Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Apple needs to redesign the keyboard, trackpad, and other aspects of the Touchbar MBP?

• Yes

Votes: 290 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 156 35.0%

• Total voters

Queen6

macrumors G4
So glad I built a desktop instead. Still happoly surfing and typing on my early 2011 15" mbp with ssd upgrades galore and internals swapped out in 2015. I won't buy into this ecosystem hardware wise again untill they start fixing these huge mistakes and start listen to their Pro customers.

Very much agree, equally Apple has no interest in professional users, outside the kudos they bring. Pro with Apple now means - higher price tags, mediocre performance and limited usability :(

TLDR You wont be buying a new Mac anytime soon, if ever...

Q-6

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
However, I know when I started switching my family members over to Macs (around the same time I came back to them), I received a lot less "support" calls, and they've all liked having Macs more than Windows PCs.
That's funny, I had the exact same experience. I even tell people these days, if they want my help, "...then you need to buy a Mac first." :)

I just have to shake my head at these threads. My 2016 MBP has been the best computer I have ever owned. I appreciate everyone has different experiences and taste, I'm just amazed how far apart they are.

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I have ordered a 15inch/2.2ghz/32GB/1TB because I need time to switch to Linux which I will start doing soon. But if the current keyboard/touchbar/huge-trackpad continues with their next MBP, then the 2018 one will be my last macbook. And I am saying this with great sadness and frustration because osx+mbp has been a great tool for me and I really love all the macs I have used till now, the current being a maxed out 2013 rMBP which still works great, and will probably give me another 1-2 years if I keep it.

Reactions: Queen6

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
And the lack of ports does not support the "Pro" as only amateurs don't need to connect other professional equipment.
I will be respectful, and agree with a few points of yours, such as the keyboard being loud, and even the fact that the lack of ports other than USB-C can be a big adjustment, but I have to say it is above quote you said is not right....

What you are implying in your statement is that those of us who use the current gen MacBook Pros can’t use the computers in a professional manner and we are all amateurs who can’t do real work on our MacBook Pros. I’d kindly disagree. While it’s annoying at first to have to transition, some of us are resourceful enough to adapt and buy hubs or docks that have the ports we needed (they aren’t that expensive). In fact USB-C can be more professional of an option for certain users with faster transfer speeds and greater bandwidth over a single port compared to other I/O ports.

My suggestion is if you are that unhappy with the MacBook Pro, return it and find something better suited for your needs until Apple redesigns the MacBook Pro with a design suited to your needs. Nothing wrong with that, as complaining about the keyboard and USB-C ports at this point of the current MacBook Pro life cycle is rather futile. And calling those who use it amateurs is disrespectful to your fellow MR members.

Last edited:

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I disagree, I have a single hub that gives me everything I need. The dongle issue is much ado about nothing imo

I live in a country where the usb-c adoption hasnt taken off yet. Mostly usb-a peripherals till now. So yeah. It is much ado for me. My opinion is subject to my geographic location though. So we’re actually both right.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I live in a country where the usb-c adoption hasnt taken off yet. Mostly usb-a peripherals till now. So yeah. It is much ado for me. My opinion is subject to my geographic location though. So we’re actually both right.
You can’t order the hubs through the manufacturer? I personally am in the same boat as @maflynn , I much prefer the new USB-C hubs and plugging into only one port, versus having all these cords sticking out the side of the computer itself. Makes docking and undocking a piece of cake.

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
You can’t order the hubs through the manufacturer? I personally am in the same boat as @maflynn , I much prefer the new USB-C hubs and plugging into only one port, versus having all these cords sticking out the side of the computer itself. Makes docking and undocking a piece of cake.

I live in south east asia, not a lot of third party hub sellers here. Most are from
China, and i checked em online and they set the port on fire sometimes. or just break the ports. So ill wait this out. In another thread i also mentioned, i would still love the sd slot built in since most third party readers i used before, break after a while; but apple’s 2015 rmbp buillt-in sd card reader is rock solid reliable, plus built in.. so no dongles requred. Would love that back.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I live in south east asia, not a lot of third party hub sellers here. Most are from
China, and i checked em online and they set the port on fire sometimes. or just break the ports. So ill wait this out. In another thread i also mentioned, i would still love the sd slot built in since most third party readers i used before, break after a while; but apple’s 2015 rmbp buillt-in sd card reader is rock solid reliable, plus built in.. so no dongles requred. Would love that back.
I am sorry to hear that, guess I am spoiled in the US to have such easy access to electronic accessories. Funny how we take that stuff for granted sometimes.

Funny you say that about the 2015 MBP sd card reader being rock solid, as I bought a 2014 MBP used from someone, and they had fried the I/O port by using one of the Transcend SD cards to extend the storage capacity on the computer (and of course they didn't tell me the port was fried, found out when the computer would take 2 minutes to boot and I had the Genius Bar look at it).

I like the convenience of USB-C, but I agree that I don't see why they couldn't have left the SD Card reader on the current gen MBP, as a lot of photographers and media content creators have to use SD cards on their cameras, and it wouldn't have made the computer any thicker.

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I am sorry to hear that, guess I am spoiled in the US to have such easy access to electronic accessories. Funny how we take that stuff for granted sometimes.

Funny you say that about the 2015 MBP sd card reader being rock solid, as I bought a 2014 MBP used from someone, and they had fried the I/O port by using one of the Transcend SD cards to extend the storage capacity on the computer (and of course they didn't tell me the port was fried, found out when the computer would take 2 minutes to boot and I had the Genius Bar look at it).

I like the convenience of USB-C, but I agree that I don't see why they couldn't have left the SD Card reader on the current gen MBP, as a lot of photographers and media content creators have to use SD cards on their cameras, and it wouldn't have made the computer any thicker.

Yup, you dont know how lucky you got it living there. :)

Im a photographer too, and i agree with what you said on the sd card slot.

We shoot destination weddings and you can imagine how bad it would be to have a card reader dongle break down on a shoot, when you’re in an island destination with no immediate electronics shop nearby to get a replacement. Ack.

Reactions: Painter2002

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
We shoot destination weddings and you can imagine how bad it would be to have a card reader dongle break down on a shoot, when you’re in an island destination with no immediate electronics shop nearby to get a replacement. Ack.

As I am sure you have already learned from your experience as a photographer, redundancy is expensive but indispensable. Always have a backup and sometimes a backup for your backup :)

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
As I am sure you have already learned from your experience as a photographer, redundancy is expensive but indispensable. Always have a backup and sometimes a backup for your backup :)
I do that. Always have a back up. :) but we’ve had our fair share of snafu moments too. Lol :)

Reactions: SDColorado

Queen6

macrumors G4
I disagree, I have a single hub that gives me everything I need. The dongle issue is much ado about nothing imo

For your needs maybe, for mine it's a needless headache. Dongles are all good and fine until they "just don't work" then and only then will you realise.

Already been bitten by this, not looking for more of the same. As someone who works internationally the very last thing I want is more things to carry and manage.

Current MBP = Margin Book Pro with Tim & Co laughing all the way to the bank...
tim-cook.jpg
Steve was right, Apple will never sell cheap garbage...

Q-6

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
For your needs maybe, for mine it's a needless headache. Dongles are all good and fine until they "just don't work" then and only then will you realise.

Already been bitten by this, not looking for more of the same. As someone who works internationally the very last thing I want is more things to carry and manage.

Current MBP = Margin Book Pro with Tim & Co laughing all the way to the bank...
View attachment 796291 Steve was right, Apple will never sell cheap garbage...

Q-6
Actually I would say I had more USB-A hubs and device failures than USB-C failures. Most reputable brands of USB-C hubs and accessories actually will last at least as long as the older USB-A accessories did if not longer.

And I see what you did there with the Steve Jobs quote, clever, but one man’s garbage is another’s treasure... just saying. Lol

Reactions: Queen6

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Actually I would say I had more USB-A hubs and device failures than USB-C failures. Most reputable brands of USB-C hubs and accessories actually will last at least as long as the older USB-A accessories did if not longer.

And I see what you did there with the Steve Jobs quote, clever, but one man’s garbage is another’s treasure... just saying. Lol

Don't mind him. He stays mad at the current MBP situation. The USB-C situation is vastly overblown, it's basically an "I don't like change" stance. Tools change, workflows change. As a professional, you're expected to be able to adapt to changes and still be able to deliver the quality of work you were hired for with minimal downtime. If a tool is getting in your way, then that tool isn't for you.

angryminer

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
I hate this computer.

Same. Got a free one from the whole 2012 retina battery replacement thing and ultimately had to sell it and buy a 2015. Really wanted to like it, but the touch bar and keyboard made it unusable for me. No idea how anyone at Apple thought they were an improvement or even a reasonable compromise. I don't think they'll be around for too much longer, though.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
I have to say the touch bar really improved my productivity as I no longer need to move my hand away from the keyboard area. I think it was a brilliant idea by Apple to be honest.

You like not having any button feedback to the touch? You like the potential failure which other people are reporting seems kinda inevitable ie unreliable ie not something I can safely use in a pro environment where reliability is of utmost concern... I like your way of thinking and I think bettertouchtools and stuff like that can help an otherwise crippled first gen "tech" I mean they have force touch/3d touch, and have had feedback for years too so it's kinda lazy of them not to develop this stuff more. I wouldn't be surprised if we see little to no updates to that piece of hardware in the next update either, so ya you better like it cause it's probably here to stay for a while in more of less this, low light emitting grainy stage :)

Leo90

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
You like not having any button feedback to the touch? You like the potential failure which other people are reporting seems kinda inevitable ie unreliable ie not something I can safely use in a pro environment where reliability is of utmost concern... I like your way of thinking and I think bettertouchtools and stuff like that can help an otherwise crippled first gen "tech" I mean they have force touch/3d touch, and have had feedback for years too so it's kinda lazy of them not to develop this stuff more. I wouldn't be surprised if we see little to no updates to that piece of hardware in the next update either, so ya you better like it cause it's probably here to stay for a while in more of less this, low light emitting grainy stage :)

I can live with this trade off. The simplicity and dynamic offered by the Touch Bar improved my work and how I do things on my MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Hitrate

Queen6

macrumors G4
Don't mind him. He stays mad at the current MBP situation. The USB-C situation is vastly overblown, it's basically an "I don't like change" stance. Tools change, workflows change. As a professional, you're expected to be able to adapt to changes and still be able to deliver the quality of work you were hired for with minimal downtime. If a tool is getting in your way, then that tool isn't for you.

Exactly as the 2016 design MBP does get in the way...

Q-6

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
Of course, but then that's all I can respond with, i.e., my personal experience. My USB hub gives me USB-A, SD card, Mini display port. YMMV but what I have works well.
I also have one of these "Swiss Army Knife" dongles for my MBP 15" (2017 model, maxed out). I need RJ-45 (to get IT support for my Windows VM, such as domain log-in), HDMI to connect my external Display and to do presentations, USBA ports, etc. -- you get it.

In the not so far away past I just picked up ma MBP and went to the meeting room. With the 2017 model I did my first presentation recently. First thing I forgot to take with me was that dongle -- OK, back to the office to pick it up. No problem, as I'm always a little bit too early anyway.

But then this happened: after only about 2 hours everything went black. This took me by surprise, I didn't realise that my battery ran empty until one of my colleagues (all with Dell PCs) mentioned this possibility. I had to fetch my power adapter from the office to continue. You may call me stupid, but in the past my MacBooks always lasted much longer on battery. I noticed that the dongle was hot, and the Macbook probably used the GPU for the presentation, which doesn't help to safe power.

My wife still has her 2011 MPB 13" with the original battery. When I made a test, this old Macbook lasted almost 4 hours with similar load (powerpoint presentation to miniDP output). The new 15" Macbook is 200g lighter than the old 13" model, very much appreciated. But now I know I have to add in the weight (and bulk) of power adapter and dongle. Some you win -- some you lose.

At least I don't suffer on any of the 2018 Macbook syndromes, such as KP, speaker crackling, fan noise or coil whine. But now I can no longer make fun about the Dell notebooks of my colleagues who always struggle to find a power outlet close enough, now that Windows 10 no longer installs upgrades during a presentation (as I witnessed in the past several times).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
But then this happened: after only about 2 hours everything went black. This took me by surprise, I didn't realise that my battery ran empty until one of my colleagues (all with Dell PCs) mentioned this possibility. I had to fetch my power adapter from the office to continue. You may call me stupid, but in the past my MacBooks always lasted much longer on battery. I noticed that the dongle was hot, and the Macbook probably used the GPU for the presentation, which doesn't help to safe power.

[...]

My wife still has her 2011 MPB 13" with the original battery. When I made a test, this old Macbook lasted almost 4 hours with similar load (powerpoint presentation to miniDP output).

Just a quick comment on this: all MacBook Pro's with dedicated GPU have always consumed more power when connected to an external monitor. A 13" would usually outlast the 15" in this scenario, no matter which MBP model we are talking about. That said, I can comfortably give two 90 minute lectures (+breaks) using my 15" MBP connected to a projector, before needing to recharge. It's also possible that PowerPoint is drawing more power than a PDF Viewer/Keynote, no idea, since I don't use PP.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
....I just have to shake my head at these threads. My 2016 MBP has been the best computer I have ever owned. I appreciate everyone has different experiences and taste, I'm just amazed how far apart they are.
Not very far apart actually. You are just one failed key away from potentially joining the club :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.