Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Was walking through the beautiful city of Bratislava and when I saw the colorful reflections, I couldn't resist taking out my camera.
3957011108_fcaa0c4814_b.jpg

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
I have been experimenting with 'ghetto' lighting recently. This is a long exposure shot of a 1:18 scale die cast model McLaren MP4-22. The model was set on a book on the floor of my living room and I hung one of my girlfriend's LBDs on a chair behind it for the black background.

Only light that I used was one of those little LED torches which gives off a nice white light. Played that around the model while camera was on bulb mode for about 2 minutes. Cropped and adjusted exposure slightly in Photoshop.

Pretty cool considering how it was lit. I'd like to see a little more light in the area above the Johnnie Walker logo (I can't make out what the logo is), but otherwise well done. I think you did it the hard way, though ;)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006

Supper is served...

It was getting late in the day, and I was running out of light, but I snapped it anyway. Had to go a little high on the ISO, but I still think it's neat.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Morning crab fishing, Siletz Bay, Oregon

Around 9am this morning, and the tide had begun to come in. Folks bring their crab rings and crab traps they cast into the bay for Dungeness crab. The waters are very calm in contrast to the breakers in the distance beyond the bay entrance, which is also the mouth of the Siletz River.

DSC_8984.NEF.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/800 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Focal Length: 12mm

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have been experimenting with 'ghetto' lighting recently. This is a long exposure shot of a 1:18 scale die cast model McLaren MP4-22. The model was set on a book on the floor of my living room and I hung one of my girlfriend's LBDs on a chair behind it for the black background.

Only light that I used was one of those little LED torches which gives off a nice white light. Played that around the model while camera was on bulb mode for about 2 minutes. Cropped and adjusted exposure slightly in Photoshop.

Truly amazing photo. Great sharpness and lighting.

If the backdrop is your gfs Little Black Dress, what is she...well... Post a pic or it ain't so.:eek:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Supper is served...

It was getting late in the day, and I was running out of light, but I snapped it anyway. Had to go a little high on the ISO, but I still think it's neat.

Excellent colors. I think thats an assassin bug. I'm too lazy to get out my Peterson Guides.

Dale

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Excellent colors. I think thats an assassin bug. I'm too lazy to get out my Peterson Guides.

Dale
Thanks for the info Dale. I initially thought it was a mantis, but after looking it up on Google, it was similar, but definitely not a mantis. I'm 99% sure it is an assassin bug.

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
Pretty cool considering how it was lit. I'd like to see a little more light in the area above the Johnnie Walker logo (I can't make out what the logo is), but otherwise well done. I think you did it the hard way, though ;)

Thank you :)

Agreed that the area just behind the barge board is underlit. It was a bit tricky getting light into that area without getting in front of the camera or blowing out the bargeboard (guess I could have covered it with my hand for a bit though).

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
Truly amazing photo. Great sharpness and lighting.

If the backdrop is your gfs Little Black Dress, what is she...well... Post a pic or it ain't so.:eek:

Thanks, that's very kind of you :) Sharpness was down to the lens EF 70-200 f/4L.

Not sure what you mean by what my girlfriend is :confused: She is just a regular girl who has a few little black dresses like just about every other girl I know. She did get a bit worried when I asked her if I could borrow one of her little black dresses :eek:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Spruce St. Paterson . Looking at the original after doing some PP , it occurred to me that , save for some security cameras on the Silk MachineryExchange building , which look like lights anyway , everything in the shot looks pretty much like it did 100 years ago , so I decided to sepia tint it to make it look old.
IMG_0024_1_1319sepia.jpg

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
Spruce St. Paterson . Looking at the original after doing some PP , it occurred to me that , save for some security cameras on the Silk MachineryExchange building , which look like lights anyway , everything in the shot looks pretty much like it did 100 years ago , so I decided to sepia tint it to make it look old.

Nice use of sepia tint, gives good atmosphere to the picture. I agree that the lack of anything ostensibly modern makes this picture work as a sepia.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Was walking through the beautiful city of Bratislava and when I saw the colorful reflections, I couldn't resist taking out my camera.

Love it, but the building in the top left looks too bright.

Here's a bee on the bleeding hearts by my garage. Took it a month or two ago. The others are from a trip to Myrtle Beach last year.

Attachments

• IMG_6365.JPG
    IMG_6365.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.