Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
My local Best Buy had this one on the floor to try out. Loved everything about it (that screen, wow) except that keyboard is going to take a little getting used to. I was able to compare it right next to the MacBook keyboard and while the Pro is definitely better feeling, it wasn't as big of a difference as I hoped.

Love the Space Gray color... a lot. Didn't notice any smudging so I'm gonna stick with that for my 15" order.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
It's true. Does it every time from a shut down. It also takes all of three seconds to launch to the sign on screen.
Thanks.
I'm starting to think even the no-touchbar model is equipped with a T1 chip used to turn it on and secure the facetime camera.
Another question: when completely off, does it make the "bling" charging sound when the power cable is connected?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 2016 13" Macbook Pro without Touch Bar does not have a T1 chip inside of it. It has been confirmed missing in tear downs.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
The 2016 13" Macbook Pro without Touch Bar does not have a T1 chip inside of it. It has been confirmed missing in tear downs.

Not doubting it, but can you point me to the teardown or photo where this is evident? Is it the OWC one?

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
It's true. Does it every time from a shut down. It also takes all of three seconds to launch to the sign on screen.

Nothing amazing here. My old 2010 Macbook Pro 15 with 250 gig SSD takes all of 3 seconds to launch at the sign-on screen. I'm just saying...

Reactions: g75d3

Xanix

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Look's like this model is the "underdog", of this generation. A little hidden gem and the savior, of this year's release.
The base model of this one is not that bad; good cpu, adequate memory and ssd size. An USB-C Hub is imperative!

I would really wanted to know the real battery usage... it should be more then 10 hours. Can a new owner do some tests and post, the maximum time one can get with this one?

Kind regards,
Xanix

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I would really wanted to know the real battery usage... it should be more then 10 hours. Can a new owner do some tests and post, the maximum time one can get with this one?
Currently working on it...just takes a while to run the battery down lol. Especially on the weekend when I'm not using it a ton. I can tell you that so far it looks great though.

Reactions: BondFancy

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I've got about 9 hours of use on this so far ... here are my first impressions.

Usage Profile

For reference, I've been using a 12" rMB (both 2015 and 2016 m5/512 models) since July of 2015. Prior to the rMB, I had a 13" rMBP (2013). I also have a mid-2015 rMBP 15"/512/16GB that is used for more intensive tasks (mostly Win10 virtual machines for Visual Studio work).

I use this (and used the rMB) as a mobile workhorse; meetings/notes, e-mail, web browsing/research, social media and writing. The mid-grade config rMB (512/m5) was great for this; and I expect the base rMBP to be even better (and it is, see below.)

I am not interested in the touch bar.

First Impressions

I can't put this thing down. It has provided a wonderful experience so far.

I really enjoyed the rMB "butterfly" keyboard. I can fly on these things. The butterfly keyboard on this one is even better, offering a little more satisfying "tactile-ness" in the key presses. I don't think it has much more travel, if any, but the presses feel more easily registered across all of the keys providing a satisfyingly soft click.

The trackpad is huge. My inner palms rest on the outer edges (about an inch on either side) of the trackpad while typing, but the palm rejection works beautifully. If I try to put pressure on the trackpad with either palm it will not click, no matter how hard I try. I'm not sure if the size is really necessary, but it works flawlessly. Having a large area to rest my palms in front of the keyboard also provides a comfortable typing experience.

The screen looks beautiful, though I can't really tell the difference between this one and the rMB / 15" rMBP screen which are also pristine. I'm told this one is better. It looks the same to me, though apparently has some more robust capabilities.

Performance has been great so far, no slow-downs, choppiness, lags, etc. even when trying to tax the system. It can get a bit warm in prolonged CPU intensive work; it got down-right toasty in my lap when running a Win10 VM and installing a bunch of updates while running a few flash applications in Safari. The fan was running during this time but I could not hear it without bringing the laptop to within 2-3 inches from my ear. When the tasks were complete, the machine cooled off very quickly.

As my mobile workhorse that travels with me pretty much anywhere I go, portability is very important to me. It provides about the same portability as the rMB with a larger screen and more power, and the slightly larger size and profile provides a bit more comfortable "lap" experience than the rMB (the rMB was almost too small for comfortable lap use, it would bounce around all over my lap while typing and was often too small to find a comfortable lap position for prolonged use.)

The profile, balance, size/weight of this re-design may be one of the most overlooked features, and is one of the most important for me. It just "feels" fantastic, both in use and in transit, even more so than the rMB. I feel as though this feature alone should have received a bit more attention in the unveiling event... the balance between power and size/weight/portability is nearly perfect.

I'm OK with the price I paid. My rMB (m5/512) was $1599. The base rMBP (i5/256) is $1499 and is quite an upgrade (aside from the smaller capacity SSD.)

For those entering the "no-USB / dongle required for everything" frontline, this machine may be a little painful. Since I was already vested in the rMB, I have two Apple USB-C AV Multiport adapters, a USB-C to USB adapter, and an additional 29W USB-C power adapter (which should be able to charge this thing, slowly... more on that Monday when I'm able to test it.)

Enough for now... will update the thread with more info as I continue to log more hours with it.

user74246

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
Having a large area to rest my palms in front of the keyboard also provides a comfortable typing experience.

That's the reason why I waited for a light 13" retina MacBook to replace my Air. The 12" feels uncomfortable, too little space for my hands.

Could you do me a favor and measure the thickness of the notebook base?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016

Usage Profile

For reference, I've been using a 12" rMB (both 2015 and 2016 m5/512 models) since July of 2015. Prior to the rMB, I had a 13" rMBP (2013). I also have a mid-2015 rMBP 15"/512/16GB that is used for more intensive tasks (mostly Win10 virtual machines for Visual Studio work).

I use this (and used the rMB) as a mobile workhorse; meetings/notes, e-mail, web browsing/research, social media and writing. The mid-grade config rMB (512/m5) was great for this; and I expect the base rMBP to be even better (and it is, see below.)

First Impressions

I really enjoyed the rMB "butterfly" keyboard. I can fly on these things. The butterfly keyboard on this one is even better, offering a little more satisfying "tactile-ness" in the key presses. I don't think it has much more travel, if any, but the presses feel more easily registered across all of the keys providing a satisfyingly soft click.

The trackpad is huge. My inner palms rest on the outer edges (about an inch on either side) of the trackpad while typing, but the palm rejection works beautifully. If I try to put pressure on the trackpad with either palm it will not click, no matter how hard I try. I'm not sure if the size is really necessary, but it works flawlessly. Having a large area to rest my palms in front of the keyboard also provides a comfortable typing experience.

The screen looks beautiful, though I can't really tell the difference between this one and the rMB / 15" rMBP screen which are also pristine. I'm told this one is better. It looks the same to me, though apparently has some more robust capabilities.

Performance has been great so far, no slow-downs, choppiness, lags, etc. even when trying to tax the system. It can get a bit warm in prolonged CPU intensive work; it got down-right toasty in my lap when running a Win10 VM and installing a bunch of updates while running a few flash applications in Safari. The fan was running during this time but I could not hear it without bringing the laptop to within 2-3 inches from my ear. When the tasks were complete, the machine cooled off very quickly.

As my mobile workhorse that travels with me pretty much anywhere I go, portability is very important to me. It provides about the same portability as the rMB with a larger screen and more power, and the slightly larger size and profile provides a bit more comfortable "lap" experience than the rMB (the rMB was almost too small for comfortable lap use, it would bounce around all over my lap while typing and was often too small to find a comfortable lap position for prolonged use.)

The profile, balance, size/weight of this re-design may be one of the most overlooked features, and is one of the most important for me. It just "feels" fantastic, both in use and in transit, even more so than the rMB. I feel as though this feature alone should have received a bit more attention in the unveiling event... the balance between power and size/weight/portability is nearly perfect.

I'm OK with the price I paid. My rMB (m5/512) was $1599. The base rMBP (i5/256) is $1499 and is quite an upgrade (aside from the smaller capacity SSD.)

For those entering the "no-USB / dongle required for everything" frontline, this machine may be a little painful. Since I was already vested in the rMB, I have two Apple USB-C AV Multiport adapters, a USB-C to USB adapter, and an additional 29W USB-C power adapter (which should be able to charge this thing, slowly... more on that Monday when I'm able to test it.)

Enough for now... will update the thread with more info as I continue to log more hours with it.

Fantastic review, this machine sounds like a gem

biskazz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
@WickedPorter Nice to see that you are happy with your purchase.

Being very different laptops but identically priced which one do you think will last longer?
Talking about something like 4 years.
The base MBP 13" or Dell XPS 15? The Dell is a lot more powerful which future proofs it but I have heard that it has some quality and reliability issues.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016

Being very different laptops but identically priced which one do you think will last longer?
The base MBP 13" or Dell XPS 15? The Dell is a lot more powerful which future proofs it but I have heard that it has some quality and reliability issues.

What do you intend to use it for?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016

Its all depends if you cool with the windows and like you said the reliability issues thats comes with it.
if your XPS will work smoothly it is for sure the more future proof choice as it got a quad core processor, dGPU and an option for 32gb of ram.

on the other hand, if your main thing is programming you won't need that much power anyway and like we know - nothing beats the reliability,quality and form factor of the mac.

if you do choose to go with base 13 - make sure you max the ram to 16gb and you should be fine for the next few years.

Reactions: hj576

biskazz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
if you do choose to go with base 13 - make sure you max the ram to 16gb and you should be fine for the next few years.

Thanks,

Waiting for maxed-out ram on the base 13 totally means I'm getting it after new years where I live.
Will think about it. More advice is appreciated. :)

Also I am very curious to see what is the performance difference between the 15W and 28W models.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Usage Profile

First Impressions

I'll test charging it with the rMB charger while in use today. I picked mine up last night.

It was still in the best buy shipping box haha

Reactions: Cryates

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
One of the great things about the 12" MB is the chin, which means I carry it like a book and have never used a case for it. With the size reduction of the 13", would you feel comfortable doing that? Like carry it naked with a notepad to a meeting?

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
One of the great things about the 12" MB is the chin, which means I carry it like a book and have never used a case for it. With the size reduction of the 13", would you feel comfortable doing that? Like carry it naked with a notepad to a meeting?

Yes - I carried the rMB like this all the time and you can easily do the same with the rMBP with the new form factor.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I pre-ordered a Touch Bar 13" but I'm torn between that and this machine. I went into an Apple Store and really loved it. As someone else stated, keyboard will take getting used to but ultimately I think I'll prefer it.

I don't really care about Touch Bar, but Touch ID would be a huge time saver for me as I'm a heavy user of 1Password and they are going to enable Touch ID to access vaults. Since my master password is 20 characters and not easy to type that alone is a big deal.

However, I've heard speculation that the battery of the non Touch Bar version is larger, and thus could run for longer. If it gets 1-2 hours more of life than the Touch Bar version, I'd have to consider canceling my order of the Touch Bar version and going with this one.

Looking forward to reports on battery life.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
That's the reason why I waited for a light 13" retina MacBook to replace my Air. The 12" feels uncomfortable, too little space for my hands.

Could you do me a favor and measure the thickness of the notebook base?

~ .42" from the surface it's sitting on to the top of the base.

The base at the front is .25", not counting the bowing out of the bottom cover + pads.

2016-10-30 08.28.15.jpg

Reactions: user74246
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.