Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
So the bad news is that the $29 Plugable USBC-E2500 and the $34 ULANSeN USBC8156B both have the RTL8156B chip. This is after Plugable support told me otherwise and the description of the ULANSeN USBC8156B is a tad deceptive. I'm hoping someone finds a cheap adapter soon with the RTL8156B(S)G.
Might be bad luck with you getting old inventory regarding the Plugable adapter

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
If you're willing to pay $60, the StarTech US2GC30, as of revision 2, uses the RTL8156B(S)G, the third revision of the RTL8156.

It's the first ethernet adapter I've found that has given me zero issues with networking on my M1 Max. It's also cool to the touch even when pushing a ton of data. I imagine this chipset will eventually work its way down to cheaper ethernet adapters over time. I believe the Juplink also has it, according to:

Extremely glad to be done with the RTL8153. Seems to be a solid improvement over the RTL8156B as well, if maybe not worth the price difference.
where did you source this adapter? I bought two off of Amazon and still getting version 30.00. cpu runs very high when pushing max throughput with this one.

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
I also bought mine from Amazon, I assume this is one of those issues with Amazon mixing newer and older versions.

I would assume that buying it directly from StarTech should get you the most recent version?

I'm upgrading my network to 2.5GbE so should have solid performance tests soon.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I also bought mine from Amazon, I assume this is one of those issues with Amazon mixing newer and older versions.

I would assume that buying it directly from StarTech should get you the most recent version?

Thanks! I'll reach out directly to StarTech to see if they will guarantee the newest rev hardware if bought direct from them.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010

Also, with rev 30.00 pushing 2.3Gbps using iperf3, CPU usage was 180% just for the networking process. That's why i'm wanting to get the newest rev hardware. Supposedly has better hardware offload.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Reactions: jdb8167

teknodude

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2022
i'm using a Ugreen usb c hub that has the RT 8153 with no issues on MBA M1 with Big Sir. I do notice that the driver uses less cpu than my other hub that has the AX88197 ethernet. Now if the hub would detect my external monitor (sleep, wake, or replugging from different connection) consistently...

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
BTW, I had a chat with StarTech and confirmed with them that the RTL8156BG is only to be found in their US2GC30 and US2GA30 Ethernet adapters.

US2GA30 is the USB-A version of the adapter mentioned here before.

Their multiport hubs/adapters mostly use the RTL8153

Reactions: GoGrater

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Back in October, I picked up a US2GC30, and I thought that it'd have the new chip as CubeApril said, but it did not, it had the OG RTL 8156 chip as its version said it was 31.00. Luckily, I pawned it off to an acquaintance who had a Dell and needed it for their Windows laptop.

Decided I'd try one more time so I ordered a new US2GC30 from Amazon last week, and this time:

SystemInfo,png.png

Success! Be advised the package did NOT come with any nomenclature indicating a new revision. No sticker saying V2 or V3 or anything else. But, I'm glad I got the RTL8156B(S)G.

There's a dealer in the local Chinatown who sells the JUPLINK 2.5 GB USB-C to Ethernet adapter that's also supposed to have the RTL8156B(S)G for a fair ($30?) price but I didn't have time to pick it up, when I do I'll get one and report the results.

Last edited:

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
BTW, the Inateck ET1001 USB-C to 2.5Gb Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is only $17.99 but only has the original RTL 8156 chipset, not the later enhanced 8156B(S)G

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
I don't think obsessing over whether you get the "B(S)G" version of the chip makes any sense. Realtek's website is a little obscure for English speakers because it is a Taiwanese company, but as far as I can tell there is no older or newer version of the chip, just an optional feature. The reason you sometimes see "(S)" with parentheses is that Realtek wants to discuss both variants at once, since as far as Ethernet functionality and performance are concerned, the two are identical. The real part numbers are:

RTL8156BG
RTL8156BSG

The S version has a voltage regulator chip integrated into the RTL8156 package. USB devices like this need a local voltage regulator because USB provides 5V power and modern chips need 1.8V or less. So if you use the plain version of the RTL8156 in a 2.5G ethernet dongle design, you have to design in an equivalent external regulator. If you use the S version, you probably pay slightly more overall, but in return get a more compact design since the integrated regulator should save some space.

Any actual differences in performance between different RTL8156 dongles are probably due to cooling - a design which heatsinks the chip to an aluminum housing will likely do better than one with an air gap to a plastic housing.

mietzen

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
I ordered this ultra cheap one: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005030667000.html
I ordered the "silver" one but it's more like a grey "space black".

So far it's working reliable no high cpu usage etc. even VLAN is working 👍
I'm running macOS 13.3.1 (22E261) on a M1 Pro 14"

How can I check which version of RTL8156 (B? BG? BSG?) and driver I'm running?

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
I ordered this ultra cheap one: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005030667000.html

Thanks for the report. See if there's anything in the System Report under the Ethernet or USB tabs.

EDIT: just bought one for myself as well. Will report back once received as well.

Last edited:

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014

With adapter plugged in:

/Applications/System Information > USB

Look for something saying USB LAN 2.5GB in chain, then look for version number:

30.00 > original RTL8156 (the StarTech I ordered in October 2022 had this, @$%*!)
31.00 > RTL8156B
31.04 > RTL8156B(S)G (the one you want, the StarTech I ordered in March had this)

If version number isn't any of these you likely have some other Ethernet controller different from the RTL8156xxx

See:

Last edited:
Reactions: NazgulRR

Username_Required

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2023
Hi everybody,
after my internal 10GbE port of my mac mini 2018 stops working i bought the DUB-E250. It is connected to a mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+
Before the internal port stops working I get up/down the expected speeds against a NAS (10GbE, NVME SSD).
Now I get only in the upload the expected max speed (Blackmagic (260MB/s) but down only 90MB/s. The REALLY strange thing is, that testing against for example a HDD in another PC gives me 90MB/s upward (OK) but only _5_MB/s downwards.
Does anyone has a clue, what can be the reason for that?
WLAN is deactivated and also all other network stuff. Cable and also other swith (1GB) was also tested....
Thx

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
I've got several USB-C ethernet adapters:

DELL DBQBCBC064

and

Microsoft JWL-00002

they both work flawless if connected to a Macmini9,1 running macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 or a PC running Windows 10.
if connected to the MacBookAir10,1 (also running Big Sur 11.2.3) the network gets disconnected after trying to transfer multiple gigabytes. I also tried it with another M1 MacBook Air, same result.

of course all is good if I'm using Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter in combination with Apple's Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

I have been using the Belkin Ethernet to USB-C for several years and never had any problems. It also has been working flawlessly with my M1.

Ditto. The Belkin one sold by Apple worked flawlessly on my M2 Pro Mini. It was my “lifeboat” when the native Ethernet jack crapped out and I was waiting for my Genius Bar appt.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have been using the Belkin Ethernet to USB-C for several years and never had any problems. It also has been working flawlessly with my M1.

Ditto. The Belkin one sold by Apple worked flawlessly on my M2 Pro Mini. It was my “lifeboat” when the native Ethernet jack crapped out and I was waiting for my Genius Bar appt.
I was also using the Belkin model sold by Apple with my MBP in clamshell mode and it worked perfectly for ages. Then my Internet speed was upgraded to 500 Mbps and the Belkin adaptor started tripping all over itself with erratic download speeds.

I updated to the D-Link DUB-E250 2.5 Gigabit adaptor someone here suggested and it works perfectly. No CPU spikes when doing big downloads like the Belkin did either.

So I think if you have relatively modest Internet speeds the Belkin will be okay.

Reactions: Bob-K

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I've got several USB-C ethernet adapters:

DELL DBQBCBC064

and

Microsoft JWL-00002

they both work flawless if connected to a Macmini9,1 running macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 or a PC running Windows 10.
if connected to the MacBookAir10,1 (also running Big Sur 11.2.3) the network gets disconnected after trying to transfer multiple gigabytes. I also tried it with another M1 MacBook Air, same result.

of course all is good if I'm using Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter in combination with Apple's Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

I just use a HORI USB-A to ethernet adapter I had with my Nintendo Switch for my Mac to get an ethernet connection, and that works perfectly even through a dongle. Dunno what problem you're having with your adapters.

Maybe it's the CAT5 cord that is having issues, not your adapter.

mietzen

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
With adapter plugged in:

/Applications/System Information > USB

Look for something saying USB LAN 2.5GB in chain, then look for version number:

30.00 > original RTL8156 (the StarTech I ordered in October 2022 had this, @$%*!)
31.00 > RTL8156B
31.04 > RTL8156B(S)G (the one you want, the StarTech I ordered in March had this)

If version number isn't any of these you likely have some other Ethernet controller different from the RTL8156xxx

See:

Thanks! It is the RTL8156B(S)G 👍

1682525916160.png

@NazgulRR

I hope you get the same model! If so would you try changing the mac address? Like so:
!!! Don't post your real mac address !!!

Bash:
$ sudo ifconfig en10 ether
en10: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=404<VLAN_MTU,CHANNEL_IO>
    ether ab:cd:ef:12:34:56

$ sudo ifconfig en10 ether ab:cd:ef:12:34:5a

$ sudo ifconfig en10 ether
en10: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=404<VLAN_MTU,CHANNEL_IO>
    ether ab:cd:ef:12:34:56

Seems like the drive doesn't support this (yet?).

Bob-K

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2014
Oakland, CA
I haven’t used it but Belkin makes a 2.5gb one as well. I wonder why Apple doesn’t sell it?

I've been using the D-Link DUB-E250 (which uses the .ncm driver) successfully with an M1 Max Mac Studio, running Monterey until a few weeks ago, now on Ventura 13.3.1.

I recently realized I should have a spare on hand, but at Amazon the DUB-E250 is unavailable, and they don't know when or if it will be available again. D-Link's site shows it out of stock. Other sites have it at absurd prices.

So I picked up the Belkin 2.5Gb one - model INC012 - though it costs twice as much as the D-Link. Belkin couldn't tell me which chipset it uses, but I decided to try it since Amazon returns were free.

I've only had it for an hour, but it seems fine. System Report shows that it uses a Realtek 8156 chipset and the .ncm driver. (see screen grabs)

From the post 168 above, version 31.04 is 8156B(S)G, and that's presumably the best version of 8156. But I've had no issues with the D-Link, which is version 31.00 - the 8156B.

With the Ookla Speedtest app, I got the same upload and download speeds with the Belkin as with the D-Link.

FWIW, the LEDs on the Belkin are much more subtle than the D-Link's, which can light up a dim room!

M1 Max Mac Studio
64GB RAM
Ventura 13.3.1

Attachments

• Belkin-USB-Ethernet-System Report.png
    Belkin-USB-Ethernet-System Report.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Belkin-USB-Ethernet-version.png
    Belkin-USB-Ethernet-version.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.