Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Unwinding After Work

Gamblers.jpg

Garment District
Seoul, South Korea
October 21, 2006
Sony DSC R1
1/2s@f/4 (hand-held)
iso 800
30.2mm (cropped about 1/2 of picture)
-0.3 e.v. Aperture Priority

While wandering around the Dongdaemun market area I spotted some men huddled over a game of chance in the back of a delivery truck. As I tripped the shutter, one man turned around, amused.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I lived on the coast for several years in the late 90s. Never saw more than a skiff of the frosty-white. Looks sweet. The ski hills must be diggin' it. (literally and figuratively). I hope my part of South Korea sees an unusual dump or two.

Dogger

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
Vancouver BC
This is pretty unusual for us in November, a foot of snow and temps hitting -10c -20c wind chill. I will try and get a snap of the mountains for you on my way to work in the morning.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
This is pretty unusual for us in November, a foot of snow and temps hitting -10c -20c wind chill. I will try and get a snap of the mountains for you on my way to work in the morning.
Where are you? Abbotsford, Delta? Or somewhere in between? (I miss BC right now...)

In honor of my new avatar (just broke the 500-post mark)

Beggar Lady Made Me Laugh
SourBeggar.jpg

Daegu (downtown), South Korea
Fuji F30
1/240@f/8
iso 100
October 4th, 2006

I was on my way to look at/buy my current favorite compact (Canon A640), riding my bike. Luckily I had my Fuji out when this non-destitute beggar woman (whom I had met before) approached. I gave her a bit of change and her expression at my donation made me burst out in a hearty laugh, despite myself. I clicked from handle bar level at the precise moment. God bless you beggar woman!

VictorM: Does this look familiar? :)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Where are you? Abbotsford, Delta? Or somewhere in between? (I miss BC right now...)

In honor of my new avatar (just broke the 500-post mark)

Beggar Lady Made Me Laugh

Freebooter, congratulations on your 500 th. That means hundreds of photo's. I visit the Picture of the Day thread at least once a day. And your pictures continue to amaze and surprise me. Keep on posting.

Marc

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Spice market in Istanbul

A snapshot from the colourful spice market in Istanbul. Lovely colours and
smells. Annoying salesmen...
IMG_1628s.jpg

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
"Waiting for the Bus"
Union Station, Chicago
26 November 2006
Fujifilm S6000fd, f/8, 1/200s, ISO800
WaitingForBus.jpg

The infamous megabus.com ... cheap rates (I travelled home from Toledo, Ohio to Minneapolis, MN for a mere $16!), but no indoor location to wait for the bus. Helps keep cost down! (Also, if you don't mind being at your destination in a timely manner, I do not recommend this bus as I was on it four times over Thanksgiving, and I was 15-75 minutes late each time!)

sohosid

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
Easily the coolest pic I've ever seen. How did you do it?

Kevin

Thanks!

How did I do it?

Quick answer..... 15 years of photography experience...18 years of professional retouching experience!

Slightly longer answer....

1• Good exposure.
2• Lot's of curves layers, masked where needed to enhance detail.
3• Toned to warm.
4• Split tone effect (own personal action)
5• edge vignette and sl blur.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
here's a particular favourite from my most recent trip:

D_AGEU_MAN.jpg

full details can be found by following the jetphotos link in my sig:D

S

Love airport pics!

Maybe I missed the exposure details, but these would be nice to know.

Looked at your link, and it was inspiring for a wanna be "plane spotter". Though here in the US it can be a bit tougher.

OT perhaps, but the level of security here in the US can be scary at times compared to other areas of the world.

Case in point (based on limited info and correctness of that info-which at on side I find hard to believe. On the other one never truly knows);but a friend stated he was on a DC Metro Bus that was passing near the White House. It was stopped by some sort of police (not sure if it was DC or perhaps uniformed Secret Service). My friend said that the passengers were "wanded" somehow.

A woman was asked to accompany the "officers", she asked why - she was told simply "there were health risks". She cried out that she had been under radiation treatment for cancer!

Given the news of that former FSB spy that died of radiation poisoning, I could only wonder of the validity of my friends story and the sophistication of detection methods.

As an aside to differences between the US and the UK back in February. Well after the "shoe bomber" incident. I was forced to take my shoes off at BWI; but was "joked" at when I took my shoes off before my flight back to the US from LHR for the security check. WTF (sorry, I use that phrase seldom here). That bomber was on a flight from the UK to the US! Not the other way around.

Sorry for the rant.

Hope that the mods will just edit out what they seem will offend.

I just use to, in my youth, loved taking pictures of aircraft. never got into the "spotting" side.

Some of the photos you posted on the other site caught my attention as well done:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5863028

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5863027

The winner for me is this one:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5836036

Gave me memories of living in Arlington, TX back in the 80's - seeing flights backed up for as far as the eye could in to DFW.

Given your eye, I would love to see some "spotting" from you on the BAe-146. Something about the economics of a 4 engine RJ (that had an over the fuselage wing design) that has always has attracted me.

Keep inspiring us aircraft lovers!

Chip

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Taken from my back yard this morning.

farm.jpg

A great winter scene.

Hope that we get some decent snow this winter in my area!

Hi all,

First post here....not first photo taken though...!

Mike.

112406_41.jpg

Love the different processing look to this one.

309792304_9961cfc0a6_b.jpg

Found this jumble of razor wire, fishing line, wrought iron and vines at a little pocket park along the St. Johns River while out for a lunch time walk today.

Some may love this one, others may wonder why. I personally like like as is, though some work in PS with selective dodging and burning might make it even stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.