Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
chromogenic print from 35mm C-41 film

Canon Elan 7E
EF 17-40mm f/4L @ 17mm
~30s (bulb) @ f/11

firewire4.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
rendezvous

A small skiff approaches a tuna fishing boat at Newport, OR harbor marina on Yaquina Bay.

DSC_5597.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 26mm - w/18-55 kit lens

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
10? Really? I guess Kodak chemicals are different, but I usually fix for 2-3 minutes, max. You print on RC or fiber?

it was 10 min for the film, the instructor i had gave me that time. it was regular fixer and not a rapid fix. according to kodak, it says 2-10 minutes depending on the film, but every box of film i've seen only lists dev times.

since then my g/f and i have set up a darkroom in her house and we bought ilford rapid fix. 5 min for film, 1/2 minute for rc paper, and 1 or 2 minutes for fiber paper. when i printed that image on rc paper, i think i fixed it for 1 min, i'll have to double check on it though.

so far i've only used ilford pearl rc paper.

camera: yashica-12
lens: 80mm yashinon 1:3.5
focal length: 80mm
aperture: f/3.5
shutter: 1/2 sec
film: ilford fp4+
iso: 125
filter: none

development:
d76 1:1 @ 10 min with agitation every 1 minute
kodak stop @ 30 sec
kodak fixer @ 10 min
water rinse
hypo wash @ 3 min
water rinse
photo flo @ 1 min

scanned with an epson 4490 at 1200 for posting to the web

photoshop:
brought the white/black sliders in to set the white/black points on the histogram
bumped up contrast

the dreaming trees

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
seenew, that is really cool! Can you explain it a little?

thanks! It's burning steel wool, tied to the end of some picture-hanging wire. It oxidizes rapidly, and as you sling it around, sparks come off, which glow for a while. I've heard it called firewire, and since we've got nothing better to call it, that's what my friends and I call it, too.

(don't do it anywhere near grass or trees or anything, it can start fires very easily. We only do it at the beach, but I guess a large parking lot would work. It sends them out about 25 feet in any direction)

oh and thanks epicwelshman

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
thanks! It's burning steel wool, tied to the end of some picture-hanging wire. It oxidizes rapidly, and as you sling it around, sparks come off, which glow for a while. I've heard it called firewire, and since we've got nothing better to call it, that's what my friends and I call it, too.

(don't do it anywhere near grass or trees or anything, it can start fires very easily. We only do it at the beach, but I guess a large parking lot would work. It sends them out about 25 feet in any direction)

Firewire...great! Loving the photography

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL

So someone was slinging it around and you took a picture? Did it burn the person? Or catch clothes on fire? I'm interested because I think I'll try this!

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
what exactly is that?

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
DSC_0215.jpg

I saw this while walking around downtown Fort Myers, FL. I loved the way it came out and I love how you can see the rain rolling in on the right.

Camera: Nikon D40
Shutter: 1/800
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 55mm
Lens: 18-55mm kit

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
So someone was slinging it around and you took a picture? Did it burn the person? Or catch clothes on fire? I'm interested because I think I'll try this!

Nah, you don't really stand much chance of being burned if you're the one slinging it, all the sparks shoot away from you. Only time you would get burned is if you let the chunk somehow come down and hit you. The pellets it sends off stay hot only momentarily, so it scares you more than hurts you if you get hit. The pieces are probably only about a quarter the size of a BB (or smaller, actually). I've only had my hair singed once, when I was standing really close to the person slinging. I recommend eye protection if you're within 25-30 feet of it, though.

Plus, like I said, make sure you don't start a fire. It's been pretty dry here lately, so we only do it on the beach, and no where near the dunes/grass.
edit: also factor in the wind. As you can see, it can affect the trajectory of the sparks significantly.

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington

Very, very cool image. :cool:

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Devoted Donkey...

The last of my Peloponnese holiday shots, this old guy found it amusing that I sprung out from behind our van to catch him unawares!
dsc0203lr6.jpg

Nikon D40x

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
optical sight in warbird...

Some kind of sight, probably a bombsight, in a vintage B-17 Flying Fortress.

DSC_5212.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/60 sec
Focal Length: 48mm - w/18-55 kit lens

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
camera: yashica-12
lens: 80mm yashinon 1:3.5
focal length: 80mm
aperture: f/16
shutter: 1/15 sec
film: ilford fp4+
iso: 125
filter: none

development:
d76 1:1 @ 10 min with agitation every 1 minute
kodak stop @ 30 sec
kodak fixer @ 10 min
water rinse
hypo wash @ 3 min
water rinse
photo flo @ 1 min

scanned with an epson 4490 at 1200 for posting to the web

photoshop:
brought the white/black sliders in to set the white/black points on the histogram
bumped up contrast

your love's the warmest place the sun ever shines

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005

the-spider.jpg

The Spider
FF S5000

[It was extremely frustrating trying to get a crisp clean shot of this guy when my camera wouldn't let me manually focus, but i'm pretty happy with how this one came out!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.