Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

IRC, the iPads also have corruption problems copying large files to APSF drives.
Thanks. I was thinking to format to APFS too but another guy said he has problems with this as well so I thought it’s not a solution. But now I will for sure try.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Sorry you had those problems. Ventura upgraded with zero issues for me, and just keeps working without any problems.

16” M1-Pro MBP
same with me, both on my supported m1 MacBook Air and my unsupported early 2015 MacBook Air via OCLP. Very pleased with Ventura on both systems.

ylluminate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
@The_Auryn that may not be a bad idea, but the problem I have been having and fighting with Apple now for 20 years is predominantly one of bugs that they don't work out unless I raise them in RADAR/bug tracker/Feedback Assistant now. It seems that as a software engineer myself I tend to have issues that they don't seem to catch otherwise and I have had "disagreements" with Apple's engineering team before that eventually evolve and resolve to my favor. They usually tend towards edge-case kernel issues and and oversights on preference upgrading. Frustrating, but this has been my experience time and again and more times than I can now count. I like your approach though for sure and it may just simply be necessary at this point given the enormously low quality QA process they've established as their new normal.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
So far I've run into zero issues with my 3 Macs all upgrade to 13.0. So I guess it depends on the specific third party software and hardware that you're running. But I believe the conventional wisdom is to wait until at least the x.1 or x.2 release of any OS version before upgrading a machine that is used for critical work.

ylluminate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
What I find interesting and that I very much dislike is how Apple's engineers have requested I move to Ventura three times so far - two during beta cycle and once just last week over issues I've been reporting. This has happened several times in the past as well with issues I've reported. After entertaining them a few times I got to the point where I have become angry that they push off necessary fixes to the next OS release when they could and SHOULD resolve issues that are current and present in an existing release. I find this behavior to be extremely distasteful with my own background and experience with clients in software development/engineering.

Reactions: zakarhino

Stay_Resonant

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
Base Mac Studio here.

Upgraded, had some random weird issues with my DAW and plugins, and some stuttering and poor performance in WoW. Also continuity camera did not work unless a webcam was already plugged in, and I could 'switch' to the iphone camera.

Did a clean install, and still having random issues. Black screen flickers when playing wow. Continuity camera doing the same thing. DAW is still taking longer to load up VST's and indexes them frequently which didn't happen in Monterey.

I'd debating downgrading AGAIN with a clean install of Monterey, but eventually I will upgrade, right? Continuity camera is great and works pretty well. The system seems snappy. But it does still feel like a beta.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
So far I've run into zero issues with my 3 Macs all upgrade to 13.0. So I guess it depends on the specific third party software and hardware that you're running. But I believe the conventional wisdom is to wait until at least the x.1 or x.2 release of any OS version before upgrading a machine that is used for critical work.
That is very wise, about waiting until the x.1 or x.2 release arrives before upgrading one's critical machine. For recent versions of the Mac OS, I have actually waited until the x.3 or x.4 release arrives before upgrading.

As I mentioned in another thread, I plan on testing Ventura on a bootable external SSD after OS 13.1 is released, especially given that just about all the third party apps I use are compatible with Ventura. I am curious, though, as to whether the most recent version of SuperDuper!, V3.7, works well with Ventura, and makes bootable backups like usual. I recently upgraded to V3.7 of SD, and just this past weekend, I was able to use it without any issues with both of my Macs running Monterey, V12.6.1 on my 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and V12.6 on my 2021 M1 MacBook Air. And yesterday I did test booting the Mini from that backup, and it worked fine.

ylluminate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Sadly I think at this point waiting until just before the release of macOS 14 is probably the best advice here if you can wait for MetalFX. This is just too much of a mine field to risk even a .1 update at this point since, even the 13.1 beta blew up in the same fashion for my upgrade tests.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I usually wait for months before upgrading, but unfortunately, I had to because of a critical app that was updated.

Ventura works fairly well except for some x.0 problems that I am working through and around. Most critical is the refusal to use time machine, but I use syncthing to put changed files on other machines and they get backed up there.

The weirdest problem is that the M1 mini can be idling for hours and me elsewhere from the keyboard, with nothing active and suddenly apple Music (I am not a subscriber) will load and start playing this old wacko 60s tune, "About the Bird." Changed keyboard and mouse and cables just to make sure I didn't have a flaky switch or interrupt but made no difference.

Still running that one down, but more importantly the fact that Safari and Finder(!!!) will suddenly become unresponsive and my Pro XDR will not activate on boot occasionally is much more serious and not something that I expected from Apple.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
I usually wait for months before upgrading, but unfortunately, I had to because of a critical app that was updated.

Ventura works fairly well except for some x.0 problems that I am working through and around. Most critical is the refusal to use time machine, but I use syncthing to put changed files on other machines and they get backed up there.

The weirdest problem is that the M1 mini can be idling for hours and me elsewhere from the keyboard, with nothing active and suddenly apple Music (I am not a subscriber) will load and start playing this old wacko 60s tune, "About the Bird." Changed keyboard and mouse and cables just to make sure I didn't have a flaky switch or interrupt but made no difference.

Still running that one down, but more importantly the fact that Safari and Finder(!!!) will suddenly become unresponsive and my Pro XDR will not activate on boot occasionally is much more serious and not something that I expected from Apple.
Rather bothersome that you cannot use Time Machine. Makes me wonder about SuperDuper! (which I asked about above).

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've been using the same system of updating since OS 9. I only update to the current system the week before the newest system is released. That way you get an OS with all the bugs worked out. I refuse to be a Beta tester.

I'll give you the advice a friend did many years ago; With Apple better stay one OS behind, you still get a new OS without all the issues and drama...
Same mantra and it works...

Q-6

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
For me (MM M1) it works just like Monterey. Haven't noticed any problems or worsening except new system settings which I don't like.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Can you elaborate on this? What is Microsoft constantly "blowing up" and "severe mass destruction"?
Ever since Winblows Vista, Microsoft has been a hot mess. Security holes the size you could fit a cargo ship thru, basically forced to use a security suite, updates that constantly break, constant slowness, forced updates to newer versions that are not finished when released, horrible ui, I can go on but I think it should be obvious which hardware and OS is far superior. APPLE RULES.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I installed Ventura on my 2021 MacBook Pro when it was released and I had no problems with it. I installed it on my M1 Max Studio and my M1 mini last night and have had no problems either. The Studio is new and I am in the process of migrating things off of the M1 mini to it but this has been the smoothest new release of macOS for me since Mojave.

Monterey was a nightmare for me with the memory leaks, external monitor issues, and network issues.

I completely understand that some users see some bugs and other users see other bugs, but, I have not been happy with the immediate releases of Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey but I am fine with Ventura. I have, in the past, stayed on old releases for years but I've done a wholesale move to Apple Silicon and that's obviously not an option.

I find Big Sur to be stable now. I am running it on my 2014 iMac which I am preparing to sell. That may be an option for those with 2020 Macs and earlier. I find that Monterey is about 95% stable. It is good enough for my production but I still have to reboot my systems periodically due to a networking issue. I have not run into the issue in Ventura but it can take up to two weeks to show up.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I installed Ventura on my 2021 MacBook Pro when it was released and I had no problems with it. I installed it on my M1 Max Studio and my M1 mini last night and have had no problems either. The Studio is new and I am in the process of migrating things off of the M1 mini to it but this has been the smoothest new release of macOS for me since Mojave.

Monterey was a nightmare for me with the memory leaks, external monitor issues, and network issues.

I completely understand that some users see some bugs and other users see other bugs, but, I have not been happy with the immediate releases of Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey but I am fine with Ventura. I have, in the past, stayed on old releases for years but I've done a wholesale move to Apple Silicon and that's obviously not an option.

I find Big Sur to be stable now. I am running it on my 2014 iMac which I am preparing to sell. That may be an option for those with 2020 Macs and earlier. I find that Monterey is about 95% stable. It is good enough for my production but I still have to reboot my systems periodically due to a networking issue. I have not run into the issue in Ventura but it can take up to two weeks to show up.
I have Ventura on my m1 MacBook Air, works absolutely perfect, not one issue. Installed it on my early 2015 MacBook Air via OCLP patch, and only issue I had was my own doing, by not reading thru it and doing the post install patch for the display, and the display would not go to sleep. Now that I did the post install patch, Ventura runs just as good on that laptop as my m1 MacBook Air.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have Ventura on my m1 MacBook Air, works absolutely perfect, not one issue. Installed it on my early 2015 MacBook Air via OCLP patch, and only issue I had was my own doing, by not reading thru it and doing the post install patch for the display, and the display would not go to sleep. Now that I did the post install patch, Ventura runs just as good on that laptop as my m1 MacBook Air.

I installed OCLP on my 2015 MacBook Pro for Monterey because I wanted the Airplay to Mac feature. It's something that requires some level of technical expertise and I think that the vast majority of people wouldn't attempt it but it is a nice option if you're running older hardware. There are only two features that I really wanted in Ventura and those are the Weather App and the Clock. Seems kind of dumb but I really love these being in Ventura.

I have not seen a lot of articles on Ventura problems. The Outlook Calendar problem is on MacRumors news today so that's a big one but there were far more on Monterey after it launched. My feeling on Monterey is that they tried to add too many features in that release. Ventura seems to be more of a stability release.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I am not on the level that the OP claims to be because my needs nowadays are somewhat basic. I have had NO issues with Ventura. It is quick and stable for my usage and that is all that matters to me.

Reactions: GlenK

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Ever since Winblows Vista, Microsoft has been a hot mess. Security holes the size you could fit a cargo ship thru, basically forced to use a security suite, updates that constantly break, constant slowness, forced updates to newer versions that are not finished when released, horrible ui, I can go on but I think it should be obvious which hardware and OS is far superior. APPLE RULES.

If you understand computing you'll realise that all the major OS's from linux to Mac OS and Windows have strengths and weaknesses. Microsoft makes some very good software and hardware products. Linux has some fantastic OS/S but-prey-why is it not more widely used....as I said, strengths and weaknesses, cast studies and usage studies.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssmed and Queen6

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I stopped reading right here. Using such a term tells me what's to follow will be lacking maturity and facts.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.