Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I pre-ordered a Touch Bar 13" but I'm torn between that and this machine. I went into an Apple Store and really loved it. As someone else stated, keyboard will take getting used to but ultimately I think I'll prefer it.

I don't really care about Touch Bar, but Touch ID would be a huge time saver for me as I'm a heavy user of 1Password and they are going to enable Touch ID to access vaults. Since my master password is 20 characters and not easy to type that alone is a big deal.

However, I've heard speculation that the battery of the non Touch Bar version is larger, and thus could run for longer. If it gets 1-2 hours more of life than the Touch Bar version, I'd have to consider canceling my order of the Touch Bar version and going with this one.

Looking forward to reports on battery life.
The non-Touch Bar version having a bigger battery is not speculation, it's a fact! 54.5Wh vs 49.2Wh. Here's a screenshot of the battery specs of both models from Apple.com:
mbp battery.PNG

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I just don't get why they've removed 1 microphone and 2 thunderbolt ports, it's just no-sense

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
The non-Touch Bar version having a bigger battery is not speculation, it's a fact! 54.5Wh vs 49.2Wh. Here's a screenshot of the battery specs of both models from Apple.com:
View attachment 669158

Sorry, what I meant is speculation that battery life is better with the non-Touch Bar version. Apple didn't mention that (why?) and we don't yet know that it's true.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sorry, what I meant is speculation that battery life is better with the non-Touch Bar version. Apple didn't mention that (why?) and we don't yet know that it's true.

I would guess they didn't mention the battery life because they want to push people to the TB variant.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
can someone PLEASE pretty PLEASE post pics of rMB with new rMBP side by side just in general, i think we'd love to see that

and particularly a side, level shot so we can see how raised every keyboard is since there seems to be conflicting info surrounding that piece/ymmv?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
so key travel is the same but feels more substantial click-y, from something under the keys

fwiw, i think there's two different types of rMB keyboards, one that's squishy and a large majority of them, and mine which is a bit more clicky which i personally prefer,

thats going to be a supreme disappointment for people who cant stand the 12" rMB keyboard

if anything, it makes the 13" 8/256 2015 model seem a lot more desirable at $1189

12" rMB has made me miss Magsafe honestly, though I can do without

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Ive ordered the base model and it will arrive on Wednesday. I will put it through it's paces for my usual (admittedly light) usage pattern and see how it goes and either:

• Keep it.
  • Return it and order it with BTO 16GB RAM.
  • Return it and order the Touchbar version with BTO 16GB RAM for delivery in December.
  • Return it and stick with my current 15" but buy an iPad Pro 9.7" for Uni.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Setting it up now. Instantly notice how beautiful the screen is. The keyboard definitely has more travel than the rMB, closer to the magic keyboard.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
No worries! I think it's fair to assume Apple didn't want to tell people the cheaper model has better battery life. The battery is 10,7% bigger, and with the lower power processor and lack of Touch Bar needing power, I think roughly 15% better battery life is to be expected. But it's all speculation at this point. Battery life comparisons will be interesting once the Touch Bar model is released.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
View attachment 669158
Will this difference in Wh result in at least an hour more of power? Would be interesting if someone could tell us.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Will this difference in Wh result in at least an hour more of power? Would be interesting if someone could tell us.

As the person above said that is 10.7%, so that alone equals an hour more battery life. Then you add in a low power CPU and no touch bar. That last part will take real world use to see how much of a different it makes. Mine came with 90% power and said 10 hour and 15 minutes battery remaining.

Reactions: polee

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
That depends how you use it. If you use it lightly (roughly 7-9 hours battery life) it should give an hour extra. If you use it hard, resulting in 3-4 hours battery life it might only give half an hour extra. Add 11-15% to whatever the expected battery life is and you have your answer.

Reactions: polee

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Any battery tests won't really be accurate anyways for each person. It's all based on a persons method of use. Right now, I've actually used mine for 7:05 and I'm at 37% battery life left. Taken off the charger at 7:30am yesterday and this is on the first full charge.

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
can someone PLEASE pretty PLEASE post pics of rMB with new rMBP side by side just in general, i think we'd love to see that

and particularly a side, level shot so we can see how raised every keyboard is since there seems to be conflicting info surrounding that piece/ymmv?

I don't have any side, level shots, but here is a picture I took that shows the footprint of the 12" rMB (on top), the new 13" MBP Base Model, and my old 13" MB Air on the bottom. I am very impressed by how much smaller the footprint of the new MBP is than the Air!

MacBookComp.JPG

Reactions: thadoggfather

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Portability on the 2016 13" MBP vs 12" MacBook..is really a non-issue. You're sacrificing a a small amount difference in size for better functionality. In the end, worth it. I had, and sold, my rMB to get the base model.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Portability on the 2016 13" MBP vs 12" MacBook..is really a non-issue. You're sacrificing a a small amount difference in size for better functionality. In the end, worth it. I had, and sold, my rMB to get the base model.

The weight is the biggest difference. Everything feels like a tank compared to the 12"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.