Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
"Nobody"? How were you able to canvas everybody on the planet? btw, you're wrong - I like touch screen Windows, I own a Surface Pro 7. My iPads are clearly better but that doesn't mean I disliked touch screen Windows.
Windows is absolute garbage in the touch screen/2-in-1 tablet convertible form factor. It's beyond bad for 2014 standards, let alone 2024.

And seeing that Microsoft's Surface division has struggled to turn a profit since... like forever, it would indeed appear that the majority of buyers is not very keen.

RichHI

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2018
Princeville, HI
I dumped windows when I saw how some colleagues with the top of the range Surface Pro model (in a corporate environment) kept hanging and blue screen of deathing. I am totally sold on Apple with good products at premium prices and good in store support. Just wish they would support older models more even if they charge a premium for it.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I tried several times over the years, but contrast is too low for me with e-ink.
The highest contrast isn't ideal for reading.

Analysis of results showed that both visual acuity and subjective evaluation were not affected by polarity. However, the luminance contrast was significant for both measures. Specifically, visual acuity increased as luminance contrast increased up to 8 : 1 and then decreased once the luminance contrast was greater than 8 : 1. The subjects’ perception of display quality was consistent with the visual acuity findings.
As an example, high-end books purposely do not use pure white paper or pure black ink (more like dark gray).

Reactions: alecgold

Rizop

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
The thing, Apple used a cheap mini-LED for the M1 and M2 iPad Pro as the local dimming zones are too large, which is why you get blooming in pitch black rooms with all the lights off.

With very small local dimming zones, mini-LED and micro-LED is basically the same like OLED except that is far brighter and more reliable.
I think the issue with the 12.9 iPad Pro wasn’t actually the number of dimming zones . It had 2596 on a small screen vs probably the best miniled tv ever made - the 85 inch Sony X95L , which has 860 zones . The Sony tv has almost no perceptible blooming and is as close to a Oled facsimile as you can get even in a dark room ; this being done with the far fewer zones .

I believe The issue mostly lies with Apple’s algorithm controlling the zones . Sony is the absolute best at this , while apple’s implementation happens to show significantly more blooming (albeit it’s gotten better over the years through software updates ) . Black bars on the miniled iPad are pitch black , but highlights can have some blooming

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I dumped windows when I saw how some colleagues with the top of the range Surface Pro model (in a corporate environment) kept hanging and blue screen of deathing. I am totally sold on Apple with good products at premium prices and good in store support. Just wish they would support older models more even if they charge a premium for it.

Not a problem I've had with mine.

Reactions: Jezak

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Slightly off topic, but I’ve built two windows PCs for gaming in the last 4 years and am amazed how good Windows is now. Granted I’m using top of the line kit, but it’s surprisingly good (and rock solid for me). I still like the Apple ecosystem but Windows is much improved versus 10-15 years ago. It’s actually much more stable than my 2018 and 2023 Mac minis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezak and sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Slightly off topic, but I’ve built two windows PCs for gaming in the last 4 years and am amazed how good Windows is now. Granted I’m using top of the line kit, but it’s surprisingly good (and rock solid for me). I still like the Apple ecosystem but Windows is much improved veruss 10-15 years ago. It’s actually much more stable than my 2018 and 2023 Mac minis.

Agree. I'm a retired s/w & h/w engineer and since starting back in '71, I've used dozens of operating systems - and built a few - and I'm pretty happy using it as my mainstay.

Reactions: Jezak and gusping

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD

Slightly off topic, but I’ve built two windows PCs for gaming in the last 4 years and am amazed how good Windows is now. Granted I’m using top of the line kit, but it’s surprisingly good (and rock solid for me). I still like the Apple ecosystem but Windows is much improved versus 10-15 years ago. It’s actually much more stable than my 2018 and 2023 Mac minis.

Agree. I'm a retired s/w & h/w engineer and since starting back in '71, I've used dozens of operating systems - and built a few - and I'm pretty happy using it as my mainstay.
Hi all, after two decades in Mac’s, I’ve been using windows for the last year (corporate thing). I’ve found the stability to be good, but the 2-in-1 dell laptop is useless in tablet mode. I really wanted it to work, even bought the dell pencil with usb recharging for €150, but it is hopeless. The windows OS is flawed in so many ways. And I wanted it to work, it was a brand new laptop, so I really tried to make it work for a month. But it’s wide screen is grainy and useless for reading in portrait, the pencil is trailing on screen with a horrible latency, onenote lacks so many features, Nebo on windows was slowed down and jittery, the on screen keyboard didn’t pop up when I needed it, etc etc.
and it was a €2500 laptop, ex vat corporate price. So for regular laptop work windows is really good and stable. But it’s the tablet mode that is killing.

So now I use the laptop when I absolutely need to and the iPad 99% of the time.

Reactions: cmbarclay

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Years ago I used to be Windows only until one day I got sick of all the constant blue screen of death and I threw it out the second floor window of my house (I really did). I went and bought a Mac that day and have never looked back.

Reactions: Momof9

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
Years ago I used to be Windows only until one day I got sick of all the constant blue screen of death and I threw it out the second floor window of my house (I really did). I went and bought a Mac that day and have never looked back.
You showed.. the window.. to windows. I respect that.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
There is NO way to justify the new iPad Pro if you have any of the new shape since the M1.

Let’s be totally clear - you don’t need the M4 - it’s an iPad and the M1 can do everything it does.

I’ve spent over £2000 on a Nano 1TB M4. Yes, it’s super thin. Yes, the new Magic Keyboard is much better. Maybe, just maybe you might find the OLED better. Maybe, you might prefer the nano display…

BUT unless Apple give us some mind blowing software change only available on the M4 then no one needs to upgrade. FACT.

DON’T try and justify the spending on a new IPad by listing the ‘improvements’

You all bought one because you want the latest, best iPad. That’s all.

Me too.

(the only exception to this is if you did not have an IPad pro before, then yes you can justify it if you wanted an iPad with the best specs).

I find this upgrade to be very worth it. I use my 11" iPad Pro M4 several hours every day, and compared to the M1, the upgrade is major for me. The OLED screen is infinitely better, and so is the keyboard.

Yes, the iPad isn't for everyone. Yes, many want macOS. I would never want macOS on an iPad. Part of what makes it such a good device is that it has its own dedicated OS, specifically made for a touch screen. I have tried to "emulate" the macOS experience on an iPad by connecting remotely to a Mac and it's downright horrible. It just all feels wrong.

So please don't speak for everyone. For many the upgrade may not be worth it and the iPad in general is not worth it. But for many others it definitely is.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I hear ya. I’ve been a Mac guy for years but bought a nice gaming rig with a gtx 4090 and it screams. My m3max 40 core gpu takes 20 secs in Lightroom to denoise a 50 mp image which is considered fast. takes 5 seconds on the pc. Now with the 13” ipad I wish I had not purchased the exp m3max.

• Love
Reactions: gusping

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I've found both Mac and Win very stable and "good." I like the Mac eco-system, especially if you use iPhones and iPads so I use Macs primarily, but Windows is more versatile, thanks to the large array of software available, especially games. Plus, touchscreens! The Surface Pro is really good, though it doesn't have discreet graphics power. The new Surface Laptop Studio 2 is really good 9and unique,) as are the Dell XPS line.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I hear ya. I’ve been a Mac guy for years but bought a nice gaming rig with a gtx 4090 and it screams. My m3max 40 core gpu takes 20 secs in Lightroom to denoise a 50 mp image which is considered fast. takes 5 seconds on the pc. Now with the 13” ipad I wish I had not purchased the exp m3max.

the M3 Max 40 core runs at about 16 tflops, which is gtx 4070 range. So those times check out.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

The key words: "years ago." That's just not a thing anymore, for most people.

Reactions: muzzy996

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I’m sorry but I’m going to flat you say you’re not telling the truth here. You must have known what iPad OS was or you wouldn’t have spent money somehow expecting it to be different?
As being a part of the Apple iPad since 2010 and a lot of other tech, you should never buy a piece of technology and anticipation of what they will add in the future but what it’s offering at the time of purchase because there’s no guarantees on what they will upgrade later on even if they promise something The return window of two weeks is something that I think a lot of people should take advantage of because you just don’t know if you’re gonna like it until you actually use it for a period of time

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
There is NO way to justify the new iPad Pro if you have any of the new shape since the M1.

Let’s be totally clear - you don’t need the M4 - it’s an iPad and the M1 can do everything it does.

I’ve spent over £2000 on a Nano 1TB M4. Yes, it’s super thin. Yes, the new Magic Keyboard is much better. Maybe, just maybe you might find the OLED better. Maybe, you might prefer the nano display…

BUT unless Apple give us some mind blowing software change only available on the M4 then no one needs to upgrade. FACT.

DON’T try and justify the spending on a new IPad by listing the ‘improvements’

You all bought one because you want the latest, best iPad. That’s all.

Me too.

(the only exception to this is if you did not have an IPad pro before, then yes you can justify it if you wanted an iPad with the best specs).
I may or may not have upgraded this time around coming from the 2021, but one of the biggest reasons is after visiting genius bar, and then running the test my logic board was close to failing and I wanted to buy the next model instead of getting a refurbished 2021 for the same cost over the down payment, to T-Mobile for the 2024 M4 and I’m glad I did

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I’m about to return the 1TB M4 iPad I bought for my mother too. 1 hour trying to get it to verify her Apple ID, and another 1-2 hours of trying to help her over the phone. It’s provided nothing but unhappiness. I can’t believe apple after all these years and product releases still makes it so damn hard for their customers to upgrade a device. It’s just unbelievable how stupid the migration process is. Had to erase and start the device over probably 20 times and still no dice. What a purchasing experience. Apple I am very disappointed in you all!
You can direct your mother to go to an Apple Store and they would be happy to help her migrate her data from old iPad to new iPad or you can do a FaceTime call and screen share and step her through it. My parents live in Washington and I am in California and I help them with problems on their iOS devices through screen share all the time now if you didn’t know that’s an option.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
What an odd piece of feedback from the OP.

I plan to change my aging 2nd gen iPad Pro with an M4 model this Christmas along with the Magic Keyboard. Do I need it? No. Will it replace MacOS? No, it’s not intended to do that. Would an iPad Air suffice? Absolutely, but why get an M2 when you can get an M4? 😂
I would say there are more differences between the M2 2022 iPad Pro and the new air M2 I would rather buy a refurbished 2022 IPP from Apple‘s website then the new iPad Air m2

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
"Nobody"? How were you able to canvas everybody on the planet? btw, you're wrong - I like touch screen Windows, I own a Surface Pro 7. My iPads are clearly better but that doesn't mean I disliked touch screen Windows.

Yes nobody. I’m a MF expert level and you can’t compare to me. I canvas every detail for many years.

Tablets are held in the hands. The hands are resting on the display. A desktop OS makes tablets warm and annoying to use. They are bad for your eyes and they are not efficient with resources like memory. Everyone with two brain cells and two eyes knows this. There are literally thousands of complaints of Surface tablet heat and Cintiq all in one tablet heat.

So just chill and stop having mad fantasies about desktop OS on iPad. It is actually macOS that should become as efficient as iPadOS, not iPadOS that becomes as inefficient and crusty as macOS.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes nobody. I’m a MF expert level and you can’t compare to me. I canvas every detail for many years.

Tablets are held in the hands. The hands are resting on the display. A desktop OS makes tablets warm and annoying to use. They are bad for your eyes and they are not efficient with resources like memory. Everyone with two brain cells and two eyes knows this. There are literally thousands of complaints of Surface tablet heat and Cintiq all in one tablet heat.

So just chill and stop having mad fantasies about desktop OS on iPad. It is actually macOS that should become as efficient as iPadOS, not iPadOS that becomes as inefficient and crusty as macOS.

lol. An "MF expert"? Is that some special accreditation? I'm a retired s/w & h/w engineer with 53 years' experience developing and using systems so I think I can compare. But whatever rocks your boat, go ahead.

Last edited:

Retskrad

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2022
Apple wants you to buy both the Mac and iPad separately and in the process, both product lines are stagnating. iPad without a desktop version of Chrome can’t ever be a computer replacement and the Mac without a touchscreen can’t be a consumption device like the iPad. People are voting with their wallets. In terms of revenue, both the iPad and Mac have stagnated. The Mac sees slight increase here and there but they’re both stuck in the mud. Seems like Apple is going to rethink this mess when it gets a new CEO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.