Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

vs40

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2016
Hi, folks!
I'm looking for some native and lightweight alternative for Brother iPrint&Scan to work with scanner in Brother DCP-L2530DW.
Brother iPrint&Scan is not native and can use up to 1.6GB RAM even for easy tasks like simple scan.
Yes, you can use integrated scan function in macOS, but it is very limited, with no OCR or user presets.
It would be great to find something similar to NAPS2 on Windows for macOS.
https://www.naps2.com/

Reactions: Orion1

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I use the Brother app as the best option for the scanner. I haven't noticed a problem with the RAM but then I just close it when I'm done scanning and I usually do scanning in batches all at once.

In the past I have used PDF Pen to open PDFs and do embedded OCR on them. You could separate the scan and OCR process into different steps if you need to.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
I noticed you have to go to Preferences/Advanced, and then select the build type there.

Yes. That advanced option was added in the last beta, where you can now specify that you only want Apple Silicon updates from this point on. Since it seems like they are going the way of crossroad updates.

If you use the installer from the new link, it'll be native install. Definitely worth checking the option to never get an accidental intel update even if it gets released sooner.

Reactions: gank41

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
Any updates on Kindle?
2050?

i have been asking amazon for updates and keep getting vague non answers. Which is absurd. This is amazon. What the hell is their excuse for taking this long to get their apps universal or M1 native. Does the mac dev team consist of one person?

Reactions: Tagbert

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
My OCD is as bad as anyone‘s, and I want to run all Universal/Apple Silicon versions of my software as well, but actually; what does it matter if an app is not updated? Most will run on your AS Mac with not problems. Take Kindle for instance, it is a small app, and it runs just fine using Rosetta.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
2050?

i have been asking amazon for updates and keep getting vague non answers. Which is absurd. This is amazon. What the hell is their excuse for taking this long to get their apps universal or M1 native. Does the mac dev team consist of one person?
What incentive is there to spend the money and convert it if runs fine on Rosetta?

• Angry
Reactions: Basic75

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Rosetta 1 was introduced in Tiger (2005) and was no longer supported in Lion (2011). Thus it was an OSX function for 6 years...

Rosetta 2 was introduced in Big Sur (2020), and there is no reason to think it will not be around for a few years more.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
My OCD is as bad as anyone‘s, and I want to run all Universal/Apple Silicon versions of my software as well, but actually; what does it matter if an app is not updated? Most will run on your AS Mac with not problems. Take Kindle for instance, it is a small app, and it runs just fine using Rosetta.

From my experience with an M1 Air, when connected to an external monitor (and sometimes on my main display) the scrolling up and down, as well as turning pages is laggy and clunky. I had to run the app at half resolution to stop that issue from happening.

I used to use the iPad version back when it was possible to sideload but deleted it because I assumed the Kindle AS version was going to come soon..... A decision I highly regret to this day

Lycestra

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Cheesy Midwest
Rosetta 1 was introduced in Tiger (2005) and was no longer supported in Lion (2011). Thus it was an OSX function for 6 years...

Rosetta 2 was introduced in Big Sur (2020), and there is no reason to think it will not be around for a few years more.
Other benchmarks to consider are that Tiger was the first to support Intel hardware (no surprise), but then the very next version, Leopard, was the last to support PowerPC hardware. Two year overlap of legacy machine support, and the transition to Intel hardware was completed really quickly before that (1 year?). Apple Silicon has been here for over 2 years, yet the transition still has the Mac Pro hardware left on Intel.

The takeaway is that the Apple Silicon is going more slowly, so Intel support may linger longer than PowerPC did. Expectations may be for Intel hardware support for maybe a year or two past availability (maybe longer because "Pro"), and then Rosetta2 for 3-4 years after that, if history is any indication, tho I suspect a longer hardware support due to the transition, and Rosetta2 will feel like its stagnant by the time its removed. I see no reason for the APIs supported by Rosetta2 to extend beyond the version that can boot hardware (e.g. if Ventura were the last to boot on Intel, that'd also be the last developed API version for Rosetta). Already, as I understand it, Rosetta2 only supports obsolete x86_64 hardware without AVX support, while Ventura booting support requires AVX. That duality may already put Rosetta2 at a Monterey-level API..? They're maintaining 3 compiled versions of the system libraries, (arm64, x86_64 (rosetta/monterey/older), and x86_64h (ventura)), which I don't recall if PPC Rosetta did both 32 and 64bit or not. Dropping non-AVX from the system would take Rosetta and support for any intel binaries built against Monterey or older with it, similarish to Catalina dropping 32bit entirely. (longish brain dump)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
it seems nobody was intersted in what this mac arm could actually run. apparently not much for now. if you're doing anything productive obviously you're gonna have to wait a few years.

I still thinking it will be like back in day when OS X first came out arguing with Classic users/software! Not until win 10.2 came out and Steve official killed off classic did software finally update or died on vine! Looks like this will happen again once Apple finaally replaces the nMac pro to silicon that Apple will stop Universal support! We will still be alive and some shareware software makers need to make a point, support modern Macs or die on vine!

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I found this article by @howardnoakley very informative, even though I'm already well aware of how it all works. Pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.