbaby

Yesterday, Pictureline in Salt Lake hosted a Lensbaby Photowalk. They spoke to the company and managed to get about 50 Lensbabies to use and try out so I opted to go up. It was an interesting piece of equipment to say the least. Having used a Tilt Shift a few times, I liked how it gives a similar effect to the shift; but it's a little trickier to dial in where the focal point gets to be.

img_9784.jpg

5DII, Lensbaby Composer @ F4, 1/1000 ISO 100.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I'm loving the low-light ability of the 5DII, yes this is small but the amount of noise the full res doesn't have at ISO 2500 is still remarkable.

tati-1.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 135 mm :: f 2 :: 1/160 sec :: iso 2500 :: No external lighting, no sun for that matter. Pulled up the Color Temp in Aperture and added vignette.

wow, very nice shot, made me stop and look at it a while

4067819781_d6face18fe_o.jpg

Sony DSC f717 aka the beer can camera. 1/500 f4.5 f/l 31mm

great catch

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
The composition on dog/dog is fine, but wood/dog suffers from Thing Out of Head Syndrome. The data on the photo interests me. Did you really need ISO 800 to shoot this 1/400@f5.6? It is too well lit for that. The sun seems high judging from the shadows under the eves. Mid-day light tends to be harsh and this may look warmer shot later in the afternoon. The textures in the fur are intriguing and the eyes are expressive. The backdrop is a bit too in-focus for me. something like an f stop of 4.5 may have blurred the posts more. I was never able to do anything like this with my last dog.

Dale

Thx Dale, I do appreciate C&C. Seeing others shots and reading various C&C I learn.
Not excuse, but Saturday my wife was gone all day at training session for her job, I was on 3 kid duty. Had 25-30 minutes for these around 10am. So I took "jedi", dog/dog, outside for shots.
Then I lugged the wood/bear off the porch (after taking shots there, too much clutter), took shots on brick walkway, did not work, then lugged him into our wildflower field.
In all the craziness I forgot to check ISO!!
Lesson learned: check camera set-up prior to the madness.
I might have a wood/bear with more neck. Most of Jedi his ear was cropped while shooting, after review I noticed that so took a few more....

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Woke up to this misty/fog in my front yard this morning 7am-ish, wandering thru the dead wildflowers:
_MG_1126.jpg

In past I've seen awesome spider webs, but too late in season.

I was hoping the fog would tightly stratify into thin layers, sometimes happens. Not this morning.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thx Dale, I do appreciate C&C. Seeing others shots and reading various C&C I learn.
Not excuse, but Saturday my wife was gone all day at training session for her job, I was on 3 kid duty. Had 25-30 minutes for these around 10am. So I took "jedi", dog/dog, outside for shots.
Then I lugged the wood/bear off the porch (after taking shots there, too much clutter), took shots on brick walkway, did not work, then lugged him into our wildflower field.
In all the craziness I forgot to check ISO!!
Lesson learned: check camera set-up prior to the madness.
I might have a wood/bear with more neck. Most of Jedi his ear was cropped while shooting, after review I noticed that so took a few more....

You did well considering all you were managing at the time. 3 kids, 1 dog and 1 bear. I'm new to digital photography, and have trashed plenty of photos by not resetting my camera. I look at all the settings on my XSi before I do anything else.

Keep it up.

Dale

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Dragon guarding the Botanical Gardens - Albuquerque NM (clickable)

Attachments

• _7002328.jpg
    _7002328.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 87

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Took a bad step trying to take a picture of a passing bus today, however the photo still turned out pretty nicely.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Barely taken a pic in the last three weeks: too busy, bad weather, etc. Here's a shot from yesterday: a little, local stone circle. Not exactly Stonehenge... but a nice place for an afternoon stroll...

circlewide.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Barely taken a pic in the last three weeks: too busy, bad weather, etc. Here's a shot from yesterday: a little, local stone circle. Not exactly Stonehenge... but a nice place for an afternoon stroll...

circlewide.jpg

Lovely colors. Glad you finally got a chance to get out with the camera. Now if only I could do the same. The last few weeks have been the same for me. :(

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Very nice. Are these "not as famous as Stonehenge " stone circles protected by laws to keep people from moving them? Or just respect of history keeps them intact?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Very nice. Are these "not as famous as Stonehenge " stone circles protected by laws to keep people from moving them? Or just respect of history keeps them intact?

The ancient sites of Britain tend to be what's been left after centuries of vandalism. Hadrian's Wall, for example, has been plundered for 'dressed' building stone ever since the Romans left. But, hey, if you had to choose between building materials that you could just pick up for free, or building materials that had to be quarried with great effort... what would you do? ;)

Some of the circles and standing stones have been protected; some have been destroyed. What remains are now subject to preservation orders, thankfully...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.