Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
This morning I had an issue with my sony tv which I use as a monitor , in the old days using the old system preferences it was easy to find things as it was sorted alphabetically , with this ridiculous pos new one it was a total nightmare

It's like they've got an ms engineer mole in there purposely destroying the os from the inside
the worrying part is that is just a change por consolidating with iOS, there was no actual problem to address. It was probably one of the best OS preferences panel out there

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the worrying part is that is just a change por consolidating with iOS, there was no actual problem to address. It was probably one of the best OS preferences panel out there
and yet some of us think it's an improvement.

'one of the best'; how many OSes are there? 🤔

jmckenzie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
As long as we're venting, I have noticed these issues with Ventura:
— SMB shares are much more sluggish now. It can take several minutes to transfer a 30 mb file over a fast network connection, where it used to take thirty seconds.
— Magic Mouse can become unusably inaccurate. Have had this happen with two different mice.

Reactions: George Dawes

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
As long as we're venting, I have noticed these issues with Ventura:
— SMB shares are much more sluggish now. It can take several minutes to transfer a 30 mb file over a fast network connection, where it used to take thirty seconds.
— Magic Mouse can become unusably inaccurate. Have had this happen with two different mice.
no issues here with my MM2. is this the newer one or the original one (with batteries)? just curious...

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
'one of the best'; how many OSes are there? 🤔
Gnome Settings, KDE Settings, and the new Windows Settings take virtually identical approaches to the new System Settings. The old Windows Control Panel is more like the MacOS's old System Preferences. I've not checked any other Linux distributions, but there might be flavors that others can report on, since there are so many. One could easily argue that the Linux distribution itself, rather than just the kernel, is the OS; by that definition, there are a ton of operating systems.

Even with so many OS's in existence, I suspect that almost all settings apps follow the pattern of the new System Settings. So, the old System Preferences probably stands out as being different. If, subjectively, a person feels the System Preferences is the better approach, then, subjectively, it would be "one of the best" of a large field of operating systems.

"one of the best" is almost always a subjective statement.

and yet some of us think it's an improvement.

The new System Settings is moving in a good direction, in my opinion. I can't quite figure out why I don't think it is yet an improvement to the old System Preferences. It could be the little bugs I find (opening the wrong popup, widgets becoming disabled, or the whole app occasionally becoming unresponsive) or just the layout (large numbers of options presented in long, scrollable lists). But it's completely subjective and I think (hope) it will get better.

We'll never know what most people feel, especially relating to an app that's rarely touched by users. There'll always be a bias towards people not liking it because it's new and unfamiliar.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I just noticed a usability issue (for me) in the new System Settings; it really never occurred to me before now. I typed "shortcut" in the search field. Up popped a ton of items. I thought "wow, so many places to visit in System Settings to work with shortcuts". But no, most of the items in the list were for the same result. Every single item in the search list with "(Shortcut)" in it refers to the same window, shown on the right. Further, all those "(Shortcut)" items are intermingled with other items that do refer to different results. It is really a pain to work through the list to visit all the places in System Settings which address shortcuts.

When I type a search term, I expect a list of all places in System Settings which are relevant. If there are 7 places which have to be checked, then I expect a list of size 7. I don't expect a list of all ways to search for that place.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 09.49.07.png

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
ARGH!

Yet another bug that's driving me crazy this morning. I've been taking lots of screenshots and have it set to just open in Preview. 50% of time time Preview immediately prompts me to save the file and 50% of the time it doesn't. I don't want it to prompt; I'll save it later if I want to. Even if the behavior is supposed to be to save immediately, then at least it should be consistent.

Jupeman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Ventura is definitely super messy, especially on the Mac Pro 2019 (Intel). .3 is better, but .6 should be much better hopefully (it usually is).

Should've stayed with Big Sur...
My Mac Pro has been a disaster since Big Sur. A Watchdog panic was introduced that has never been eradicated. (Apple gave up trying to fix it for me, sent me a new Mac Pro, same problem, they just don't want to track this down)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
My Mac Pro has been a disaster since Big Sur. A Watchdog panic was introduced that has never been eradicated. (Apple gave up trying to fix it for me, sent me a new Mac Pro, same problem, they just don't want to track this down)

And it's not going to get better. They are abandoning the Intel ship asap. 2024 marks the 5th year this machine has been out so it's most likely will be the last macOS release for us.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The more I use Ventura, the more bugs I encounter.

I just now opened notification center and decided to get rid of a few widgets. I clicked the "X" on one and the computer froze completely. Within about a minute all my monitors went dark. Eventually I had to force restart the computer.

New computer, new OS, unbelievably bad quality control.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The more I use Ventura, the more bugs I encounter.

I just now opened notification center and decided to get rid of a few widgets. I clicked the "X" on one and the computer froze completely. Within about a minute all my monitors went dark. Eventually I had to force restart the computer.

New computer, new OS, unbelievably bad quality control.
the funny thing (to me) about all of this: you can just swap out 'ventura' with 'monterey' et al, as we see these 'sky is falling' threads with every new mac OS; it's a macrumors yearly tradition 🥳

sometime soon, the next OS betas will land, and by the time of the next official release, we'll see the same thread about that one... and people (probably a lot of those complaining here) reminiscing about how much better ventura was. 🤣

and yes, there are bugs here as well, but i am (mostly) working uninterrupted... as i've done with every previous OS 👍

Reactions: MikeDr206

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
the funny thing (to me) about all of this: you can just swap out 'ventura' with 'monterey' et al, as we see these 'sky is falling' threads with every new mac OS; it's a macrumors yearly tradition 🥳

sometime soon, the next OS betas will land, and by the time of the next official release, we'll see the same thread about that one... and people (probably a lot of those complaining here) reminiscing about how much better ventura was. 🤣

and yes, there are bugs here as well, but i am (mostly) working uninterrupted... as i've done with every previous OS 👍

I think this is worse than usual. It's very rare to have to force reboot a computer after doing something so trivial like deleting a widget. I was kind of blown away by this one. Generally I can work around the problems, but this time I lost some work.

It's just slowly building for me. For a while now I've thought it's just the usual Apple carelessness. I thought, heck, it's just the new System Settings that has a lot of bugs. Unfortunately, the bugs I'm experiencing elsewhere are really starting to add up; it's worse for me this time around.

And, stop bragging that you're so lucky not to encounter bugs. You're just rubbing it in. :)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think this is worse than usual. It's very rare to have to force reboot a computer after doing something so trivial like deleting a widget. I was kind of blown away by this one. Generally I can work around the problems, but this time I lost some work.

It's just slowly building for me. For a while now I've thought it's just the usual Apple carelessness. I thought, heck, it's just the new System Settings that has a lot of bugs. Unfortunately, the bugs I'm experiencing elsewhere are really starting to add up; it's worse for me this time around.

And, stop bragging that you're so lucky not to encounter bugs. You're just rubbing it in. :)
i've clearly stated that i've experienced bugs, but have experienced bugs in all the OSes, and sometimes it's been much worse (for me; ask me about logic a few years ago 😳). still, it could also be... much better 👍

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I have another System Settings bug.

I was playing with my DNS settings, trying to contribute some understanding to another thread. I added a DNS server to my interface. When I went back later to delete it, System Settings crashed when I hit the delete button on the entry.

When I added a DNS entry and then immediately hit delete, an error popped up. When I acknowledged the error, the entire right side of System Settings became blank, even though Network was still selected on the left.

Both those happened yesterday and today, but I can't reliably reproduce them.

Here's a fun one... add a DNS entry "bozo" (well any nonsense you want). It lets you. At least the old System Preferences rejected such stuff. Data entry validation is a basic requirement. Someone could easily slip up and exit without checking carefully (e.g. entering an "i" instead of a "1").

A dumpster fire can still cook your dinner. A steaming hot mess of poo works well as fertilizer. And I'm sure some don't notice the smell when standing next to a steaming hot mess of poo cooking in a dumpster fire. You'll never catch me complaining. :)

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Is Ventura really that bad? I'm still on Monterey with no problems.

It's fine and I use it for daily production work. The only annoying thing is Settings is ridiculously bad for anything configuration related, without searching for what you are looking for.

Apple should just ditch this iOS-like screen and go back to Monterey's version. It is a classic example of trying to shoehorn SwiftUI into something that shouldn't be touched.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
The Rapid Security Response macOS 13.3.1(a) release update has an option to rollback, and I had to use it as it created a few really bad issues with my MacBook 2017 12" Intel 1.4GHz Core i7 with 16GB memory.

First, Spaces did not work well, it knew I had 9 virtual desktops but did not allow me to select any desktop. The OS deteriorated from there over the next few minutes, to the point no windows could be selected, keyboard selectively worked, I could cmd-tab to an open Terminal window but typing did nothing (since I could not use the mouse to select the Apple menu item to reboot I was hoping to use the Terminal to type the command to reboot, I ended up rsh into my MacBook and rebooting that way).

Second, if the MacBook went into screensaver, there was no way to trigger the pw entry prompt as it did not seem to notice keyboard actions and mouse movements/clicks (had to rsh to reboot).

This is the first time I had problems with MacOS Ventura on my MacBook; up until now I have had lots of problems with Ventura on my MacMini 2018/2020 Intel 3.2GHz Core i7 with 64GB memory connected to a 49" ultra-wide Dell U4919DW and two old 20" wide flat panel Dell displays. Each time I reboot the MacMini, I need to do the work-around "sudo kill -9 $(pgrep WindowServer)" to get rid of the kaleidoscope on the ultra-wide - luckily the Terminal window is on the 20" side display it shows up fine.

I am very disappointed in Apple's MacOS team for this inexcusable mess that is Ventura!
What have they done that is so different from Monterey?!
There are definitely some deep fundamental changes in Ventura creating these defects that I hope will be reverted back to working Monterey code and then enhanced with the newer functionalities.
I have not faced issues like these since installing very young linux releases 20 years ago.
I have not had such significant problems with any previous version of OSX / MacOS (since Cheetah).
Ventura is a failed experiment - what ever it was intended to be for.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The Rapid Security Response macOS 13.3.1(a) release update has an option to rollback, and I had to use it as it created a few really bad issues with my MacBook 2017 12" Intel 1.4GHz Core i7 with 16GB memory.
One thing Apple is really bad at is testing for use cases that are out of the norm. That's why some people will likely respond with "it works ok for me". I'm one of those, though I'm just two days in with the update. For example, I do wonder how many people have so many virtual desktops and, given Apple's poor testing, I doubt they tested such a situation.

Can you think of any unusual software you're running, stuff that wouldn't be really mainstream?

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
One thing Apple is really bad at is testing for use cases that are out of the norm. That's why some people will likely respond with "it works ok for me". I'm one of those, though I'm just two days in with the update. For example, I do wonder how many people have so many virtual desktops and, given Apple's poor testing, I doubt they tested such a situation.

Can you think of any unusual software you're running, stuff that wouldn't be really mainstream?

No company can reliably test for edge cases - not Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, HP, etc. The resources that would be needed to a) identify every possible combination of usage and b) actually test said edge cases would be prohibitive for even Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.