Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
2831368053_e919181d04.jpg

Let's go surfin' now, everybody's learnin' how...

Nikon D40x
1/800
200mm
f 4

coolchris540

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
Abstract Flower

Nikon D80, picture taken of flower in my backyard in Omaha, NE.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I know this has been done 100 times but this was my first. Did a little editing to the colors to give it more umph even though it looks more unrealistic. Im pretty happy since it was a trial and error with it being my first time out with a tripod. Let me know what you think :)

2835966636_e143757110_b.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Fantastic shot Mr Doylem, once again you have timed your shot to perfection for the light.
(I was very impressed with your site) :D

Here's one of Arran that I took from the Irvine shore yesterday evening.

Thanks, Steamie. Do you get across to Arran much? It was such a fun trip, a couple of weeks ago, and very relaxing.

Wild Boar Fell...

boarfn3.jpg

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
All the great landscapes in this thread got me thinking about what makes someone like a photo. There's the technical stuff making sure it's exposed and lit propery, and of course framing, but with landscapes I started to wonder if it's just a matter of the level of "strangeness" to a particular viewer. For example, I live in Michigan. We have lots of pretty woods and trees and streams and whatnot, but looking at shots of that sort of environment sort of bores me, even if it's a great picture, because I see that everyday. It's mundane to me.

But even a mediocre shot of a desertscape, or some mountains, or the ocean are all wonderous and beautiful, which I think is because I don't see them all the time. It takes me away to a different place. Maybe someone who lives in Arizona is transported away to the woods of Michigan with a photograph and that's enjoyable for them.

Dunno, just idle thoughts. Maybe the key to being a successful photographer is to get shown in galleries in far off places - bring your home to them, don't travel around bringing strange places back home with you. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
All the great landscapes in this thread got me thinking about what makes someone like a photo. There's the technical stuff making sure it's exposed and lit propery, and of course framing, but with landscapes I started to wonder if it's just a matter of the level of "strangeness" to a particular viewer. For example, I live in Michigan. We have lots of pretty woods and trees and streams and whatnot, but looking at shots of that sort of environment sort of bores me, even if it's a great picture, because I see that everyday. It's mundane to me.

But even a mediocre shot of a desertscape, or some mountains, or the ocean are all wonderous and beautiful, which I think is because I don't see them all the time. It takes me away to a different place. Maybe someone who lives in Arizona is transported away to the woods of Michigan with a photograph and that's enjoyable for them.

Dunno, just idle thoughts. Maybe the key to being a successful photographer is to get shown in galleries in far off places - bring your home to them, don't travel around bringing strange places back home with you. :)

A big part of landscape photography, for me, is finding inspiration wherever I happen to live... rather than envying people who live in places that seem more photogenic (I haven't always lived in 'beautiful' places).

Looking at familiar places with 'fresh' eyes is both a challenge and a pleasure. It's good to keep going back to these familiar places, learning a little more each time. It's a good way to hone your craft and develop your own visual language... :)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
We have lots of pretty woods and trees and streams and whatnot, but looking at shots of that sort of environment sort of bores me, even if it's a great picture, because I see that everyday. It's mundane to me.

Couldn't agree more. I find it very difficult to take pictures of my home city (Toronto), because it is all so familiar to me; I have trouble seeing the uniqueness of my city, whereas I can take pictures in other cities all day long and never tire of it.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Couldn't agree more. I find it very difficult to take pictures of my home city (Toronto), because it is all so familiar to me; I have trouble seeing the uniqueness of my city, whereas I can take pictures in other cities all day long and never tire of it.

OK, try this... Take a bus into town, and 'pretend' you're on holiday. It's the first time you've seen Toronto... the first time you've really looked hard at your surroundings.

Go beyond your familiarity, and 'forget' you're on well-trodden territory. You may be amazed at what you see... :)

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Kevin, i just had to stop and say that you have refined your skill as a photographer so much that you could do this for a living. I went through your ENTIRE flickr portfolio and saw how your skill evolved, beginning with a rebel xti and some pringle cans. You are a true inspiration to me.

Fett
I agree 100% with Carlos, you should be doing this full time, your photostream just gets better and better all the time :D

Don't know how I missed these but thanks guys. Funny this forum was one of the first ones that I found when looking for resources to learn about photography and it's still the first one I check everyday. There is so many great photographers and lots of great information here.

Ok I'm off to write my resignation letter.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland

Taken yesterday evening Troon, Scotland.

Doylem Unfortunately I don't get over to Arran as much as I would like. My Great Uncle stayed in Lamlash until he passed away a couple of years ago and I loved going to visit. I do plan on going back over to the island before Winter sets in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.