Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Can it load Google Maps without turning into a slug? I tried this with the previous base model and it was impossible. I had to give it back same day.

Just tested this - no problems with Google Maps, clicked around for about 2-3 minutes, used satellite view, street view, etc.

After setting up could you run Geekbench or some other Benchmark tool to compare the CPU? Thanks!

CPU: 3705 single/7239 multi
Compute: 27882

Will you actually test that and confirm? I already have a 29watt setup at work and will just leave it if it can maintain a charge while in use.

My spare 29W is sitting in my work office as well, will report back on Monday. :D

how does it feel speedwise? depending on your usage of course

It feels quicker than my rMB (2016 m5), but I was expecting this and would be pretty disappointed if it didn't. I haven't noticed any moments of slow or unacceptable performance yet, everything is very snappy.

Whats about the noise did you hear the MacBook Pro?

I've yet to hear the fans, even when taxing it.
[doublepost=1477742509][/doublepost]On the keyboard ...

It's the same butterfly design that the rMB uses, but this one feels different, maybe a little more refined. There may be a little more travel. It has an excellent feel (I'm a pro butterfly keyboard guy though). Also, this one doesn't appear to be picking up oils / smudges as much as the rMB... I'm pretty picky about this, and will often scrub my hands pretty good before using my computers. No matter the amount of scrubbing, I always seem to shine up my keys a little bit. The keys on this one may have some different type of coating or something; the surface of the keys has a different feel as well, kind of a softness, which may either repel or absorb oils better than the rMB keyboard.

Reactions: Abaganov
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Just tested this - no problems with Google Maps, clicked around for about 2-3 minutes, used satellite view, street view, etc.

CPU: 3705 single/7239 multi
Compute: 27882

My spare 29W is sitting in my work office as well, will report back on Monday. :D

It feels quicker than my rMB (2016 m5), but I was expecting this and would be pretty disappointed if it didn't. I haven't noticed any moments of slow or unacceptable performance yet, everything is very snappy.

I've yet to hear the fans, even when taxing it.

I just tested as well. Yes Google Maps finally works.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Picked up the entry level (8GB, 256GB) at Best Buy last night. So far, so great. That config is perfect for me. Will post some more results (i.e. battery life, performance) as I run across them. My Geekbench CPU score was just abut the same as the one posted above.

user74246

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
You guys make me jealous, still waiting for mine. Could you do me a favor and measure the height of the notebook base. I wonder how much thicker it is compared to my 13" MBA, as I really like flat laptops for typing.

The MBA base is ca. 7.5 mm thick

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I woke to a full charge, and that battery calculation in the menu bar shows 14:02 time remaining right now. Don't remember ever seeing a calculation that high on my previous MacBooks.

Of course, this is the early stage of usage.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I woke to a full charge, and that battery calculation in the menu bar shows 14:02 time remaining right now. Don't remember ever seeing a calculation that high on my previous MacBooks.

Cool! please keep us update on how the battery is doing

kattskrall

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
The thing with differentiating products is that it is fine when the cost is justified and in direct proportion of what the product can do. The value offered should be in proportion to the price demanded.

Deliberately gimping a device only for the sake of differentiation is very bad tho. i.e only having two ports, low end processors and 4 year old ram on a "pro" level laptop only to push people into buying a emoji machine is mind boggling.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
What do you guys think about the processor spec bump on this model, is it worth the $300 ?

e7992c3c72544db29098d94259af7093.png
Better save the money, and use it for memory upgrade instead.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
It's funny because this was the modell I wanted but then I've found out that there's only 2 ports, gimped CPU, butterfly keyboard.

Why is it so hard for Apple to keep that thinner, lighter Yve mantra to the rMB and make the MBP cutting edge with cutting edge prices.

MKBHD did an unboxing and he likes it but also mentioned that the keyboard doesn't have the same travel as the old MBP which is a huge downer. As a business and law student I have to type a lot I can't type on flat keyboards. Could you please mention how long it took you to get used to it.

Btw. since this is a different version does it still have the glowing logo? Which I think was kinda cool.
Btw. 2: how is the mouse support. Yes, I'm someone who likes the mouse way more than a trackpad because it's more precise for me.

The estimated battery time is amazing.

SarahKirschbaum

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
the no touch bar version has a "slower" processor...

but will it be noticeable when encoding 4k or 1080p videos? (compared to the touch bar version)

thanks!

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
So now that we know the SSD is removable, does it make any sense to do the apple SSD upgrade?
I don't know if it is a proprietary connector and what replacement options there are. It could be possible that it can only replaced with another SSD from Apple as a spare part for example.

The more I see of the non-touchbar model, the more tempted I am to buy it. I don't care about the touchbar but I do care about Touch ID, it would have been nice if this model had it. I'm also concerned about stepping down from a 15" quad core, although I don't use the power of the quad core if I'm being honest.

How are the speakers compared to the previous generation 15"? I have a 2015 15" rMBP at the moment and haven't felt the need to connect speakers to it, it's the first laptop that I've felt the internal speakers were good enough to use. It really frees up space on my desk and reduces wires around the place.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't know if it is a proprietary connector and what replacement options there are. It could be possible that it can only replaced with another SSD from Apple as a spare part for example.

The more I see of the non-touchbar model, the more tempted I am to buy it. I don't care about the touchbar but I do care about Touch ID, it would have been nice if this model had it. I'm also concerned about stepping down from a 15" quad core, although I don't use the power of the quad core if I'm being honest.

How are the speakers compared to the previous generation 15"? I have a 2015 15" rMBP at the moment and haven't felt the need to connect speakers to it, it's the first laptop that I've felt the internal speakers were good enough to use. It really frees up space on my desk and reduces wires around the place.

Do you have an Apple Watch? If so that makes login even easier than touchID. It's also really easy to approve purchases now with your phone when using a mac.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

Just to update mid-day, keeping in mind these are mid-charge results after only my first full charge last night. I'm currently sitting at 77% remaining with a calculated 2:59 of actual usage (Safari, quite a bit of streaming video, slack, e-mail, iTunes etc) and 9:03 time total since off the charger this morning. Getting a time remaining of 9:13 right now where I sit.

wchristian6

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Atlanta
Just to update mid-day, keeping in mind these are mid-charge results after only my first full charge last night. I'm currently sitting at 77% remaining with a calculated 2:59 of actual usage (Safari, quite a bit of streaming video, slack, e-mail, iTunes etc) and 9:03 time total since off the charger this morning. Getting a time remaining of 9:13 right now where I sit.
wow that is great!

Reactions: Cryates

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Do you have an Apple Watch? If so that makes login even easier than touchID. It's also really easy to approve purchases now with your phone when using a mac.
I don't unfortunately and don't have any interest in getting one. I could actually buy a series 1 watch with the difference in price between the touchbar and non touchbar models and still have change left over, lol:D

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016

If this numbers are even close to what it can hold it will be fantastic! keep us updated! :)

Reactions: Cryates

Menno87

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Netherlands, the
I ordered the bto m7 macbook 12" 2 months ago and returned it after a few days. This model seems the better choice (and wait). The CPU still seems a bit of a meh, but if this has actual better battery life then the touch model, I am all for it. Maybe with better active cooling the turbo can do a bit more. Seems like a good web development machine for on the go. I ordered it anyway to test out for myself. Arriving 2 nov.

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
I picked one up yesterday at the Apple Store in Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg IL. Had two sales people swear they didn't have any, stressing how ridiculous it was to even think they had the MBP that was announced the day before. Then a third kid said, "Yeah, we have those in back." I swear most sales guys at the Apple Store are dumber than a box of rocks. And I won't even share how they tried to explain the difference between an i5 or i7 chipset.

But back to the MBP, it's darn slick and fast. Speakers are great, too.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I currently have a retina MacBook 15" on order and I own a 12 rMB. So I'm wondering if I can get away with one of these machines instead and still come out ahead.
[doublepost=1477780221][/doublepost]Checked this out for myself at Best Buy. It was pretty much amazing. The display is absolutely gorgeous and the speaker system amazing. It looks far and away better than the 15" display of the older models. I struggled not to walk out of the store with it.

Last edited:

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
To owners: is it true that these also turn on (from off, not sleep or deep sleep) by opening the lid like in the OWC video or it was just a one-time thing for the first activation?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
To owners: is it true that these also turn on (from off, not sleep or deep sleep) by opening the lid like in the OWC video or it was just a one-time thing for the first activation?
It's true. Does it every time from a shut down. It also takes all of three seconds to launch to the sign on screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.