Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
The com.apple.driver.usb.cdc.ncm is the driver that gets used with my D-Link DUBE250 2.5GbE Adapter. It doesn't have the CPU overhead that the com.apple.DriverKit.AppleUserECM driver has.
went and checked out the D-Link and ordered one for 40 EUR. seems like it plays nicely with Monterey. I'll report back how it goes!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
went and checked out the D-Link and ordered one for 40 EUR. seems like it plays nicely with Monterey. I'll report back how it goes!
I've been using mine just about everyday for the last few months and it has worked flawlessly. Someone here tested (on Big Sur probably) with hundreds of gigabytes and it was reliable. Best part is that it is using very little battery compared to the RTL8153 adapter I was using previously.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
The com.apple.driver.usb.cdc.ncm is the driver that gets used with my D-Link DUBE250 2.5GbE Adapter. It doesn't have the CPU overhead that the com.apple.DriverKit.AppleUserECM driver has.
So it won't utilize M1 CPU? Does that work reliably and does it support also Ventura?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
So it won't utilize M1 CPU? Does that work reliably and does it support also Ventura?
The driver doesn't show up at the top of the CPU utilization list in Activity Monitor like the AppleUserECM version did. That doesn't mean it doesn't use any CPU. I suspect that AppleECM driver is in user space since it is com.apple.DriverKit and is labeled as AppleUserECM. The ncm driver is probably a kext and as such won't necessarily show up separately in Activity Monitor. But overall the amount of CPU seems quite a bit lower with the D-Link.

I haven't tested on Ventura. I have a VM version of Ventura but that won't help for testing this.

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
I have an aggregate with the onboard ETH port as well as with my Anker 5-in-one Ethernet hub. However, as soon as I restart, one of the ports stops having a proper link and it shows up as "invalid link" in the aggregate details. I have to delete the aggregate completely and set it up from scratch. In some cases, the whole device is not recognized and I have to do a couple of reboots to get it working again. It has been keeping me quite annoyed in the last few months :p
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work at all, presumably because my switch doesn't support link aggregation.

I guess I would say to go ahead and pick up the adapter from Amazon and if it doesn't work then... well, it's a pretty simple return process. Not a lot to lose. :)

Reactions: dreikelvin

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Fantastic thread. I have Anker USB adapters and they've worked fine but I use WiFi the vast majority of the time. I also have the TB2 Apple adapters and I'd need a TB2 to USBC adapter. I may get one if I decide that I need the performance compared to WiFi. I think that unlikely though. Apple could put an Ethernet port in a future MacBook Pro to solve this problem.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Apple could put an Ethernet port in a future MacBook Pro to solve this problem.
An ethernet port is probably too thick to fit. The smallest I was able to find is about 0.53" which is going to be tough to fit in a 0.61" chassis (don't forget that part of that height is the screen.)

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
It’s also one of the ports that benefits the least from inclusion. Most Ethernet installations are stationary, and you can just keep a dongle on the end of the Ethernet cable.

There are certainly times, like traveling, where it’s annoying, but honestly I rarely miss its inclusion these days.

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Any of you have any idea what chipset the Belkin INC001BK-BL has?
Unfortunately, this Belkin power pass-through Ethernet dongle uses the crappy RTL8153 that requires the bad built-in CDC-ECM driver.

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
Probably not. The RTL8156B is about two years old, and is the most common variant of that chipset. That said, the RTL8156B is fine it just tends to run hotter and it has some issues above about 1.7Gbps (which is particularly bad on Linux).

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Probably not.
So the plot thickens after a better reading of the item's description - https://www.amazon.com/2-5GBase-T-RTL8156B-Ethernet-Controller-Mobilephone/dp/B0989SLQSL .

SCR-20220827-q3p.png

If you look at the screenshot, RTL8156B(S) without G suffix is mentioned twice in the product's description. I'm taking a chance and ordering it for $34 USD.

Last edited:
Reactions: NazgulRR

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
Guys I got the D-Link and did a couple restarts after setting up a new aggregate connection and it still works! So far, I am really happy with how it works. Will do some more testing in the next few days.
Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 15.55.43.png

Reactions: CubeApril

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Guys I got the D-Link and did a couple restarts after setting up a new aggregate connection and it still works! So far, I am really happy with how it works. Will do some more testing in the next few days. View attachment 2048133
Is there any problems with DUB-E250 after MacBook with either Monterey or Ventura OS waking from sleep mode?
I read Amazon reviews someone complaining about this reverting to 100Mbps after wake up.

Also do you need to remove and replug this after rebooting or power cycling Mac?

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
Is there any problems with DUB-E250 after MacBook with either Monterey or Ventura OS waking from sleep mode?
I read Amazon reviews someone complaining about this reverting to 100Mbps after wake up.

Also do you need to remove and replug this after rebooting or power cycling Mac?
I just put my mac to sleep and woke it up again - and both Ethernet interfaces are still operational at full speed. I haven't been able to test this in single mode yet but if I do this command at the terminal, it shows me the speed my current USB ethernet device is running at. en16 being the D-Link:

Code:
ifconfig en16 | grep media

this outputs the following:

Code:
media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

which means it currently runs at 1Gb/s. that makes sense since the device at the other end has a maximum speed of 1Gb/s

Reactions: 0906742

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
I just put my mac to sleep and woke it up again - and both Ethernet interfaces are still operational at full speed. I haven't been able to test this in single mode yet but if I do this command at the terminal, it shows me the speed my current USB ethernet device is running at. en16 being the D-Link:

Code:
ifconfig en16 | grep media

this outputs the following:

Code:
media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

which means it currently runs at 1Gb/s. that makes sense since the device at the other end has a maximum speed of 1Gb/s
just did the same thing on my Macbook Air M1. one of the ports did not recognize the adapter. the second one did. not sure what caused that. I set up a working single-port connection with my other ethernet-connected device and it worked perfectly - even after waking up from sleep. connection-speed is still at max. not sure what problem that guy on amazon had but it was probably either a faulty device or at the time, the OS had a bug - or third case: it was a fake comment :eek:

Reactions: 0906742

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
Thank you again! This 40$ adapter just seemed to have solved all my problems.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
just did the same thing on my Macbook Air M1. one of the ports did not recognize the adapter. the second one did. not sure what caused that. I set up a working single-port connection with my other ethernet-connected device and it worked perfectly - even after waking up from sleep. connection-speed is still at max. not sure what problem that guy on amazon had but it was probably either a faulty device or at the time, the OS had a bug - or third case: it was a fake comment :eek:
OK. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll get this one for my MBP 14".
Just out of curiosity, does that port not detecting this adapter still work with other devices? I mean port it not dead (or killed by some adapter)?

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
OK. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll get this one for my MBP 14".
Just out of curiosity, does that port not detecting this adapter still work with other devices? I mean port it not dead (or killed by some adapter)?
good one. I just plugged in some other stuff, like my old Syncrosoft elicenser dongle, plugged into a USB-C hub and it worked fine. not sure what that was, maybe just a quirk...

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
good one. I just plugged in some other stuff, like my old Syncrosoft elicenser dongle, plugged into a USB-C hub and it worked fine. not sure what that was, maybe just a quirk...
OK, definitely sounds that port is not dead. Probably some quirk in OS. Something that I've seen happening in my Windows PC's occasionally. Usually it could have been solved in device manager. I'm not that familiar with MacOS knowing how to do similar tricks there to fix this type of things.

Reactions: dreikelvin

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
Ahh nice, they must have done a new revision of it as well, since that adapter is 2.5 years old as well.

Let us know how it works if you get it!

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
So the bad news is that the $29 Plugable USBC-E2500 and the $34 ULANSeN USBC8156B both have the RTL8156B chip. This is after Plugable support told me otherwise and the description of the ULANSeN USBC8156B is a tad deceptive. I'm hoping someone finds a cheap adapter soon with the RTL8156B(S)G.

Reactions: GoGrater

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2022
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.