Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
Hmm, I have had no problems with Ventura on M1 at all, works like Monterey did. But I yet have to update it from 13.0.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Jumping in on this. Ventura is a fsking hot mess. For the second time, trying to update my M1 mini from earlier Ventura install to the current version has borked the computer. I have been using Apple computers since the early 1990s and none of the OSs have been as sh!++y as Ventura. Now I am going to have to do a complete fresh reinstall of the OS and then copy files from the slow-a$$ Time Machine volume (because it's in APFS) that will take more than a day at USB3 speed.

The race to the bottom is continuing at Apple and it stupid integration with iOS.
Mac OS X Leopard, OS X Lion, OS X Mavericks, macOS High Sierra, and macOS Catalina would like to have a word with you. Ventura is perfectly fine for me so far. It's not the best iteration of macOS for sure, but it's definitely far from the worst.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
Anybody have clicking issues using the Magic Mouse on Ventura? I can single click okay and click and drag, but when I double-click to open a file, sometimes I have to do it several times to get it to work.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Anybody have clicking issues using the Magic Mouse on Ventura? I can single click okay and click and drag, but when I double-click to open a file, sometimes I have to do it several times to get it to work.
check your mouse settings in system settings; try changing tracking speed (for instance). no issues here with my MM & ventura...

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The biggest problem I'm having with Ventura is with System Settings. It was a great idea executed poorly with lots of bugs. Unfortunately I use it a lot, so stumble over many of them. I've had to force quit it a couple of times. The problems happen on my 2018 laptop as well as my brand new M2 (no migration done). If it's all working well for you, then you just aren't visiting the sections of that app that have the bugs. Also, even on my brand new M2 Max, it's sluggish.

The next biggest problem is related to SMB. My problems have been reported by others and some have said that Apple is aware of the issue. But still, it's pretty bad. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ventura-today-13-2-file-sharing-now-quit.2378064/.

Other than those two things, Ventura seems about the same as the last OS for things I use.

Reactions: halledise

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The biggest problem I'm having with Ventura is with System Settings. It was a great idea executed poorly with lots of bugs. Unfortunately I use it a lot, so stumble over many of them. I've had to force quit it a couple of times. The problems happen on my 2018 laptop as well as my brand new M2 (no migration done). If it's all working well for you, then you just aren't visiting the sections of that app that have the bugs. Also, even on my brand new M2 Max, it's sluggish.

The next biggest problem is related to SMB. My problems have been reported by others and some have said that Apple is aware of the issue. But still, it's pretty bad. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ventura-today-13-2-file-sharing-now-quit.2378064/.

Other than those two things, Ventura seems about the same as the last OS for things I use.
no issues with system settings (and i've explored all of it) on my previous intel imac, or my current M2 air and M2pro mini. not sure why you're having so much trouble...

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Monterey here too on my M2 MBAir.
way more friendly and stable than ventura imho
is this based on your actually installing and running ventura? then going back to monterey? or is it your 'opinion'...? ventura is 'friendly and stable' on both my macs (and also on my previous intel imac).

what issues were you having on ventura? 🤔....

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
no issues with system settings (and i've explored all of it) on my previous intel imac, or my current M2 air and M2pro mini. not sure why you're having so much trouble...
Apologies if I'm reading too much into your word choice. I don't just explore it, I use it a lot. The bugs are typically intermittent; you just haven't encountered them.

I can think of one bug that's not intermittent. Try to turn on stealth mode in the firewall; it seems to turn on and then just shuts itself back off. Someone else reported it on these forums and I see the same bug. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...a-this-time-its-the-firewall-options.2380134/. I'm curious if you see that bug.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North

Have to ask because it's not clear, what are you doing in system stettings that requires such frequent fiddling. Every Mac or computer I've owned I've setup to how I like and rarely have a reason to go back and adjust stuff. 🤔

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Apologies if I'm reading too much into your word choice. I don't just explore it, I use it a lot. The bugs are typically intermittent; you just haven't encountered them.

I can think of one bug that's not intermittent. Try to turn on stealth mode in the firewall; it seems to turn on and then just shuts itself back off. Someone else reported it on these forums and I see the same bug. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...a-this-time-its-the-firewall-options.2380134/. I'm curious if you see that bug.
there are always bugs, and i've read about the firewall one. but the issues you're having (which you haven't yet listed) may not be common, so... not 'bugs' per se, but 'issues you're having'.

tell us what's happening. also, as @orionquest says... how much time do you spend in settings? 🤔

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
there are always bugs, and i've read about the firewall one. but the issues you're having (which you haven't yet listed) may not be common, so... not 'bugs' per se, but 'issues you're having'.

tell us what's happening. also, as @orionquest says... how much time do you spend in settings? 🤔
I didn't plan to list them; I guess you're asking me to do that. Yuck. If I manage to remember to track it, I will gather the bugs over time and report them here. The bugs I remember are the ones I've seen recently. I did report one other related to WiFi settings. That one is intermittent, but it did settle in and decide to torment me the other night. If I remember correctly, I got System Settings to hang by clicking around too quickly; maybe I made a setting choice then quickly undid it.

Probably important to this discussion is that I'm working with a one week old computer. I'm constantly fussing over its configuration. I would say I open System Settings at least 10 times a day. Maybe I spend around 15-30 seconds in it each time. Setting up a new computer is a week long process for me. It is intertwined with having to get work done. Tomorrow is the one week mark and I have one more arduous task ahead of me; migrating a bunch of scripts off of Windows, getting Kubernetes up and my applications running on it. Maybe I'll count how many times I go into System Setting during those couple of hours I'll be spending after work tonight.

That 15-30 seconds seems like a long time. That's because I usually don't remember where things are, so I use the search. That feature is not well done because the section on the right scrolls and the thing that was searched for is often not in view. Also, they don't highlight the particular settings that match the search. I'm really getting tired of hunting for things. Probably more than other people since I struggle with my eyesight.

I love the approach to complex settings using search, but it is so much better done in other software I use. Visual Studio Code and the JetBrains products (e.g. WebStorm) are the most brilliant examples I've come across. BBEdit is pretty good, mostly because the panel on the right doesn't scroll so it's easier to find the setting you were searching for. Chrome and Firefox are good.

But it really wan't a problem on my old computer. I just didn't encounter many issues because I didn't have any things to tweak. I used System Settings infrequently.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i had no issues setting my my M2 air a few months ago, or setting up my m2pro mini this past week. i configured everything (everything clean-installed, no migration assist), occasionally change a setting... and life goes on.

sorry you're having issues.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
So far, my only problem with Ventura is trying to share files between two different Macs running Ventura, officially-supported or not, as discussed in THIS thread. Windows sharing also doesn't work, but I CAN share files to Macs running older Mac OS versions, even to my PowerMac G4 MDD running Mac OS X Tiger! (10.4.11) Until then, my workaround is to boot one of my two Intel MacBook Pros running Ventura into Target Disk Mode and transfer the files via Thunderbolt. I hope they fix this bug with 13.2.1 or maybe 13.3 in the spring.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i use universal control between my two macs (this worked with my previous intel imac and intel macbook as well). seamless moves between the 2 M2 macs; i love this feature (ie copying a file from the air to an external drive connected to the mini). brilliant!

halledise

macrumors 68000
is this based on your actually installing and running ventura? then going back to monterey? or is it your 'opinion'...? ventura is 'friendly and stable' on both my macs (and also on my previous intel imac).

what issues were you having on ventura? 🤔....
yes and yes.
obviously it's my opinion like all posts on macrumors!
and yes, monterey is way more user friendly than ventura - in my humble opinion.
my professional career is as a celebrant - for both weddings and funerals.
(too many of the latter, not so many of the former).
monterey is most suited for my needs - ventura provided embarrassments for each.
ie - music didn't sync with keynote, order of service printed weird - and that's after updating drivers for the printer.
so yes - monterey 12.6.3 is most stable

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

Well, why not tell us what "the sections of that app that have the bugs" are so we can verify? You certainly have me curious, as I use System Settings all the time and have never had an issue. You also said there were "lots" of bugs, so I would've thought I'd encountered one by now if they are so numerous.

Reactions: fisherking

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Omg so I'm not going nuts, I have been having this issue for weeks and I initially thought my magic mouse was dying (caveat I only upgraded from Monterey to 13.1 last week).

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Perhaps a “f#*@ mess“ is too strong word to use. I will echo a few other people here regarding my Ventura experience and it’s not bad at all. 🤪

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Well, why not tell us what "the sections of that app that have the bugs" are so we can verify? You certainly have me curious, as I use System Settings all the time and have never had an issue. You also said there were "lots" of bugs, so I would've thought I'd encountered one by now if they are so numerous.
Ha!! Good timing. As I wrote above, I only remember the bugs I've encountered recently. I did say I would track it while I worked yesterday and report why I used it and the bugs I encountered. Unfortunately, I did no further computer setup since I was working all day; that limited my use of settings. However, I did use it four times in the morning. One time I encountered a bug I hadn't seen before; I'll save that one for the last. Without further ado...

1 - I found myself annoyed over the ordering of results in Spotlight. I decided to check if Ventura reintroduced the ability to reorder. Even though I was disappointed, I didn't encounter a bug.

2 - I found the mouse size too small. I went to settings to put it how I had it on my old machine. I forgot where the setting was. I typed "Mouse Size" into the search. It was absolutely brilliant just how quickly I found the setting.

3 - Spotlight was searching my external drives. I went into settings and excluded them.

4 - I was taking a bunch of screenshots and was not getting the old behavior I had configured. I forgot how to set that default, so I went to settings. I typed "screenshot" in the search. There was one result - "Keyboard shortcuts". I again thought it was brilliant, but it wasn't. I clicked on that result and keyboard shortcuts opened on the wrong popup; it opened on "Modifier Keys". It should have opened on "Screenshots". That's a bug.

A lot of the bugs are at that level of triviality, but point to poor testing and a lack of attention to detail. The bug relating to the failure to turn on stealth mode (which I see is now fixed) was a serious breach of trust by the OS. If you're in a hostile network environment and you turn on stealth, it's horrific that the settings app turned it back off without you being aware.

I can't reproduce the network "Details..." bug at the moment, but it was agonizing. I have two ISP's, three disjoint networks, 2 ethernet VLANs through a managed switch, 3 WiFi routers. Setting up a new computer requires me to bounce around between the different networks. I have to set up host entries to the new computer from other computers and the reverse. I have to cater for when they are on WiFi or ethernet. I sometimes have to switch to static addresses to be able to get to some devices on different subnets (e.g. the switch). I was certainly exercising the network sections of settings a lot. The fact that it started failing was pretty pathetic. Other people who don't work so much with networking would not have encountered the bug.

So, one bug in four visits. That does not point to a 25% failure rate. But still...if I really paid attention, I would notice many more that I might have just ignored and quickly worked around. System Settings is at alpha level. It's a brand new app and Apple doesn't do brand new well.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I was taking a bunch of screenshots and was not getting the old behavior I had configured. I forgot how to set that default, so I went to settings. I typed "screenshot" in the search. There was one result - "Keyboard shortcuts". I again thought it was brilliant, but it wasn't. I clicked on that result and keyboard shortcuts opened on the wrong popup; it opened on "Modifier Keys". It should have opened on "Screenshots". That's a bug.

Ok, but that's about as minor of a bug as you can get, and "Screenshots" is right there in the left pane of that same popup. You were talking about literally having to force-quit System Settings. I'm more interested in a reproducible bug that results in System Settings hanging. I certainly don't think it's at alpha or even beta level. So far, I've been able to accomplish everything I did with the old System Preferences, but even more easily.

Reactions: fisherking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.