Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I did a side by side audio test of my M1 11“ iPad Pro and my M4 11” iPad Pro, and I couldn’t tell the difference.

Has the iFixit teardown confirmed that the speakers are in fact different from the prior model? Otherwise I would withhold judgment until we get more information.
It feels so odd to me that people can’t tell the difference?! You’re not the only one, but can’t you see the vibrant colours? The deep dark blacks? Almost double the brightness?

Saw a bit sloppy teardown, there are different (round instead of rectangular) speakers.

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
It feels so odd to me that people can’t tell the difference?! You’re not the only one, but can’t you see the vibrant colours? The deep dark blacks? Almost double the brightness?

Saw a bit sloppy teardown, there are different (round instead of rectangular) speakers.
You’re not crazy, I can hear the difference as well, especially in the low end and mids. Not a deal break for me. In one of my earlier replies I shared that if the 12.9” M2 IPP 9.5/10, the 13” m4 IPP would be an 8.9.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Go and take the M4 out in the sun, HUGE MASSIVE difference. I can actually use the M4 in direct sunlight, SOOO happy no other iPad or iPhone works in sunlight :(

What? I use my phone in sunlight routinely. Its total nonsense to say other devices don’t work in sunlight.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
What? I use my phone in sunlight routinely. Its total nonsense to say other devices don’t work in sunlight.

The 15's have the same 1000/1600 nit brightness iPad Pros have now. Previously, iPad Pros and older iPhones were 600 nits for regular use (the 12.9's could for 1600 units at HDR)

Reactions: alecgold

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
IMG_6347.jpeg

It’s a testament to how good the mini led screen is that it’s close to the oled, the blacks and colors are a bit better but it’s not a huge difference. Now I’m wondering if I should have got the 13”

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Ok, Thought being bigger the 13" speakers might be better.
I think the speakers in both models take a hit from the reduced thickness and speaker positioning the M2 12.9’s speakers a distinctly better than the 11” M4

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
My eyes like it, and it helps reduce wakefulness when reading in bed before sleep. Don’t you use dark mode?
you might want to consider an e-ink reader - like a kindle. No glare - just like reading a book (and quite cheap btw.)

Reactions: alecgold

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
No, they won’t.
I fear, you are right.
They could e.g. provide it in a container as an app - or at least allow the browser to pretend to be on MacOs - that alone would provide me an important use case.

Problem is not only the OS, but also the iPad Apps are restricted. If you have some more complex work-flows, it becomes very tedious to use iPadOS.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Depending What you use the M4 iPad makes a big difference. If you using it for graphic editing than there’s a big difference
If you’re using to watch movies there’s a difference As for gaming most Apps cannot take advantage of this iPad yet
Will AI be coming at the WWDC and released in September. Hopefully it will as it’s hard to
Believe Apple would build an iPad with this kind of power without a reason

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

And the OLED panel on my Apple Watch Ultra 2 does 3000 nits, murdering the OLED panel of the M4 iPad.

He really needs to calm down about his M4 iPad.

Reactions: dominiongamma

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
View attachment 2380011
It’s a testament to how good the mini led screen is that it’s close to the oled, the blacks and colors are a bit better but it’s not a huge difference. Now I’m wondering if I should have got the 13”

The thing, Apple used a cheap mini-LED for the M1 and M2 iPad Pro as the local dimming zones are too large, which is why you get blooming in pitch black rooms with all the lights off.

With very small local dimming zones, mini-LED and micro-LED is basically the same like OLED except that is far brighter and more reliable.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The thing, Apple used a cheap mini-LED for the M1 and M2 iPad Pro as the local dimming zones are too large, which is why you get blooming in pitch black rooms with all the lights off.

With very small local dimming zones, mini-LED and micro-LED is basically the same like OLED except that is far brighter and more reliable.

They didn’t use a cheap one, in fact, they used a mini-LED that has more dimming zones (2500+) than most other mini-LEDs out there. They are really small compared to, say, 500 dimming zones on many 55” TVs.

Micro LED is a different story, these also use self-emissive pixels like OLEDs and are the future, however it will be a while until we see them in iPads or even smaller TVs. They are physically large, expensive to manufacture and don’t expect them outside a few niche, super expensive, 100+ inch TVs for years to come.

TLDR: mini-LED screens on previous iPad Pros were amazing. The Tandem OLED in the new iPad Pros is better, but the jump from the previous generation is nowhere as big as it was from regular LCD to mini-LED.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I guess I’m lucky to have an Apple Store within driving distance. I can drive there and check out products before I buy them. They’re even good about answering questions. So I’ve never had to return an Apple product.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
My migration was flawless. I followed the instructions in the prepare for your order email~ — which included doing an iCloud backup. After picking up the device at the Apple Store I was prompted to setup from an existing device. I chose the old iPad and was instructed to bring it close and follow the instructions. The whole process was ridiculously easy and took max 30 minutes to migrate a 1TB M1 iPad Pro to the new M4 iPad Pro. This included settings, restore from iCloud backup and use the device for a Micrisoft Teams meeting. Having said that, there was a lady next to me who had a world of problems because her iCloud documents setup was incorrect and was advised to do a device to device transfer that had a 3 hour estimate and would set up her new M4 iPad Pro with the same broken iCloud Documents setup. I don’t know why Apple Staff didnt just move her on-device files to an external drive, set up the new iPad Pro correctly, then transfer her files to the new device and sync it to icloud which is what she wanted. Definitely a fail for staff at that Apple Store.
Hi, can you clarify... did you do a device to device transfer or a restore from icloud backup?

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
I was looking forward to the OLED screen. What a huge disappointment! The function keys on the new keyboard are much appreciated. I returned both. Hopefully, Apple will make more significant changes like adding MAC OS.

Clown thread. Nobody even likes touch screen Windows and nobody likes using desktop UI and resource hungry desktop OS on a tablet.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Clown thread. Nobody even likes touch screen Windows and nobody likes using desktop UI and resource hungry desktop OS on a tablet.

"Nobody"? How were you able to canvas everybody on the planet? btw, you're wrong - I like touch screen Windows, I own a Surface Pro 7. My iPads are clearly better but that doesn't mean I disliked touch screen Windows.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
lol 1000nits on the M4 doesn't make the M4 ipad usable in sunlight. It's brighter than the M1 600nit ipad but it's not that noticeable. The S9 Ultra is 930 nits and that came out 9 months ago, so 1000 nits on a tablet in 2024 isn't that impressive. Make the M4 10,000 nits and I would probably buy one. But if it was 10,000 nits Apple would be charge 10 times the price.

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Mesmerising!
and such an incredible difference when compared to a 2018 11” and even the m2 12,9”
but also brightness on maximum on the 2018 iPad equals 50% on the m4! I know, it’s just my mk1 eyeball, but still.
Pics or it didn't happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.