Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Thanks,

Somebody else told me about the one post per day (in a less friendly way) but their post and my slightly sarcastic reply seem to have vanished.

That might have been me, since my comment related to it has vanished. Although it was not my intention to sound unfriendly (and I don't think that I did), I would like to apologize in case I hurt your feelings.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Another from the Villanova game. This is our quarterback Antwon Young. This is almost directly from camera. I shot in RAW, which is different for me during sports, but I did because of the lighting and I was afraid the color temperature was shifting. From looking at the RAWs, it stayed fairly constant as I used Auto White Balance and I didn't have to change any of them.

young2.jpg

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Cliche
Camera: Pentax K10D
Exposure: 8 sec (8)
Aperture: f/22
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 100

1435153914_488cd50c4c_b.jpg

Obligatory shot of the Sea with a slow shutter speed to give the dreamy look :rolleyes:

Epicwelshman
I really like your shots and I love the colour of the sky in them. I can only really get skies that good using a polarizer. (welcome back to the Uk)

your shots of Greece have been awesome they could be used as a promo by the Greek tourist board.

awesome again, real character to your b&w shots, do your subjects ever complain at you taking pictures of them?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Great job.
:eek:thanks, I must admit it was a total accident. After raw development and crop it did turn out better than the spider macro i was attempting...:)

I'm curious as to how much PP you guys do.
I always develop the raw image, which allows far greater parameters forgiving beginner error. I do have to work a bit to get many of my final images presentable from the original capture. Then sometimes, I get one spot on and I know not to twiddle with it.;)

Things don't always go as planned.

P1000180.jpg

L1 + 14-50mm kit lens

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
@Epicwelshman - Thanks a lot. =D I think I've found my...er..niche?

@Steamie - Great landscape! :D I haven't had people complain...yet. One of my friend who was with me when I took a few of my pictures just said some people look at me funny. That's about it. :rolleyes:

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
gear up...

Along the waterfront in Newport, OR.

DSC_5485.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 18mm - 18-55 kit lens

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
1409044479_180e2b1b75_o.jpg

Cardiff City Hall.

I wish I had the Sigma 10-20mm wide angle, then maybe I'd have been able to get the entire height of the building in one shot. I suppose I could have also stitched a few shots together, but I didn't actually think of that until right now.

Steamie, to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how I get the blue skies. It's more than a saturation increase. I've never used a polarizer (as much as I'd like to), but I've had good luck with bright blue skies. Thanks for the warm welcome!

pdxflint, wonderful capture!

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
camera: yashica-12
lens: 80mm yashinon 1:3.5
focal length: 80mm
aperture: f/3.5
shutter: 1/2 sec
film: ilford fp4+
iso: 125
filter: none

development:
d76 1:1 @ 10 min with agitation every 1 minute
kodak stop @ 30 sec
kodak fixer @ 10 min
water rinse
hypo wash @ 3 min
water rinse
photo flo @ 1 min

scanned with an epson 4490 at 1200 for posting to the web

photoshop:
brought the white/black sliders in to set the white/black points on the histogram
bumped up contrast

i need to go back and clean the negative and scanner and scan at full res for archival purposes.

it's a dog's life, i wanna lead a dog's life

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Cliche
1435153914_488cd50c4c_b.jpg
[/CENTER]

Obligatory shot of the Sea with a slow shutter speed to give the dreamy look :rolleyes:

I always like shots like these, and you did this one beautifully. Maybe a little horizon leveling and crop some excess sky to raise the horizon past center would be all to make it perfect... ;)

pdxflint, wonderful capture!

Thanks mate! I always enjoy your shots, great color and composition. I'll second you on the wide angle lens. I have a few cathedral shots from Hermosillo, Mexico that just don't quite make it due to lack of enough wide-angle perspective.

PS: My best friend is a Welshman.

camera: yashica-12
lens: 80mm yashinon 1:3.5
focal length: 80mm
aperture: f/3.5
shutter: 1/2 sec
film: ilford fp4+
iso: 125
filter: none

development:
d76 1:1 @ 10 min with agitation every 1 minute
kodak stop @ 30 sec
kodak fixer @ 10 min
water rinse
hypo wash @ 3 min
water rinse
photo flo @ 1 min

scanned with an epson 4490 at 1200 for posting to the web

photoshop:
brought the white/black sliders in to set the white/black points on the histogram
bumped up contrast

i need to go back and clean the negative and scanner and scan at full res for archival purposes.

it's a dog's life, i wanna lead a dog's life

It really reminds me longingly of my darkroom days... I usually washed my film for as long as I could..., then "photoflowed" it and dryed in a film dryer - usually took less than 4 minutes to dry, reducing dust chances to stick to the emulsion side. Of course, it was a 35mm film dryer, so it wouldn't work with medium format. Too bad most film scanners ICE anti-dust algorithms don't work with b/w emulsions, (or Kodachrome.)

Thanks for sharing your image and your methods. :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
DSC_0154.jpg

Leaves after a rain storm at night.

Camera: Nikon D40
Shutter: 1/50
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 48mm
Lens: 18-55mm kit
Flash fired

You're getting better, taking after freebooter... Nice dark background and use of flash to make this work. Really great image from the kit lens. When you get your macro lens you'll be there. Keep it up!!

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
You're getting better, taking after freebooter... Nice dark background and use of flash to make this work. Really great image from the kit lens. When you get your macro lens you'll be there. Keep it up!!

Thank you very much! Everyone here is a big inspiration to me! I love macro and my goal is to get pictures like Freebooter. My next lens purchase is going to be the 55-200mm VR, then I will get the 105mm macro soon after. I'm debating between the Sigma 105mm or the Nikon 105mm, the Nikon is twice as much as the sigma though!

Along the waterfront in Newport, OR.

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 18mm - 18-55 kit lens

That's awesome how you got him right in the middle of flight! I looks like he is getting ready to dive bomb something!

I love this! I really want to be there!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thank you very much! Everyone here is a big inspiration to me! I love macro and my goal is to get pictures like Freebooter. My next lens purchase is going to be the 55-200mm VR, then I will get the 105mm macro soon after. I'm debating between the Sigma 105mm or the Nikon 105mm, the Nikon is twice as much as the sigma though!

You might want to look at some older Nikkor 105 macros (I don't know much about them myself, but check them out) and even if they require the screw-motor auto focus, you'll probably do fine using them with manual focus on your D40. Just use a tripod, and focus manually - does anyone really use autofocus on macro shots? other than with point 'n shoots?

That's awesome how you got him right in the middle of flight! I looks like he is getting ready to dive bomb something!
Yes, it was a lucky shot. I had the camera ready for some grab shots, and this gull was sitting on the railing. I heard a kid running up behind me, figured he'd spook, and had a chance to grab a shot of this guy before he disappeared. Shows what a decent depth of focus the kit lens has at 18mm, even nearly wide open, making it a pretty good walkaround lens.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
You might want to look at some older Nikkor 105 macros (I don't know much about them myself, but check them out) and even if they require the screw-motor auto focus, you'll probably do fine using them with manual focus on your D40. Just use a tripod, and focus manually - does anyone really use autofocus on macro shots? other than with point 'n shoots?

Yes, it was a lucky shot. I had the camera ready for some grab shots, and this gull was sitting on the railing. I heard a kid running up behind me, figured he'd spook, and had a chance to grab a shot of this guy before he disappeared. Shows what a decent depth of focus the kit lens has at 18mm, even nearly wide open, making it a pretty good walkaround lens.

The kit lens that came with the D50 is almost the same one that is on the D40 right? And yea, I think that most people manual focus with macro shots anyway. That is why I didn't care about the sigma not autofocusing. But then again, $400 for a lens that won't auto focus kinda sucks.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Thanks mate! I always enjoy your shots, great color and composition. I'll second you on the wide angle lens. I have a few cathedral shots from Hermosillo, Mexico that just don't quite make it due to lack of enough wide-angle perspective.

PS: My best friend is a Welshman.

Speaking of wide angle lenses, I popped into Jessops today and looked at the Sigma 10-20mm. The sales lady informed me that it won't work on my D40x as only Nikon lenses will work on my Nikon camera. Naturally, I informed her that ACTUALLY Sigma makes lenses for Nikon and Canon, as well as their own cameras. After a bit of convincing we put the lens on one of their D40's and lo and behold, it worked fine.

Stupid lady... I can't believe she works in a photography shop and doesn't know something like that. I wasn't asking some kind of complicated question, like what kind of glass coating the lens has...

Anyway, point is, it's a lovely lens, great wide angle, and feels VERY solidly built... definitely a future investment!

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Wow! That is amazing! What PP did you do on this?
Thanks Silverbird, I especially like your last shot of the leaf with the drops! It is very reminiscent of Freebooter (who has seemed to have vanished as of late) .

Here is my post-processing:

1) Created three duplicate layers is PS.
2) Desaturated one to my liking.
3) Applied color dodge to the second layer (played with opacity).
3) Applied color burn to the third layer (played with opacity).

Then I messed around for a bit with the opacity of all three of layers until the image looked right. The eye seemed too dark at first, but came out nicely after some dodging. I then adjusted my layers and curves to add some contrast. Finally, in Lightroom, I added a subtle vignette.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Shot this the other day....youth group camp retreat, we spent a few hours at the spring, on the blob. Basically, a giant tube full of air, closed at each end. One person jumps, and when they hit it, the movement of air forces a person sitting at the other end to fly into the air. This gal was actually facing me a second earlier, I have no clue how she ended up turning 180 degrees like that...this image appealed to me because she looks like a puppet on strings or something. Only editing I did was turning it vertical.....I don't usually shoot grip-up, but it seemed appropo for alot of these shots, where people were flying up. I was along with the group solely to take pictures, they wanted to document their weekend to show the people next year what it's like to go on the trip. It's my old youth group.

Pentax *ist DS
ISO400
135mmf2.8, probably at f8. Manual lense, no exif on aperture.
1/640s
September 23, 2007
1440924294_50e002b6d1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.